Riding on sand

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited June 2009 in MTB general
Is it possible?

We have mtb hybrids with semi-slick tyres (1.95" Kenda Breaker), not had problems with anything else, but the sand we made the mistake of riding across today (Chobham Common) was unrideable. The wheel was sliding out from underneath me when going down hill (even at very low speeds) and uphill there was so little traction as to make it impossible to get up.

Is it crap bike/tyres/riders or should we just take to on-road route around that bit next time?

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on how compact the sand is - I have had some good falls on MTBs when the front wheel slides away!
  • grantway
    grantway Posts: 1,430
    Make sure you lower the Tyre pressure
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    Mud tyres are good in sand providing it's not too deep.
  • thelawnet
    thelawnet Posts: 719
    It was pretty deep TBH. Had some other slightly sandy bits en route where loss of grip was noticeable but not terminal, but this was a couple of inches.
  • bomberesque
    bomberesque Posts: 1,701
    best thing to do about soft sand IMO is swear at it loudly and avoid it next time
    Everything in moderation ... except beer
    Beer in moderation ... is a waste of beer

If riding an XC race bike is like touching the trail,
    then riding a rigid singlespeed is like licking it
    ... or being punched by it, depending on the day
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    thelawnet wrote:
    Is it possible?

We have mtb hybrids with semi-slick tyres (1.95" Kenda Breaker), not had problems with anything else, but the sand we made the mistake of riding across today (Chobham Common) was unrideable. The wheel was sliding out from underneath me when going down hill (even at very low speeds) and uphill there was so little traction as to make it impossible to get up.

Is it crap bike/tyres/riders or should we just take to on-road route around that bit next time?

Unless you've got money to burn then its probably best to avoid the sand completely as it really messes up your drive train.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    sometimes i take an old bike down to the beach to practice drifting, tis fun!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • M1llh0use
    M1llh0use Posts: 863
    personally found sand quite fun*

* working on the assumption that the bike you're riding is a singlespeed with massive baloon tyres running about 15psi.....
    {insert smartarse comment here}
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    One Word... Pugsley!

The Surly Pugsley was made for sand and snow, just wish could afford one as I am a huge fan of the beefy tires.

Heres a linky
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Depends how far you need to go across it? Generally small patches of deep sand you can float the front across and the rear will make it with plenty of momentum. If you keep the fornt loaded it'll dig in and you'll stop.
  • fourcrossjohn
    fourcrossjohn Posts: 2,500
    that wud be a killer on th uphill

going down the road you would need to make your own motor noises :lol:

vrooooooom or chug chug chug chug
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I did a 5 foot drop to a sandbank once, and landed on my rear wheel al trialsy like, which is rare :oops:
    Unfortunately, once my back tyre hit the ground, my bike continued to descend, and I thought I'd just bent my rear wheel completely in two.
    I panicked for a bit, before realising it was all grass covered sand, and that my bike had just sund up to it's bottom bracket, the rear wheel was completely buried, front half of bike sticking out like a groundhog!
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Any bigger tyres will help, I use 2.35 kendas a lot of the time and they float OK even on soft sand, though it's still very easy to slide out unexpectedly as the sand shifts under your wheels, it's a bit like riding on ball bearings. Good fun though.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • RealMan
    RealMan Posts: 2,166
    Most tyres will cope with sand fine. Just spin a low gear, stay seated.

I dont think you need wider tyres, I ride with a few cyclocrossers now and then, and they can deal with sand fine.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    depends what kind of sand, if it's hardpacked moist sand, or totally dry fluffy stuff.
    The fluffy stuff is unrideable.