Where to mount d-lock?

starbuck
starbuck Posts: 256
edited September 2015 in Commuting chat
I want to mount my kryptonite new york lock on my bike to save me carrying it in my bag and adding an extra 3kg to my back(I can cope with the weight on the bike itself, just don't really want it on my back).

I have an orange EVO2 and when I tried fitting it to the triangle area, it would barely fit(I tried it without properly mounting the bracket and if I can squeeze it in, I don't think it would sit straight).

The only other option I think is on the seatpost, but I don't know how secure this is.

Any suggestions(for location or for fitting into triangle area)?

Comments

• tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    It's a hardtail, isn't it? You should be able to fit the d-lock so it points backwards, so it is alongside the rear wheel.

Does that make sense?
  • attica
    attica Posts: 2,362
    Alternatively, leave it at work, that way you won't need to carry it at all
    "Impressive break"

"Thanks...

...I can taste blood"
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    MIne lives at work coz it weighs about the same as the bike.
  • R_T_A
    R_T_A Posts: 488
    Attica wrote:
    Alternatively, leave it at work, that way you won't need to carry it at all

+1 - it's what I do. And have a lock at home for non-commuting journeys.
    Giant Escape R1
    FCN 8
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."
    - Terry Pratchett.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Leaving it at work is all very well if you have a proper lockup such as mine, but if its in the open air you'll be at risk of people having a practise on it, or trying to disable it.

Last thing you want to do is turn up at work to find the locks been screwed up and no way to secure the bike. :?

To secure it you can fit it under the top tube in front of the seat tube where you sit. You can get clips and straps from camping shops that might to the business. Or sow your own bag. :wink:
  • will3
    will3 Posts: 2,173
    downfader wrote:
    Leaving it at work is all very well if you have a proper lockup such as mine, but if its in the open air you'll be at risk of people having a practise on it, or trying to disable it.

Last thing you want to do is turn up at work to find the locks been screwed up and no way to secure the bike. :?

To secure it you can fit it under the top tube in front of the seat tube where you sit. You can get clips and straps from camping shops that might to the business. Or sow your own bag. :wink:

TThat' s why I keep a spare in my desk drawer. Actually it's because on the odd occasion that I take my lock home, I'm liable to forget to bring it in the next day.
  • Jamey
    Jamey Posts: 2,152
    The Kryptonite mounting brackets allow you to (brace yourself for jargon) sort of skew the lock out to the side, don't they? So the attachment between the lock and the bracket is kind of diagonal (I told you the jargon would impress you).

So instead of the lock sitting inside the central triangle of the bike, it sits alongside that triangle, slightly out to the left or right depending on your preference (I'd choose left so I could still reach in for the water bottle from the right).
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Or you can mount them on the forks at the front.
  • downfader
    downfader Posts: 3,686
    Or you can mount them on the forks at the front.

Thats interesting. Never seen that myself. :)

My locks go in a rack bag on top of the pannier. Too hot for backpacks for me as I have to ride just after the midday sun on the way home from work.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I did it in the past, before i needed to carry a laptop and stick it in my bag now. You want to mount it on the front side of the forks so if it does move into the wheel it gets pushed back out!
  • Butters
    Butters Posts: 31
    I had a similar problem to you, as I have a small frame; I just put the mounting bracket on the top tube, and angled it a bit so the lock rests against my bottle holder. I use a bit of tape to stop metal on metal clanging.
  • jedster
    jedster Posts: 1,717
    stick it in a panier

what do you mean you haven't got a panier :wink:
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    Make sure that it is mounted somewhere close to hand, just in case you need to deploy en route.... :twisted:
  • pst88
    pst88 Posts: 621
    It's a hardtail, isn't it? You should be able to fit the d-lock so it points backwards, so it is alongside the rear wheel.
    I used to mount my (non kryponite) D lock vertically on the left chainstay. The mounting bracket didn't allow for it to go horizontally which may have been better. It was fine there most of the time but I would occasionally hit it with my heal when going for it out of the saddle (not quite sure how) so in the end I didn't bother and just took it in a bag as and when required. I've also seen them mounted on the front forks which I thought was pretty neat but my forks were to fat to get the bracket around.
    Bianchi Via Nirone Veloce/Centaur 2010
  • Or you can mount them on the forks at the front.

hey man, 6 years on of your post...Anyway, I must be getting blind. I looked all over the bike to find a spot to fix the mount and found none that would not interfere with the legs or water bottle or whatever, but I did not see the fork! lol. It was invisible. Thank you for the suggestion. I tried it on the fork and it is fine. Only thing is it vibrates and rattles a lot, but this has to do with the locker itself, I think. It seems that mounting it on the front of the forks gives more vibration than mounting on the back of the fork, though.
    Thanks again.