Santa Cruz Superlight.......Updated with Pics....

Chicken Fat
Chicken Fat Posts: 82
edited October 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Got the frame for a bargin price, new from Stif last week, just need to find where i'm gonna get the rest of the money to build it.

I don't really want to split my Rockhopper pro as its just perfect as it is.......

Anyway, keep 'em peeled.....it's coming....

DSC02029.jpg

Comments

• Ok Ok, call it a fiver inc. postage and I'll take it! :lol:

Seriously though, nice frame, would look lovely with some white forks 8)

Cant wait to see it take shape.
  • chorscroft
    chorscroft Posts: 254
    Simply gorgeous frame! :shock:

Very Jealous, would love a superlight!

Looking forward to the build and let us know how it rides.
  • Just about to order some wheels.....Hope pro 11 hubs in red with Mavic XM719 Rims, DT Comp spokes, tubes and Swable nobby nic tyres....

Yes or No????

CF.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    Go for XM 819s and Tubeless tyres :wink:
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • chorscroft
    Not convinced about the red.

Black, silver or gunsmoke if it was me but I'm not a blingy kind of guy. I like nice colour combos but not in an anodized in your face kinda way.

I would also be tempted to go XM819 - What's the price difference?

Nobby Nics are supposed to be great but.
  • I think I'd maybe have gold hubs etc, like the racing cars, but not red, just my opinion.

As regards the extra cost of the 819's vs the 719's its only about a fiver difference per rim, but not sure on the extra costs of the UST tyres, sealant etc.....?

:D
  • Ref: the 819's - Call me old fashioned but i'm not sure about tubeless......

I'm thinking the same about the red hubs, always had black bikes and red looked sweet but you may be right with the green frame......i'll have a think, liking the idea of gold or gunsmoke.

Def going for Fox F120 RLC forks (white) but not for a couple of weeks yet.
  • BlackSpur
    BlackSpur Posts: 4,228
    I'd say go for the 819s anyway - it gives you the option, tubeless is something you can try and convert back from if you don't like it!
    I wouldn't go for gold - It almost always looks cheap and naff IMO. Red could work if kept subtle i.e. only the occasional hint, not every possible component in ano red. I'm usually a big fan of gunsmoke but I don't think it would go with this green.

Brown would work, if they ever produce it!
    http://www.hopegb.com/page_mep_force_61.html
    "Melancholy is incompatible with bicycling." ~James E. Starrs
  • I'll have a look at the 819's.

I was only looking at the red hubs, nothing else really, don't want to over do it.
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Great looking frame pal, bike will look fab when built up.

Was looking at an orange coloured one the other day. Lovely bike.

Personally, I would go for white as a 'theme' colour... Would look great with the green 8)
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Take it back. The top tube is bent.
  • chorscroft
    Si78 wrote:
    Personally, I would go for white as a 'theme' colour... Would look great with the green 8)

I agree! White is always a good one to go for because it looks nice and clean but not overly blingy.
  • Si78
    chorscroft wrote:
    Si78 wrote:

I agree! White is always a good one to go for because it looks nice and clean but not overly blingy.

yes exactly! 'Clean' sums it up perfectly.

I reckon if I was gonna invest in a full sus, this would be the one! (at the moment!)

Orange frame, everything else white. Then again, the dark blue looks good too. And the green.... lol
  • adb1006
    adb1006 Posts: 938
    819's are an excellent rim! My mate has them with XT hubs on his rockhopper. Running them tubeless - it gets a bad rep' sometimes but if you use UST rims and tyres, it really is a piece of p1ss. My XT wheelset is tubeless and there is NO WAY i'd go back to tubes!
  • Cheers for the encouragement, i like the idea of white (forks, bars etc)

I'd have prefered the liquid blue frame and went to get one but when i got to stif they had this one frame in my size, including this RP23 shock for £550 so i can live with green with this saving........although being ex-army, i'm now liking it!!!!!

Gonna order forks and wheels, then i'm off on holiday, i'll keep everyone updated when i get back.

Cheers CF.
  • chorscroft
    £550! :shock:

New?

I'm currently trying to get myself a superlight frame and I'm hard pushed to find a used one for £600
  • I know!!! yes, it's new, i was gob smacked...... purely by chance, called in they had two in this colour, they are not doing this colour in 2010 but they are not changing the frame. They both sold within the day. Lucky to get the upgraded shock with it.
  • chorscroft
    You got the rp23?

Aarrghhh!!!! :x

Mega jealous!

So how are you planning to build it up?

Superlight XC? All mountain? Do it all trail bike?
  • Do it all trail bike i think, i've been riding since '88 so one bike for everything was always the case.......(although not the extremes).
  • Si78
    Cheers for the encouragement, i like the idea of white (forks, bars etc)

I'd have prefered the liquid blue frame and went to get one but when i got to stif they had this one frame in my size, including this RP23 shock for £550 so i can live with green with this saving........although being ex-army, i'm now liking it!!!!!

Gonna order forks and wheels, then i'm off on holiday, i'll keep everyone updated when i get back.

Cheers CF.

I reckon white rims, fork,stem, grips, saddle would look mega 8) 8) 8)

Mega deal you got too! Would have been a bargain even if it was poo brown, or bright pink lol

Really looking forward to seeing it when it's completed mate :D
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    Nice to see another Superlight... minds hidden in the rides somewhere.

Would have loved the newer one like yours tho... mines the older design with a RP3. Looking to change to a RP23 PUSH'd next year but havent got he money spare at the moment :(

Looking foward to seeing how you build it up.
  • Cheers, Get some pictures of your's up, may give me some more idea's.

I think i've decided on the final spec and once i get back off holiday i'm starting the build.

I'll keep you all updated after a couple of weeks in the red hot sun.......
  • dynamis_dk
    dynamis_dk Posts: 428
    picture are all in my thread mate.... link in my sig :)

No hints on your spec then??
  • Ok, ok, this is the plan.....

Forks: Fox F120 rlc
    Headset: Chris King No-thread
    Wheels: Hope pro2 with Mavic xm719's
    Stem: Syncros - White
    Bars: Syncros - White
    Brakes: Hope X2 with 160 Floating discs
    Chainset: Race Face Deus XC inc BB
    Rr Mech: XT
    Ft Mech: XT
    Cassette: XT
    Shifters: XT
    Seat post: Thomson Elite Layback
    Skewers: Crank Bros
    Pedals: Crank Bros Acid (or the Mallets i have)
    Tyres: Nobby Nic's 2.25
    Seat: SDG Bel Air (Or white Charge Spoon)

Just need to go on holiday next week and i'll sort it all when i get back..........

Opinions welcome....although i have sort of made my mind up.....
  • chorscroft
    Ok, ok, this is the plan.....

Forks: Fox F120 rlc
    Headset: Chris King No-thread
    Wheels: Hope pro2 with Mavic xm719's
    Stem: Syncros - White
    Bars: Syncros - White
    Brakes: Hope X2 with 160 Floating discs
    Chainset: Race Face Deus XC inc BB
    Rr Mech: XT
    Ft Mech: XT
    Cassette: XT
    Shifters: XT
    Seat post: Thomson Elite Layback
    Skewers: Crank Bros
    Pedals: Crank Bros Acid (or the Mallets i have)
    Tyres: Nobby Nic's 2.25
    Seat: SDG Bel Air (Or white Charge Spoon)

Just need to go on holiday next week and i'll sort it all when i get back..........

Opinions welcome....although i have sort of made my mind up.....

Looks like a great build. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • some bargain full groupsets including brakes and wheels at Merlin.
    Full Xt with Mavic 717s for £665. I'm sure they'd upgrade to 719s for a small fee

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/shimano-groupsets/xt-groupset-and-wheels.html
  • dynamis_dk wrote:
    Nice to see another Superlight... minds hidden in the rides somewhere.

Would have loved the newer one like yours tho... mines the older design with a RP3. Looking to change to a RP23 PUSH'd next year but havent got he money spare at the moment :(

Looking foward to seeing how you build it up.

If you get your RP3 pushed, I doubt that you 'd need the added adjustment of an RP23
  • Chaz.Harding
    Chaz.Harding Posts: 3,144
    Hmm.. Have you considered the Fox Talas 32 RLC? You can adjust to either 100, 120, or 140mm travel, is no more expensive, and is only half a pound heavier (IIRC!!).

Also, has the QR15 dropouts, so will be a tad stiffer too!

And instead of Hope X2's, how about Juicy 7's?? I've found them to be MUCH more powerful, and ALOT easier to bleed! With the Avid Juicy bleed kit, no spills, and the syringes can be used to 'vacuum' the air suspended in the oil, by closing the clip, and pulling on the syringe. Bonus!

Bloody brilliant system Avid have got!

If you are, however, set on getting Hope's, unless you weigh about 10st wet through, you'll probably need some more stopping power... So as the minimum, an upgrade to a 183 rotor on the front is essential. In my onion, of course!

But yeah, nice frame, and nice build you got lined up either way!
    Boo-yah mofo
    Sick to the power of rad
    Fix it 'till it's broke
  • Hi,

I've gone for the QR15 on the F120's for added stiffness but i will have a quick look at the talas, not sure they do the talas in white (as if it really matters about the colour..... :lol: )

I run Juicy 5's on my rockhopper and they have been fantastic, really like the avid brakes.
    For some reason though i've always wanted some hopes and as this may be the only chance i get to build something like this i think i'll go with them.

I appreciate your feedback on the size of the rotor though as i'm over 13st so i think i may go for the bigger disc.

Cheers everyone for the comments and advice..........
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    Nice bike :D

I've got a superlight which I adore - will post a pic over the next day or so, might help with some ideas! Fabulous bike, has done me proud on anything from the New Forest to the Alps :shock:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc