Good ride / bad ride - think I have sussed it....

bristolpete
bristolpete Posts: 2,255
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Funny thing, but I ride a few times a week. Sometimes, I fly, sometimes I dont. But, this weekend the penny dropped after having a slow first hour on the trail, the second one came to life.

If I take the bike on or in the car then I dont ride as well. If I stay local and ride to the trail, then I storm it. Naturally, I have come to realise that a big warm up helps. Paradoxicallly, Bristols permier trails are at the top of some very steep hills so you do get a series warm up, but finally, I think I have worked out why I can be so bloomin' crap sometimes.

Should have been an astronaut with a brain as fast as that LOL.

So, is the an answer to warming up when going further afield or just live with it ?

Pete.

Comments

• Andy
    Andy Posts: 8,207
    Just stretch and have a ride round the car park before you start.
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Naturally, I have come to realise that a big warm up helps.
    6-7 miles in my case. If I ride anything slightly technical or strenuous during this time it will end in disaster =]
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I ride from my house to the malverns which is around 5 miles. All narrow lanes and then up on to the hills themselves with a half mile hard climb. Then im ready.

But after work I generally put the bike in the boot and head up to the hills that way.
  • Daz555
    Daz555 Posts: 3,976
    Paradoxicallly, Bristols permier trails are at the top of some very steep hills so you do get a series warm up.
    The 'warm up' heading up to Ashton Court can be hard. I live so close to Ashton Court that I have barely turned a pedal when I'm faced with the climb all the way from the Art College to the golf course.

Gets a good sweat on and removes the left over ale from my system at least!
    You only need two tools: WD40 and Duck Tape.
    If it doesn't move and should, use the WD40.
    If it shouldn't move and does, use the tape.
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Funny thing, but I ride a few times a week. Sometimes, I fly, sometimes I dont. But, this weekend the penny dropped after having a slow first hour on the trail, the second one came to life.

If I take the bike on or in the car then I dont ride as well. If I stay local and ride to the trail, then I storm it. Naturally, I have come to realise that a big warm up helps. Paradoxicallly, Bristols permier trails are at the top of some very steep hills so you do get a series warm up, but finally, I think I have worked out why I can be so bloomin' crap sometimes.

Should have been an astronaut with a brain as fast as that LOL.

So, is the an answer to warming up when going further afield or just live with it ?

Pete.

Pete, exactly the same here fella. I live about 9 miles from the Peak District (lucky blighter eh!) and tackling the ascents wtihout a decent warm up just results in lung red line immediately.

I find 'spinning' the 9 miles on the way there in an easy gear, slowly building up is the key. That, or move to a house on the top of the Peak :lol:
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    Daz555 wrote:
    Paradoxicallly, Bristols permier trails are at the top of some very steep hills so you do get a series warm up.
    The 'warm up' heading up to Ashton Court can be hard. I live so close to Ashton Court that I have barely turned a pedal when I'm faced with the climb all the way from the Art College to the golf course.

think i'd die if i had to appraoh AC fromn the bottom..much prefer a nice tootle over the bridge
  • mingmong
    mingmong Posts: 542
    Pete,

I've become a little interested in photography. I've a little 5meg camera that I take on the trails to catch the morning vistas.

Do you take the camera? If you do, what do you take bearing in mind the weight / price of falling off?!

Phil
  • bristolpete
    MingMong wrote:
    Pete,

I've become a little interested in photography. I've a little 5meg camera that I take on the trails to catch the morning vistas.

Do you take the camera? If you do, what do you take bearing in mind the weight / price of falling off?!

Phil

I was carrying my Canon 5D2 + lens and flash in the camelback but decided not to after going ass over tit at Cwmcarn. So, at the moment, nothing, but a fancy a Canon Sx200 or a Panasonic TZ7 for the bag.
  • bristolpete
    papasmurf. wrote:
    Daz555 wrote:

think i'd die if i had to appraoh AC fromn the bottom..much prefer a nice tootle over the bridge

Yep, it is one pain to get to from both the South side and the Park St side, but a good warm up never the less.