Sand

richf
richf Posts: 104
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I have being doing a trail with some guys from and there is a couple of sandy bits one down a big hill and another on a straight, my question is "how the hell do you ride through sand"? I have come off a few times and its really annoying me, especially as the other 2 guys fly through it. I am a bit heavier than them but I really struggle with it!!

Cheers
Rich

Comments

• robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    If this is dry sand avoid it like the plague. There's no better way of grinding every moving part of a bike to ruin.

To get through sand easily you need the right tyres, be light on the front wheel and have good watts per kilogram.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • Hercule Q
    Hercule Q Posts: 2,781
    very quick and pull up on the front so you dont bog down and take a flying lesson

pinkbike
    Blurring the line between bravery and stupidity since 1986!
  • richf
    richf Posts: 104
    Already done the flying lessons!! and they weren't fun. Will try that tonight but it's all down hill so isn't much fun!
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    The key to riding through sand is to pick your line (ie don't go riding through the deepest bit... :? ) and just to keep spinning - when you're legs slow down your likely to wobble and grind to a halt. A bit like riding through mud, if you see what I mean.

I ride in the New Forest with lots of sandy bits and I have spent many a happy evening trying to ride up it, down it, through it, and genrerally end up swearing stood up in it.... :evil:
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc
  • Dan67
    Dan67 Posts: 658
    If its a small patch of sand. Try to carry alot of speed coming to it and then shift your weight back.
    With all sand try and keep a straight aline as possible beacuse as soon as you start to turn a corner and lean your weight to the inside your screwed
  • I rode a hire bike on a sandy beach once in Lanzagrottie, if its deep sand you will just get slower and slower. Hardest thing I've ever tried peddaling through! AVOID! Makes 6 inches of snow seem like tarmac!
    *Rock Lobster Team Tig SL (22lb 14oz)
    *C. Late 1950's Fixed Gear
    *1940 Raleigh Dawn Tourist with rod brakes