first proper xc ride.

BoboGib
BoboGib Posts: 73
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Since the weather has been really good recently decided to go out this afternoon for a proper xc ride. Ended up doing 9.5 miles in 1hr and 2 mins, with an average speed of 9.4 MPH.

The ride was made up of roads and muddy bridalway, ended up getting my new shoes caked in mud. Really enjoyed it and if i'm not too stiff I may do it again tommorrow.
exercise.png

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Good going!

I'd rest tomorow though, get your body used to what you are doing.

Unless you are a fit roadie ;-)
  • seataltea
    seataltea Posts: 594
    BoboGib wrote:
    Since the weather has been really good recently decided to go out this afternoon for a proper xc ride. Ended up doing 9.5 miles in 1hr and 2 mins, with an average speed of 9.4 MPH.

The ride was made up of roads and muddy bridalway, ended up getting my new shoes caked in mud. Really enjoyed it and if i'm not too stiff I may do it again tommorrow.

Oh you've gone and done it now !

I did just the same thing a year ago, a measured and timed local XC figure of eight loop, I can't ride it now without trying to beat by best ever time 11.4 miles 51m 43secs 13.2mph average.

It's a bit like a drug, a personal challenge, no point to it at all, family don't give a hoot, but it's nice to stretch yourself.

Interestingly if you build up a number of times you can judge when your body is at it's most efficient/recovered allowing for conditions.

My usual time is about 54mins and the best time was set after a period of 10 days without exercise and was fuelled by Jelly Babies !

I'm slow after drinking wine the evening before but quick after drinking beer ?!?

Thankfully bacon sarnies have no impact at all.

Good luck and here's to faster times.
    'nulla tenaci invia est via'
    FCN4
    Boardman HT Pro fully X0'd
    CUBE Peleton 2012
    Genesis Aether 20 all season commuter
  • wrx
    wrx Posts: 27
    I did the same, got a cat-eye last weekend.

Now obsessed with speed and time, it is a good way to guide progress though!

I was pleased with my max 33.4mph downhill the other day!

I have loads of hills round my way though which originally kept my average down, so trying to spank it on the downhills to even that out. All good.
  • BoboGib
    Thanks for the tips,

I actually took a wrong turn where the bridal path split so i doubt I will be doing that route for a while (too many big hills)

I'm not the fittest of people so I recorded my time and speed to hopefully watch it increase as I get fitter.

one thing I did notice though was after a while myt wrists started to ache, Is this just a case of they are not used to it or should I soften up the shocks a little?
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    brilliant!!!!!!

I managed to do 28miles in 1hr 50 the other week.....over bridle way and bumpy bumps.....
    feel shagged at the end but very very happy...

love is a drug? nah..MTBing is
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    BoboGib wrote:
    one thing I did notice though was after a while myt wrists started to ache, Is this just a case of they are not used to it or should I soften up the shocks a little?

More likely to do with your riding position. What angle are your brake levers at?

And well done on the ride! Long may it continue
  • Anonymous
    just ride no hands on the flat bits...
  • BoboGib
    King Donut wrote:

More likely to do with your riding position. What angle are your brake levers at?

Photo0181.jpg
    exercise.png
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    BoboGib wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

Well they look fine. Must be the bbq attached to the right side that's causing your grief.
    Maybe you're just getting used to it.

You could get some bar ends [controversial] which could eleviate pressure on your wrists and allow use of different muscles in your arms. I have used them in the past and find they help with longer XC rides
  • tjwood
    tjwood Posts: 328
    Regarding your wrist pain, I was suffering a similar problem, see this thread:

http://www.bikeradar.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12633489

It mostly seemed to be a mixture of positioning on the bike (to start with my saddle was too far back which meant I was putting a lot of weight through my arms) and the way I held my wrists (bent back slightly which stretches the ulnar nerve).

I have just got some new grips to encourage myself to hold my wrists properly & will see how they help.
  • BoboGib
    i've come to the conclusion that my bars are too narrow, I seem to be holding right at the end of the bar meaning my wrists are turning outwards. I'll have to measure them and see if I can get anything about an inch longer either side.

Thanks for the tips TJ, will have see about moving the saddle to.
    exercise.png
  • Anonymous
    I blame Nokia Sports Tracker for my growing addiction to mountain biking. I do the same place and routes frequently, but I have to track it every time and see if I can push it a bit further and quicker :D

Not obsessed with the speed though. Never really interested in races and time trials. It's just I feel it's not right unless I do at least as much as the last time out.

Still really unfit though, even though I'm out ever week almost and been doing it like this for more than a year.

Went out last night, first time on a weekday, and it's terrible seeing so many fit and serious bikers on the trails. Especially when they're riding up steep hills with no problem at all and I have to bail out at the first hint of a slope and walk :D

So far I tend to average an hour's worth of cycling and 10 miles (for off road, reasonably intensive stuff and mostly singletrack), though an hour's worth seems to take 2. Odd when I don't seem to stop for an hour! Might be the autopause feature on Sports Tracker though finding I'm going too slow half the time.

Might have overdone it yesterday though. Woke up in the night with a weird pins and needles and cold numb feeling in my hand. Thought it's the usual "dead hand" by sleeping on it, but it wouldn't go away. Still not quite right. Course I start Googling and now I've got everything wrong with me :shock: :D
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    BoboGib wrote:
    King Donut wrote:

Photo0181.jpg

I reckon they still look a bit flat. Look into adjusting your saddle height and position first, then sit on the bike and put your hands in a natural position on the bars, so the wrists are straight rather than twisted back, then adjust the brake levers to suit.

Don't spend money on new bars yet until you rule out the other basic stuff.
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    For all those bemoaning their fitness I can heartily recommend a committed approach to spinning classes - they are a great way of increasing power and stamina.

I have noticed a difference in my performance after 4 sessions. I also ride about 8-10 miles a day which helps too.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.