Cleaning a Carbon Frame?

benneally
benneally Posts: 973
edited July 2009 in MTB general
I assume cleaning is the same for a carbon bike as aluminium, as its just the surface layer of paint being cleaned at the end of the day?

And what are your guys opinions on cleaning with fairy (or washing up) liquid? Will it damage any part of the bike? Surely it will clean the rotors good as well, without destroying braking?

Thanks guys :) going for a ride now and will be cleaning it this afternoon.

Comments

• SDK2007
    SDK2007 Posts: 782
    I've been using Fairy Liquid to clean my Carbon bike for over a year and it's fine.
  • benneally
    benneally Posts: 973
    And still okay to 'polish' the frame with gt85 to stop mud sticking?
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    I use just water on mine. Not because I think Fairy Liquid or Mucoff or Fenwicks will damage it, but because water works just fine on its own. Get it damp with the hose and wipe down with an old towel.
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    i have stopped using muc off on mine as it seemed to be taking the shine off my top tube? and lets face it, if you have a lovely carbon weave showing through you want it to stay lovely! And yes i give it a little polish with said spray :)
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • i use a cheap car shampoo solution (turtle wax Big O - £4 for 5L!) to wash the bike down with, but have just given it a Full on proper clean!! including some light wetsanding to remove some of the surface blemishes and given it a good machine polish, then polished with a good safe polich, sealed and wax'd! may be a bit ott but looks Uber blingy now!!!
    (my trade is as a car cleaner of some 14 years btw! dont panic!)
    Timmo.
    After all, I am Cornish!
    http://cornwallmtb.kk5.org/
    Cotic Soul, The bike of Legends!:wink: Yes, I Am a bike tart!
    http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtop ... 1#16297481
  • stevieboy
    stevieboy Posts: 704
    Hose
    Fenwicks
    Soft Brush
    Hose
    Dry

Then every month polish the frame with zymol car polish.

I have heard though if you wash your carbon bike with bike cleaner made for proper bikes i.e alloy or steel on a thursday it will shatter. Also be careful not to leave it in the sun when over 24.7 deg C as the frame will warp.
    Scott Scale Custom
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09729.jpg

Kona Coilair 2007 Dark Peak Destroyer
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v496/ ... C09727.jpg

"BOCD - If it aint perfect it aint good enough"
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    stevieboy wrote:
    I have heard though if you wash your carbon bike with bike cleaner made for proper bikes i.e alloy or steel on a thursday it will shatter. Also be careful not to leave it in the sun when over 24.7 deg C as the frame will warp.

I heard that if you look at them funny, they shrivel and die.
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    stevieboy wrote:

I heard that too. Also if you dont hug them at least 5 times a day, their heart will simply break into pieces, and will refuse to let you ride them ever again..
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    RealMan wrote:
    stevieboy wrote:

I heard that too. Also if you dont hug them at least 5 times a day, their heart will simply break into pieces, and will refuse to let you ride them ever again..
    i heard if you dont use real monglian goat fur pillows to stand it on the rear shock will stop working?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty