Recommend me a pair of less sweaty elbow pads?

Northwind
Northwind Posts: 14,675
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
I've got a pair of 661 Chicken Wings, which are OK- they stay where they're put, not too intrusive when riding, reasonably comfy... But they're HOT, the pads are fairly small but the "sock" is quite large, and almost fully enclosed. Not nice on a hot day. And tbh I'm not impressed enough by their performance otherwise to overlook the hotness. So, just wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a pad that's a bit less toasty? Elbow or elbow + forearm would be equally as good I think.
Uncompromising extremist

Comments

• Damn. Just what I didn't want to hear :(

After my weekends antics I was set on some chicken wings :(
  • ExeterSimon
    ExeterSimon Posts: 830
    POCs. Awesome. Like you're not wearing anything...pad wise!
    Whyte 905 (2009)
    Trek 1.5 (2009)
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp (2007)
  • Northwind
    mmm, I like POC stuff. Which ones do you have, the Joints or Bones?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    I used have the chicken wings but have now converted to POC bones for the arms. Much more comfortable, feel lighter and have better protection. Highly recommended!
  • Turrican
    Turrican Posts: 755
    I use the 661 Race elbow and forearm protection good pads and light too but again gets hot, i dont think there is a pad where you wont get hot in it.
    I don't have a bike addiction problem.....bikes seems to have a problem with me.....it just can't seem to stay on.

http://www.moredirt.co.uk/users/FlowRideR661/
    http://flowrider661.pinkbike.com/
  • Northwind
    Ah, I tried those on the other day, didn't like the securing method much... Looked like decent protection though. I'm sure they'll be less sweaty than the chicken wings because of the exposed inner arm though.

bigbenj, don't worry too much, the chicken wings are perfectly decent... I'm just picky, I have Kyle Strait knees and they've made me want someting as good for the arms, is all. I reckon they offer good simple low profile protection but they're not quite what I want.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    jairaj wrote:
    I used have the chicken wings but have now converted to POC bones for the arms. Much more comfortable, feel lighter and have better protection. Highly recommended!

I just googled POC bones and found this http://www.penisowner.com/poc/articles/dickcycle.html :shock: :shock: :shock:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise
  • Northwind
    That's not entirely helpful :lol:

Think I'll give the Bones a try, I had a pair of POC shorts which I loved other than the sewn-in chamois, I can't stand padded shorts and they ruined them. But a great product otherwise.
    Uncompromising extremist