Anyone doing the 3 counties this weekend?

r3 guy
r3 guy Posts: 229
I plan on doing the 120 mile route, anyone else?

Comments

• popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    hiya, was originally going to do 120 but now doing 65 as it will be 15 days to the Etape by then and coach wants me tapering.
    Looking forward to it - hope we get some more of this nice weather
  • suze
    suze Posts: 302
    Yep doing the 65 miler!

Mr Suze is commissaire-ing a road race, so might tag along with people if they don't mind :D
    �3 grand bike...30 Bob legs....Slowing with style
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Doing the 120 , bit nervous, planning on an early start .
  • LeighB
    LeighB Posts: 326
    Doing the 120 mile route for the third time. This is my favourite sportive route, the roads are very quiet and you get a good variety of terrain from the Yorkshire Dales to the scenic ride down the side of Ullswater. Don’t be nervous T.C. just take your time and enjoy the day out; all the climbs are ride-able if you have suitable gearing and reasonable fitness.
  • phippss
    phippss Posts: 96
    yes also doing the 65miler :P coming up from Derbyshire so will be setting off very early in the morn :? to get a reasonable start time
  • ru--
    ru-- Posts: 27
    I'm signed up for the 120 miler but no longer have a means of getting there on the day. If anyone is going from the Leeds/Bradford/Ilkley area a lift would be much appreciated. Let me know and I'd be eternally grateful as it looks like a gorgeous route!
  • popette
    popette Posts: 2,089
    Aw, I'm not coming. Have been under the weather all week - huge ulcer in my mouth, on antibiotics, daughter has chicken pox!

I'm going to have a few hours extra in bed and then a short steady ride closer to home.

Good luck everyone - hope it's a good day for you all :-)
  • LeighB
    Its a shame you missed a good day out, the weather was good. I managed to get round in 8 hours 15 mins, seven quicker than last year. I had hoped to get under 8 hours but I suffered a bit at the end, more training required. Get well son and good luck for the Etape.
  • T.C.
    T.C. Posts: 495
    Just arrived home, very, very hard day, 10 hours 14 mins total time, the descent to nateby and the kirkstone were awesome , i somehow went the wrong way after soulby ? ? total miles was 128 , i'm chuffed i finished it ,
  • McBain_v1
    McBain_v1 Posts: 5,237
    I had signed up to do this but had to take Mrs McBain down to Wembley Stadium to see "Take That" (apparently they are a pop group or something?) so had to miss it. Still, got to ride around on the Underground with mini-McBain who loved it :!: :D Next up is the St Rocco's Cheshire Plains and Peaks which looks like it could (weather permitting) be a testing day out, particularly as I am woefully under prepared in terms of miles ridden :cry:

How does everyone manage to strike a balance between family and cycling? Mrs McBain doesn't ride and so sees my "obsession" (her word not mine) as something to be throttled and curtailed at all opportunities :cry:

What do I ride? Now that's an Enigma!
  • LeighB
    Its difficult to strike a balance between your training requirements and your family life. At he weekend I get up early whilst the others are having a lie in (youngest now nine so happy to do his own thing for a couple of hours) and do longer rides; I try to get back before lunch then we all go out for the afternoon. In the week I ride my bike to work every day (only a couple of miles) but two or three days a week I take my kit in and do a longer ride home. The mid week rides home are normally about an hour or so of hilly roads ridden at a hard pace. A few days a week and if the weather is bad I do a bit of running; people say this is no benefit to cycling but I find it helps breathing on hills. Before an event I ramp things up a bit but I am careful to explain to everyone what is going on and up to now they have all been quite understanding; or maybe they are glad to see the back of me!