Dunwich Dynamo

Comments

• Feltup
    Feltup Posts: 1,340
    The mortality rate on this thread is frightening. Well done Porgy on standing your ground and not wimping out like some people on here mentioning no names at all but hope the physio gives you the all clear.

_Brun_ run for life!
    Short hairy legged roadie FCN 4 or 5 in my baggies.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Specialized Singlecross - 2008
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
    Peugeot Tourmalet - 1983 - taken more hits than Mohammed Ali
  • Feltup
    prawny wrote:
    Gad zukes I was going to do it too but I rode my road bike in the rain on monday and didn't wipe it down and lube it afterwards, no all I have is a pile of orange dust in my garage :roll:

That is no excuse! A fella last year had his bike nicked the morning of the ride and borrowed one especially.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Rich158 Posts: 2,348
    I'm tempted to do it whatever, I'm sure all the legs need is a gentle spin up to the Suffolk coast :lol::lol::lol:

Unfortunately the fact that I've been unable to feel my right glut since the weekend tells me that might not be the case :cry::cry:
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • prawny
    prawny Posts: 5,439
    That is top commitment! I was only joking anyway, I have a whole long list of reasons why I can't do it, including living in cannock and my wife :?
    Saracen Tenet 3 - 2015 - Dead - Replaced with a Hack Frame
    Voodoo Bizango - 2014 - Dead - Hit by a car
    Vitus Sentier VRS - 2017
  • Feltup
    You tease!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Porgy
    Porgy Posts: 4,525
    Had a bit of a twinge in my back yesterday :?
  • Feltup
    NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

I am going to be burnt at the stake or drowned in the ducking pool if this carries on.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • rupertm1
    rupertm1 Posts: 14
    Can't make it this year... the moon and bats where great last year!

Trains back from Darsham are one option (about five miles back in land from Dunwich follow the route back as it is the second to last village before Dunwich) direct to London.

There's one at 8.45am so enough time for a swim and a large breakfast!

Worth booking a place for your bike with National Express Rail as the one I was on last year was a bit of a bike park.

http://www.nationalexpress.com/trainslanding.aspx
  • Porgy
    Porgy wrote:
    Had a bit of a twinge in my back yesterday :?

But I think I'll be OK :D
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    good luck for tomorrow if anyone's left
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    I'll be going and probably cycling back to London as well unless anything goes badly wrong (like the weather).

a serious case of small cogs
  • Rich158
    toontra wrote:
    I'll be going and probably cycling back to London as well unless anything goes badly wrong (like the weather).

Ssssshhhhhhhhhh, don't let feltup know or he'll put a curse on you
    pain is temporary, the glory of beating your mates to the top of the hill lasts forever.....................

Revised FCN - 2
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    Rolling down to the beach at 04:30 with barely anyone else there and waiting for the sun come up was awesome. Great ride.

Need a beer, shower and sleep. In that order.
  • _Brun_
    CIMG1283sm.jpg
  • Cafewanda
    Cafewanda Posts: 2,788
    Wow! That kind of pic I tend to get when in Jamaica :sigh:
  • Rich158
    I'm sooooooo jealous

I guess you guys had a good ride then :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • coshgirl66
    coshgirl66 Posts: 45
    Just back from doing the Dynamo with three mates. Took us 11 hours but we had loads of breaks and still had legs for the hills towards the end. Unfortunately my bike gave up the ghost cycling to Darsham so it's now residing with a friend in Suffolk. Fab stuff!
  • _Brun_
    Bit of a weird ride for meself. Had been at London Fields with a big bunch of people from FGSS but lost them all almost immediately after leaving cos of traffic and the like. Kicked on cos I reckoned that at least some people were ahead of me, but found no one until one fella I recognised passed us looking like he meant business. Caught up, introduced meself and the two of us put in a decent stint to within ten miles of the half way stop, until I suddenly realised he'd dropped off when there were no more lights behind me.

Took a thirty minute pitstop for soup and caffeine, then headed off again, which was hard going mentally because there was hardly anyone else on the road. Soon started chatting to a couple of blokes who were doing a similar sort of pace, and the three of us rode all the way to Dunwich. Amazingly we weren't passed by a single other rider the whole of the second half. Think that might partly have been down to having the 2007 route on the Garmin, which makes a massive difference when it comes to knowing where you're going (or more importantly, knowing straight away when you go wrong).

It was practically daylight for the last ten miles, but great knowing that we'd easily make it there before sunrise. Setting off in a big group I had expectations of it being leisurely paced, but was pretty happy to have been left to my own devices. Heard estimates of up to 1,000 people having started, so the only way to avoid massive queues for food etc was to make sure you were there before the masses. Probably only about 20 or so others knocking around the cafe/beach when we arrived.

6:56 for the 113 mile route. 130 for the day, which is a PB.

Brilliant night out :)
  • Feltup
    So some of you avoided the curse I see. Well I am glad my powers are not total yet or it would take all the fun out of it :wink:

Well done to all of you who made it especially the folks on the Penny Farthing. Yes you did read that correctly a Penny Farthing! How the hell they got up and down those hills I don't know.

I had a chat with Barry Mason who organises it with Southwark Cyclists and he said they sold 900+ route maps so a 1000+ riders seems on the money. He did a great job once again and was only a little let down by the removals truck people under estimating the space needed which involved getting another truck and repacking the largest truck. In the end we got back with a couple of hours of delay. So hats off to Barry for realising the problem early and getting it sorted, the helpers at the mid stop etc also did a fantastic job again considering how large the event got this year i.e. double last year!

It was a mixed ride for me as our group splintered a bit so wasn't as social as last year. I ended up spending nearly 3 hours at the mid stop waiting for people and then spending time with them to be social so it was almost a two stage ride for me! We set off about 9pm and I got to the beach at 6am with one friend who towed me the on the second leg. The others arrived at 8am soaked to the skin from the big shower that rolled through.

I have learnt that staying out drinking heavily until 3am the night before is not good preparation for an overnight long ride especially when you are a lightweight drinker as it is!!!

Stats wise I was on my singlecross riding fixed GI71 and had a ride time of about 6hrs45. Not really sure of exact figures as I don't have a computer on the fixed because riding fixed is all about feel not figures!

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Rich158
    Sounds like a couple of good rides guys, I can't wait for next year. I'll join you in the fixed feltup, after all it is in the spirit of the thing :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Revised FCN - 2
  • lost_in_thought
    lost_in_thought Posts: 10,563
    Chapeaux!

I'm rather jealous.

Did you get rained on? I only ask because it seemed to have rained in Essex when I got up on Sunday morning...
  • Feltup
    There were a few spots around 5.30 am for us but my mates who were behind us had two hours of rain. In Dunwich it rained from 6.30 to 9.00 ish and then gradually cleared to a glorious day.

How was the family get together? Sorry we missed dinner, hope you Mum didn't mind but we wanted to get some miles under our belts :wink:

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • aztecboy
    aztecboy Posts: 384
    My first DD and quite a challenge. I thought it would be a very much more leisurely affair but there were plenty on the road evidently in a race, some not exhibiting much cycling etiquette !

We kept a steady pace throughout and our first stop was at the food break 60 miles in. Even then I was shocked by how many were in front of us (the queue was inside when we arrived). I was even more shocked by how many turned up in the 30 minutes while we were there, the queue for food went all the way out through the car park and into the road!

When arrived at Dunwich bang on 0600h, the queue for the cafe was just outside the door. 30 minutes later and it was around the car park.

My enduring memories will be:
    - The many pretty fixies at London Fields
    - My wonderful Garmin 705 contained the gpx of the 2008 route
    - The jungle that is Epping - one inhabitant at a pub with his mates had his trousers down and was flashing his minuscule equipment to all cyclists as they rode past
    - Watching a bunch of fly boys go ENTIRELY the wrong way at a junction. They turned up at the feed stop 20 minutes after us
    - The sunrise
    - The look of sheer delight on the participant's faces as they arrived in Dunwich (followed by a look of abject horror when they espied the queue for the cafe!)

Great fun!
    aztecboy
  • Feltup
    Rich158 wrote:
    Sounds like a couple of good rides guys, I can't wait for next year. I'll join you in the fixed feltup, after all it is in the spirit of the thing :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Yeah it was certainly a different experience than riding it on the roadie. Following my mate down one of the long hills and his legs were spinning at ludicrous speed and he has fractionally heavier gearing than me. It is one of the few times I wished a downhill was over!! No one came past us on that descent but I think that was because they all thought we were going to explode and create mayhem.

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • steve-m
    steve-m Posts: 106
    Also had a great time. We left an hour later than last year at about 9pm because we thought we''d wait for the queue to die down for the tickets. That and the numbers of riders meant it was a different experience to last year. Was much better prepared this year as last year my tank was empty 20 miles before the feed stop, this year prepared better - being a good boy the night before too.

Read Barry's summary here
    Fixed, commute: Langster 08, FCN6
    Road : Aravis (byercycles) Shimano 105 triple
    Hybrid: Trek 7.2 FX, unused / unloved
  • Feltup
    aztecboy wrote:
    My first DD and quite a challenge. I thought it would be a very much more leisurely affair but there were plenty on the road evidently in a race, some not exhibiting much cycling etiquette !

There were some very rapid lads and lasses. There were also some people who were a complete liability. I saw a few without lights fss! One bloke on the way out of London decided he wasn't going to wait and just plod along with the masses so tried to undertake behind a barrier only to realise there wasn't a big enough gap the other end to simply carry on. What he then did could have ended very badly if my mates hadn't had their whits about them because he found a little gap and swung out into the main road with out looking; nice one moron. Another prime Darwin Candidate jumped the lights at the North Circular roundabout, how he didn't get collected by the mass of cars I don't know.

p.s. Barry Mason what a top bloke, very nice to talk to and so enthusiastic but not Essex proof. (Essex is exactly as you imagine from the stereotypes)

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • Porgy
    I just got back to London. I completed my 5th DD last week - if I hadn't gone on some ridiculous 15 mile detour following a German with SatNav who though he knew where he was going, I'd have finshed about 8am. Not bad for me - I finished 6 am three years ago - but I'm in my 40s now :( .

I have spent the last week cycling (and walking) in Suffolk - wondering why so many people go back to London so quickly.
  • lost_in_thought
    Feltup wrote:
    aztecboy wrote:

There were some very rapid lads and lasses. There were also some people who were a complete liability. I saw a few without lights fss! One bloke on the way out of London decided he wasn't going to wait and just plod along with the masses so tried to undertake behind a barrier only to realise there wasn't a big enough gap the other end to simply carry on. What he then did could have ended very badly if my mates hadn't had their whits about them because he found a little gap and swung out into the main road with out looking; nice one moron. Another prime Darwin Candidate jumped the lights at the North Circular roundabout, how he didn't get collected by the mass of cars I don't know.

p.s. Barry Mason what a top bloke, very nice to talk to and so enthusiastic but not Essex proof. (Essex is exactly as you imagine from the stereotypes)

That is true. Sometimes stereotypes exist for a reason... :lol:
  • Feltup
    Feltup wrote:
    aztecboy wrote:

Some very special sights that is for sure! So when are you going permatan?

Felt F55 - 2007
    Marin Rift Zone - 1998
  • lost_in_thought
    edited July 2009
    Feltup wrote:

Some very special sights that is for sure! So when are you going permatan?

Going? That should be past tense... I'm like David Dickinson.