Hard Tail or Full Suspension

James23
James23 Posts: 113
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi Guys

Wondering if anyone can help. Whats the different between the 2 are they used for different types of mountain biking do some prefer hard tail to suspension the cost

Cheers James

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You are best off searching through a few threads, as this has been asked dozens of times.

What is your budget? And what terrain will you be riding?
  • James23
    James23 Posts: 113
    Thanks supersonic

I am looking at http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037562/ and i ride off-road / road.

I already have a bike a Timberland given to me by a friend but the gears are playing up. Sometime when your pedaling the gears grind and 2nd gear is a bit dodgey.

So i dont know weather to bite the bullet and buy a brand new one and keep the Timberland for a spare and then my brother can come out as well or keep the Timberland.

Cheers James
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Focus is superb value - and for XC riding, woods, paths etc would, in my opinion, be ebtter than any full suss bike at this price.
  • +1 You've got to pay almost a grand to get the equiv FS version of an HT, so to start would also recommend HT.
    Newbie with a Felt Q720

A day where you don't learn something is a waste...
  • littlebear
    littlebear Posts: 92
    Call me old fashioned, you will learn more about handling and pedaling on a hard tail and save yourself a little cash. You can buy a really good HT for around £550. Then if your still set on a full sus in a year'ish, buy a frame and transfer the components over.
    The bicycle is a curious vehicle. Its passenger is its engine.