Fork Up-grade

mtb_novice
mtb_novice Posts: 24
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Hi Everyone,

Just starting out in the MTB world and would welcolme some help?

I own a Giant Boulder Disc and am looking at changing the forks? I want to spend around £200-£250, what are the best forks to buy?

I ride about 4 hours once a week, through forests and single tracks.

Thanks everyone in advance.
If you see it, ride it, if you don't, you have already fallen off!

Marin Bobcat '10
Marzocchi Bomber Forks

Comments

• papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    what forks do you have at present.

for the price range look on merlin for some tora\recons or have a look at crcs fork sale
  • mtb_novice
    I currently have the forks that came with the bike, I beleive they are 'Suntour XCT 75mm travel'

Marin Bobcat '10
    Marzocchi Bomber Forks
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    don't know much about you're frame, but i'm presuming the 100mm should be okay, someone like supersonic might be abole to help on that from.

but merling are doing recon sls for under 200 quid at the mo
  • xtreem
    xtreem Posts: 2,965
    Rockshox Reba SL - 2009 for £250 at Merlin, and that's the best you can get.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/marzocchi ... -2009.html
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Or if you don't leave the ground much you might be able to find some '09 sids, seriously light and really well controlled.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Xtreem wrote:
    Rockshox Reba SL - 2009 for £250 at Merlin, and that's the best you can get.
    http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/marzocchi ... -2009.html
    wow! rebas for 250! wow!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    100mm will be fine, but this is asome upgrade - more than the bike cost! Is it a one off? If I had 250 quid I would probably split it between some parts.
  • mtb_novice
    100mm will be fine, but this is asome upgrade - more than the bike cost! Is it a one off? If I had 250 quid I would probably split it between some parts.

Thanks everyone for youre help.

supersonic, what parts would you recommend me buying?

Thanks again.

Marin Bobcat '10
    Marzocchi Bomber Forks
  • supersonic
    If you must burn 250, new wheels and forks.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    supersonic wrote:
    If you must burn 250, new wheels and forks.
    +1, then in the future go for brakes and gears(only when the gears were out mind you)
    finishing kit is the last thing to change, unless it really doesnt suit you(this does not aply to pedals, as on budget bike the pedals are usualy trash and need replacing if you eant any grip and control!)
    I like bikes and stuff
  • mtb_novice
    Thanks for the advice, I think the best thing to do is wait, then replace parts when they wear out, then I can save for good up-grades or look to buy another bike.

Just a quick one, some people say that the Giant Boulder Disc is a good bike, others say it isn't so good? What do you guy's think? Bearing in mind it is my first hard-tail mountain bike?

Cheers

Marin Bobcat '10
    Marzocchi Bomber Forks
  • supersonic
    For the money, is good.
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    its goodish but a set of rebas would be over kill on a bike that. get a set of toras and use the rest to upgrade the rest of your bike i.e drivetrain, wheels or brakes
  • GHill
    GHill Posts: 2,402
    I had a Boulder as a commute (until it was stolen) and I thought it was excellent for the money.

Have to agree with the others though, £250 forks would be overkill. Personally I would only change parts that wear out and steadily save towards a new bike as your skills and interest progress - the bike companies can put a bike together for less money than you can :wink: