Upgrade or replace the AT10

synthasandwich
synthasandwich Posts: 38
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hi All,

Firstly, thanks for reading- genuinly need some advice and I couldn't find it in the search options.

I am new to mountian biking and have been riding an entry level Raleigh AT10 for about 6 months. I really enjoy this new hobby but am unsure whether to upgrade the parts or to just get a new bike- either way, I can only ever see my budget being £350 max.....

Problems with the current AT10 are the front suspension doesn't take much hammer, gears could be better...... overall the bike seems quite heavy too so was gradually going to replace with lighter parts.

Any advice? I generally ride off road on hardcore trails with occasional lump obstacle that has been giving my current suspension grief.

Cheers

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Hi and Welcome :D

Personally, I would save up the pennies and buy a new bike.

Ride the Raleigh until it dies, then spend ur cash on a new, lighter bike.

Some of the Carreras and GTs at Halfords are good bikes, and often have offers on them.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • Hi Si78,

cheers for the warm welcome and speedy response...

I had the gut feeling I should save for my next bike, my main fear was that the frame itself as well as everything else around it weighed a ton but it's been good to sample Mountain bike riding.

Suprised that Halfords are cropping up quite a lot in this forum, a lot of their lines for cars are a rip off but will definitely have a look at the bikes suggested and compare with reviews.

Anyone want to suggest/ guess a rough weight for a good £300 mountain bike for comparison.

Thanks again everyone,

Mark .
  • Flenser
    Flenser Posts: 372
    The Commencal Normal Disc is currently on sale at Merlin Cycles, £500 reduced to £350.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mo ... -2009.html

Better to buy an expensive bike for £350 than one that is £350 to start with, to my mind at least... :D
    Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
    Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)
  • Si78
    Flenser wrote:
    The Commencal Normal Disc is currently on sale at Merlin Cycles, £500 reduced to £350.

http://www.merlincycles.co.uk/custom-mo ... -2009.html

Better to buy an expensive bike for £350 than one that is £350 to start with, to my mind at least... :D

yeah that Commencal looks really good for the price Flenser.

Obviously it depends on when you are planning to buy a new bike synthasandwich, as different deals and offers pop up all the time.

Keep an eye on this forum, and keep checking out sites like merlin, evans etc for deals and offers.
  • Si78
    Hi Si78, Suprised that Halfords are cropping up quite a lot in this forum, a lot of their lines for cars are a rip off but will definitely have a look at the bikes suggested and compare with reviews.

Probably going to open a can of worms now, but Halfords are ok lol.

Depends on which branch you go to, and who you speak to etc.

The Carrera bikes are pretty good, the Vulcans look pretty good for lower priced bikes, and the higher priced Fury is very highly rated.

Also, Halfords is the only place to buy the Boardman bikes from.

Always good to go to Halfords and have a look around, compare and sit on the bikes, even if you dont intend to buy one from there.

They often have deals on Carreras and GTs too. 20% off on certain weekends.
  • Hi,

Thank you all for your responses- it is a huge relief as I began to think that I would never be able to afford a half descent bike judging from a lot of the reviews ( and price tags ) I had read. I think it will be at least Christmas before I can muster the cash but will definitely seek the advice from this forum- your help is appreciated and looks like I know the way to go now.

Sorry to slander Halfords, I will definitely give them a chance especially as they have come recommended throughout this site- I just never gave them a second thought and guess I prejudged them on another aspect of their business.

Cheers again- this site is just the tonic, brill !

Mark.
  • Si78
    Sorry to slander Halfords, I will definitely give them a chance especially as they have come recommended throughout this site- I just never gave them a second thought and guess I prejudged them

Halfords can be cack tho lol