Bike Computer - What do you use?

DjSatansfury
DjSatansfury Posts: 23
edited July 2009 in MTB buying advice
Sorry if this in the wrong place.

Looking to get a cheap, bike computer. Not sure how much benefit there is between Wired and Wireless.

So whats available out there, best bang for buck? And what do you use?

(Also is there any decent ones with Temperature? As many dont seem to do it!)

Comments

• Lustral
    Lustral Posts: 29
    I use a Cateye Strada Wireless in White very small and compact. Got my LBS to fit mine when they built my bike.
    Kona Cinder Cone 2009
  • cat_with_no_tail
    cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
    I use a Cateye micro wireless, have done for ages. Cheap, reliable, light, easy to fit and has all the functions i really NEED.

Clock
    Current speed
    Odometer
    Maximum speed
    trip distance (2)
    trip time (2)
    average speed
    Pace arrows

You can pick them up for less than £30. Backlight is a bit fiddly to get to if you do a stem mount (like I did). Other than that though, can't fault it at all.

Do you really NEED a temp guage? Or is it just one more screen to cycle through and (potentially) one more thing to go wrong?

If you want something with all the gadgets, bells and whistles, the Garmin Edge range is supposed to be pretty good. there was one up for sale on the classifieds over the weekend too.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    VDO C1 on mine VDO C2 on wife's. Both wireless, bombproof and good vfm. And small too.
  • Nah i dont need one with temperature, just seemed a nice option!
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    Cateye VELO 8 - wired. cost me £14. RRP £19

Clock
    Current speed
    Pace arrows
    trip time
    trip distance
    average speed
    maximum speed
    Cal. meter
    Odometer

really easy to get it setup. personally i don't find the cable annoying.
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • Dazzza
    Dazzza Posts: 2,364
    Cateye strada.
    The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.
    Giant Anthem X
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Cateye VELO 8
    +1

Perfect in all weather conditions, rain, mud, cold -30°C, hot +40°C, and the best thing is
    that it shows the speed up to 300km/h,................................. because you never know. :D
    personally i don't find the cable annoying.
    What cable? Fitted once, never thought on it again.
  • I suppose it depends on what you're doing with the bike, for a cable to be an annoyance or not.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Cateye strada wireless here as well. Great fit and forget (until you want to know your speed or whatever). Never had any problems with it.

Garmin Edge are good if you want to spend a bit more money as well.
  • deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Ive just ordereda strada in white however was very tempted with this, looks a bargain

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/productde ... 0000000000
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • plasma_man
    plasma_man Posts: 129
    I use an Edge 205.

Mainly so I can log all my routes onto google maps with all the info (distance, speed, elevation gains, weather, everage speed, average per km etc) and also so I can upload any old routes or take some other peoples routes and try them out. I found some great routes doing that (and some real stinkers too).
    - 2013 Cube LTD, SL 29, grey / black.
  • CommandoBoy
    CommandoBoy Posts: 173
    People tend to buy our cateye ones, even though the RSP ones are better and £5 cheaper
  • montriff
    montriff Posts: 26
    Just brought a wired one from asda has all the usual stuff as well as temp,back light and calories on it for a measley £5 :D
  • montriff
    montriff Posts: 26
    just to add the functions are trip meter,max speed,average speed,timer,temperature,calories burned,fat burned,scan,freeze frame,odosave,speed comparator,speed tendency and backlight
  • cerouax
    cerouax Posts: 9
    Got mine from Aldi (or Lidl - can't remember now) for £3.80 - bought 3- at that price it's cheaper than buying batteries, and you have spare bits. Still on the first one after about 4 or 5 months - still going strong. Wireless with enough functions for the money inc temp, cal, fat burned, av sp, distance etc. The only thing that didn't work were the shitty cable ties it came with. So far has proved to be waterproof too!
  • deeptheory
    deeptheory Posts: 76
    +1 for the strada wireless.

never let me down apart from me failing to notice the low battery sign leaving me stuck on 19mph 12 miles from home.

altough i'm not fussed about the hr monitor that cateye looks a bargain from ribble cycles.
  • matt748
    matt748 Posts: 194
    Cat Eye Micro 10 here. Lots of functions. Fitting it tomorrow.

Trek Fuel EX8 '09
    My Pics
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    Can now add a Cateye Strada to the two VDOs! Got one for the road bike. Neat little thing!
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    Surf-Matt wrote:
    Can now add a Cateye Strada to the two VDOs! Got one for the road bike. Neat little thing!
    Hey, I have the same computer collection as you! Yes the Strada is neat and very easy to read. The VDO's have fantastic after sales (they gave me a free new one after old one failed after 8 years!!!).
  • DrWorm
    DrWorm Posts: 66
    I use a Cateye micro wireless same as the poster above. It's simple, small, reliable, easy to use and if you lose it, it only cost you £30. The light is naff though.
  • marcaudsley
    marcaudsley Posts: 187
    I also have a Strada wireless.
    Unfortunately i had my bike nicked 8wk ago still with the wireless sensor & mount attached.
    Contacted Cateye who put me onto UK supplier Zyro who said i could buy a 2nd bike kit
    (sensor, mount etc) for 28.99 plus postage. Good after sales eh?
    Now i'm stuck with a strada computer i cant use, Just gonna buy a Lidl / Aldi special i think
  • canada16
    canada16 Posts: 2,360
    What ever happened to the good old days were you just went out to ride?

I still do, dont care how many calories I burn or were the path takes me.

I got there I know the route as I found it, and I will go back.

Never understood the computers.

Then again I am old school, I am 32, but remember fixing the old GT when I was 12 in the shed, and hoping for the best..

Mountain biking is for the thrill and rush, and not knowing what is over the next bend, but hey thats probably just me.

JMHO
  • ads4
    ads4 Posts: 698
    Has anyone got a Knog Nerd yet?
    Adam.

Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity.

Current ride - Yeti ASR 5a X0
  • I've ended up going for a £9 RSP 20 function wired one off Ebay :D

We'll see how it goes, if its crap, might look at the VDO's
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    I also have a Strada wireless.
    Unfortunately i had my bike nicked 8wk ago still with the wireless sensor & mount attached.
    Contacted Cateye who put me onto UK supplier Zyro who said i could buy a 2nd bike kit
    (sensor, mount etc) for 28.99 plus postage. Good after sales eh?
    Now i'm stuck with a strada computer i cant use, Just gonna buy a Lidl / Aldi special i think
    I had a very bad experience with a warranty claim on a Cateye light via Zyro - to say they were utterly useless and unhelpful is putting it mildly - I have been very cautious of buying Cateye again, their lights are pretty flimsy and unreliable, the computers seem to be better, so I took the risk on the Strada, hoping never to need support (joke) from Zyro.

VDO on the other hand (as I said above) were amazing sending a new model upgrade replacement on my 8 year old computer - I do feel a lot of loyalty to companies that treat customers like this, and what a contrast to those rogues at Zyro!
  • dav1
    dav1 Posts: 1,298
    strada wireless on the MTB, so far it has taken a lot of abuse and is still flawless!

Have a cateye velo 8 wired on the commuter/roadie which is also a very capable bit of kit!
    Giant TCR advanced 2 (Summer/race)
    Merlin single malt fixie (Commuter/winter/training)
    Trek superfly 7 (Summer XC)
    Giant Yukon singlespeed conversion (winter MTB/Ice/snow)

Carrera virtuoso - RIP
  • mick_cornick
    mick_cornick Posts: 175
    Cateye Enduro 8 the only one I know that's bombproof. I tried wireless and C+ recommended/test winners but they all break so KISS is how I choose my equipment now!

KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid
  • james0889
    james0889 Posts: 15
    Cateye Enduro 8 the only one I know that's bombproof. I tried wireless and C+ recommended/test winners but they all break so KISS is how I choose my equipment now!

KISS=Keep It Simple Stupid

I wouldnt say bomb proof! Had the "heavy duty" cable on my MTB and got a large twig stuck which snapped the cable in an instant! Computer itself is pretty decent though.
  • nwmlarge
    nwmlarge Posts: 778
    canada16 wrote:
    What ever happened to the good old days were you just went out to ride?

I still do, dont care how many calories I burn or were the path takes me.

I got there I know the route as I found it, and I will go back.

Never understood the computers.

Then again I am old school, I am 32, but remember fixing the old GT when I was 12 in the shed, and hoping for the best..

Mountain biking is for the thrill and rush, and not knowing what is over the next bend, but hey thats probably just me.

JMHO

you're not alone
    the only use i could discern was that you can show off about how fast you can go down hill.
    33mph for the record when i was 16 lol
    29 now and goign too fast to look down!
  • The Spiderman
    The Spiderman Posts: 5,625
    Cateye micro is good.Find it much more intuitive to use than the Sigma unit on my road bike.
    2006 Giant XTC
    2010 Giant Defy Advanced
    2016 Boardman Pro 29er
    2016 Pinnacle Lithium 4
    2017 Canondale Supersix Evo