Giant MPH Hydraulic Discs

jmj
jmj Posts: 100
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Chaps,

I have a set of Giant own brand MPH 3 brakes on my old Trance which is now used very rarely. (it's at my g/f's place, 350 mile away). The brakes have been flawless in the past until I got on the bike this weekend. Both front and rear seem to have tightened up to the point where the pad is touching the disc. The adjusters are wound right out, so there's no adjustment left to slacken them off. Leavers were almost solid.
Leaving the bike in the sun for 5 mins meant that the rear was locked on fairly tight and the bike was unridable.

Brakes haven't been touched since new (2006)

I'm assuming the fluid is contaminated and needs a change (dot 4 fluid shouldn't be effected by moderate temp changes right?) Possibly the system has been absorbing water over the years?

Anyone had similar issues? I've found the bleeding instructions on the web so will have a go when I've got time.

Cheers

J
Commencal Meta 55 Team custom build
Giant Trance 06

Comments

• tmg
    tmg Posts: 651
    Sounds like they need bleeding, if you do that and still same then would look at calipers to see if there is something wrong with the pistons not wanting to go back properley
  • Paulkingk
    Paulkingk Posts: 689
    i had a similar prob with juicy carbos they seemed to tighten right up when they were in the sun a bleed sorted mine
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    The Giant is a closed system - the juicys being open should self adjust really.

All fluid expands in heat, but I am suprised the sun could warm it enough!

Anyhow, sounds like a bleed is needed anyway after that length of time.
  • CustomReign
    CustomReign Posts: 185
    I've had this issue on two sets of my MPH units. Usually happens on hot days where the fluid has expanded. I got an allen key on the job and opened the lever screw just enough to let a drop or two out. Job done.