First ride on the Allez Elite

Surf-Matt
Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
As in my other thread, got an Allez Elite (Spesh) yesterday.

It's the 2010 model and the same as the 2009 Sport (odd marketing there!).

I'm a TOTAL roadie newbie -haven't ridden one since they had friction gears on the downtube.

Takes some getting used to (an XC MTBer usually) but I love it! Pretty twitchy, every bump kills you but it goes like merde off a shovel! Also weighs naff all - my MTB is pretty light (around 23lbs) but this makes it feel like a steel Halfords special!

Wife and I (handily the same size) are going to share it - she'll use it for tris that need a road bike, I'll ride the MTB on slicks but get another one if needed.

I have nothing to compare the bike to (except the base model test rode) - brakes are better than expected, I love the gears (the bike has full Tiagra - any good?)- nice and precise, the saddle is very comfy and it looks great in bright red.

We now have four Specialized bikes!

Comments

• Surf-Matt
    I wasn't keen on the Sora shifters - just seemed a bit non intuitive and "in the way"

I'm guessing it's the road equivalent of Deore for MTBs?

Usual terrible pic taking but here it is:

P1000464.jpg
  • Infamous
    Infamous Posts: 1,130
    That looks great, I didn't like the look of it in the catalogue, but there it looks really nice.

needs more reflectors though :D
  • Surf-Matt
    Mrs Matt won't let me take them off - she's convinced I'll die (or she will) without them :oops: :lol::lol:

I managed to sneak the front light one off though... And took off the stupid plastic thing behind the cassette.

Just fitted a little Cateye Strada computer so will be able to tell how fast it goes on the next ride :D
  • is that the tricross which can be used road/offroad/tracks etc?
    My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you.
  • Surf-Matt
    Nope - the tricross has fatter tyres and is a bit heavier.

The Allez is meant to be a full on road bike, albeit entryish level (I think). Just did a 14 mile blast - suddenly manhole covers, drains and the like are quite a challenge! Good average mph and vmax though :D:D
  • looks nice..
    my cuz has a tri

i'm getting myself one soon so i can join a club
    i'll just get a peugeot ..giant ocr..or trek

how long it take you to 14 miles or didnt u bother trying?
    My father's name was Antonio Andolini... and this is for you.
  • Surf-Matt
    Averaged 15.4 mph so just under an hour. I'm very much a roadie beginner (but do a fair bit of MTBing) so not expecting anything impressive for quite some time! However it is extremely hilly around here (Truro area, Cornwall)!
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    I've found that sometimes you hit a bump and the wheel reflectors just fall off and smash on the floor :wink:
  • Surf-Matt
    Mister W wrote:
    I've found that sometimes you hit a bump and the wheel reflectors just fall off and smash on the floor :wink:

Good thinking... :wink::lol::lol:
  • cheehee
    cheehee Posts: 427
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Mrs Matt won't let me take them off - she's convinced I'll die (or she will) without them :oops: :lol::lol:

:D

MrsCheehee is the same, she still has the reflectors on her Hardrock, it does my head in :wink:

Nice bike btw Matt
  • Surf-Matt
    I managed to sneak the front one off and the rear one had to go when I fitted the Aero Wedge saddle bag - just the wheel ones left now... :twisted: :lol:
  • EdZed
    EdZed Posts: 119
    Jake151's advice about the wireless emitter is good advice - you should have the emiitter on the front of the fork blade, just in case something happens to move the emitter. If it's mounted on the front of the fork it won't end up in the wheel causing damage to your spokes, wheel or you... :cry:

A nice bike - wait 'til you try a carbon - the amount of power to you get through the stiffer frame and BB translates to even faster acceleration! :wink:
  • SBezza
    SBezza Posts: 2,173
    If the cateye sensor is on tight, it shouldn't move. I have mine on that way on both my bikes, and they don't move whilst riding, and if they move with the wheel off, as soon as you put the wheel on you would know about it.
  • Surf-Matt
    Cheers for sensor tips - my MTBs have them (VDO computers) forwards but the flaming Cateye manual told me to stick is backwards!

It's so tightly fitted that I'll have to find new zip ties if I want to move it.

Another ride - just a 12 miler. Slightly missing the lower gears (some evil hills around here) of the MTB and the braking power but LOVING the acceleration, smoothness and "tightness" of the whole thing.
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    Mrs Matt won't let me take them off - she's convinced I'll die (or she will) without them

Tell her you're more likely to die on the hills through having extra weight dragging you down :P

As for the cassette, 34 x 25 really isn't all that big but if it's not small enough try a 12-27 tooth sprocket. They're still knocking around if you look hard enough.
  • Marko1962
    Marko1962 Posts: 320
    Or even a Sram 11-28 :shock: :wink:
  • merlie
    merlie Posts: 276
    I was thinking of joining the dark side ... do the wheels buckle much more easily than an MTB ?
    Is there any more tuning that needs to be done ?
    I'm guessing there isn't any more cleaning rather a lot less cleaning than a MTB ?
    I was also gonna go gfor the Carrera rather than a spesh ... but then I'f I;m gonna go for entry level shall I go for a spesh ?
  • Surf-Matt
    Piano - I am of the mindset that I will just pedal harder up hills (one hill is a "double arrow" job on the OS map - about 28% I think) rather than change anything!

All reflectors now binned - have to say that it does feel VERY light (anyone know what a 52cm Allez Elite 2010 weighs? Feels well under 20 lbs)! My "main" MTB is a Stumpjumper HT with loads of lightening upgrades - must be around 23lbs now. It feels heavy compared to the Allez. Very impressed.

Merlie - bit of a road newbie but an old hand at MTBing. I'd say the Allez does represent great vfm. Did look at Scott as well but the top tubes are very long. Wanted a compact frame as me and Mrs Matt use it (similar size) and we wanted it to be as useable as possible.

Getting much more used to it all now - I just stand up on hills. I'm a pretty decent hill climber on an MTB so refuse to give up on any hill. If a car can get up it, so can I!

Saddle is VERY comfy (Rival), and the whole thing feels "alive" on the roads. Acceleration is amazing and the ride is very smooth compared to my MTBs.

Still don't 100% trust the brakes (I ride in the "hands up covering the brakes" position most of the time) but I'll get there in the end.

Very pleased with it.

Won't be long before I'm looking at weight shedding measures though...!
  • Cambs21
    Cambs21 Posts: 13
    I've just bought one of these,pick it up at the weekend.it's my first road bike for 20 years!
    I wasn's sure about the looks on the Specialized site,but looks great in the shop.
    The reflectors will probably 'accidentally' fall off when riding over the first slight bump in the road as well!
  • Surf-Matt
    Cambs - nice one! Keen to hear what you think!
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Yet another MTB'er here buying another road biek after selling a Allez i'ntl last winter,

Thinking of the Carrera Vanquish, Tiagra/sora as it's under £500 :D
  • Cambs21
    If you are happy with Halfords,some stores have 08 model Boardman comps for sale,at 499 pounds.Well equipped and light for the price..Combination of 105/tiagra gearing.
  • Steve_b77
    Steve_b77 Posts: 1,680
    Cambs21 wrote:
    If you are happy with Halfords,some stores have 08 model Boardman comps for sale,at 499 pounds.Well equipped and light for the price..Combination of 105/tiagra gearing.

Which ones?
  • Surf-Matt
    Boardman on my thread? Be gone with your now!

Do many of you roadies ride in the drop position? Did a bit of it today and it feels most odd BUT you do get decent brake leverage. Going to take a bit of getting used to.
  • Cambs21
    To be fair,i couldn't bring myself to buy a Boardman,great bikes,but after sales etc worth much more..Tho i know this is a constant topic on here!
    Matt,if you could upgrade one thing on the bike,what would it be?
  • Cambs21
    Off topic here,but i saw a boardman 08 in Halfords Luton last week for 499,Cambridge has a large boardman,think it was 899 last year,can't remember the model name,for 699,plus maybe a bit more off as the frame is scratched at the back...
    Anyroad,back to specialized..!
  • Surf-Matt
    Cambs - too early to tell at the moment (roadie noob). Everything seems to work fine so far. I guess it could be lighter but it's weighs a lot less than my light (23lbs) MTB!
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Boardman on my thread? Be gone with your now!

Do many of you roadies ride in the drop position? Did a bit of it today and it feels most odd BUT you do get decent brake leverage. Going to take a bit of getting used to.

most ride on the hoods, i rarely ride in the drops bar hiding from the wind. i find i brake better from the hoods as thats where my hand is normally, and my weight is slightly more even ie less all over the front.
  • Cambs21
    Picked up the 2010 Allez elite this morning,just did a quick mile round the shop car park before bringing it home,but felt fantastic!! The last road bike i had was a Falcon touring bike 20 years ago(i'm mid-thirties now..),and the difference is incredible,sharp steering,crisper gear changes etc.
    I'm using the supplied pedals/toe-clips at the moment,but reckon in couple of months once i have got confidence up i will go clipless.
    I love the shape of the bars,very comfy being that bit wider at the top,and the saddle seems comfortable,but after i take it for a reasonable ride tomorrow,i think i may be walking bandy-legged for a few days..!
  • pedrojake
    pedrojake Posts: 229
    Guys, deciding between the Allez Sport and the Elite, reckon the £200 extra is money well spent?