Focus Black Forest 2009

dancook
dancook Posts: 279
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi,

I've decided against buying a road bike, and instead I'm interested in buying a MTB. To which I've been advised by a friend to fit semi-slicks for my commute.

I've just been looking online and found this

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037562/

Focus Black Forest 2009, looks appeal to me foremost, and this is a pretty nice looking bike and the reviews seem to favour it well.

Does anyone here have an opinion on this bike?

I'm 5ft 11 with a 32/34 leg which suggests I should get a Large frame. I know it's always suggested to try before you buy, but I don't think you can with this bike as I've read it's Wiggles only.

Any thoughts?

Thanks, Dan

ps. just noticed they do an expert too.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Focus ... 360037560/

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    The Focus bikes have had some good recommendations on this forum.

Is always best to try a bike out first before you buy tho.

As for frame size, they differ between manufacturers.

For example, I'm 6'1", with 33" leg and I ride an 18" (medium) Boardman. The large didn't leave me with enough of a gap between my bollox and the top tube (meant to be able to get a fist in the gap).

In my case, the only real difference between the medium and the large was that the top tube was 5cm higher on the large. The other measurements had miniscule differences.

Are you restricted where you buy from? Might be an Idea to get down to some bike shops (and Halfords!) to sit on some bikes and try them out for size.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • GSDog
    GSDog Posts: 129
    I do have an opinion but it's biased as I own one. :)

I've been raving on about this bike quite a lot on here so you probably know my opinion; it's an awesome bike!
    Since I bought mine though the price of the Expert has been reduced quite a bit and at £734 it is incredible value for money. The expert has an upgraded crank, derailleurs and better brakes but I have no idea what those Manitou R7 Super forks are like so you might want to check those out and read reviews, etc.

Don't forget Wiggle have a 7 day test ride where you can send the bike back if it doesn't fit, etc.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/h/option/testride
    I know a few people on here who've used it and Wiggle seem to be very efficient at swapping/refunding if needed.

I think the large frame will be right for you. I am 6' 1" with a 33/34" inseam and the large frame is perfect fit for me.
  • dancook
    Thanks both,

I did go into Halfords, but I tried out a road bike as that was my interest at the time, it seemed a medium ~20inch frame was most suitable.

Will it differ from Road to MTB?
  • thebluefox
    thebluefox Posts: 200
    Interesting, I've settled on one of these, I think, after looking at some different GT's and Boardmans, the spec on the Black Forest looks mint! And for another £25, the expert is insanely tempting!
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    anyone know how the new manitos are holding up now they've been in th ereal world a bit, thats the only thing that would put me off the expert.
  • thebluefox
    thebluefox Posts: 200
    I've heard they're meant to be alright actually, I'd prefer the Fox fork from the Standard though.
  • papasmurf.
    papasmurf. Posts: 2,382
    yeah lot of talk when they first came out, but its been quite since, so makes you wonder about long term
  • misterdun
    misterdun Posts: 91
    I have the same measurements as you Dan and have the large frame, it's perfect size for me!! I was interested in a comment on another thread about the forks being the only high spec item on the bike and the rest being low spec but looking at the RH Comp the specs are pretty similar, admittedly maybe they would be low spec for a £1000 bike but I wonder whether anyone has or will pay more than £711 for the black forest?
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    I ordered one but it wasn't the bike for me it is a very good bike for the money, order one and use the 7 day trial, i had no trouble in sending it back, that experience and also buying a few other things has probably put wiggle to the top of my list for buying things.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)
  • dancook
    What didn't you like about it?
  • dancook
    Oh, my company is looking into purchasing it on my behalf and claiming back the VAT, so I will pay 15% less than the purchase price. So that's another £100 off or so.
  • alfablue
    alfablue Posts: 8,497
    dancook wrote:
    Oh, my company is looking into purchasing it on my behalf and claiming back the VAT, so I will pay 15% less than the purchase price. So that's another £100 off or so.
    Why not get them to do it on the Cycle to Work scheme? You save the VAT and income tax at whatever rate you pay - could save up to 50% of the purchase price.
  • dancook
    Admin tell me there's too much paperwork, other people in the company have tried them on that too.

This is their compromise, so I'll take what I can.
  • LAW4778
    LAW4778 Posts: 232
    dancook wrote:
    What didn't you like about it?

Just didn't fit right and i had tried the rockhopper before and felt that it fit me better, thats why everyone should try before they buy, in all i tried 5 bikes and the rockhopper was one of them.
    Trek Fuel EX 7 29er 2014
    Specialized FSR XC Pro 2010 (Gone)
    Specialized Rockhopper Expert 2009 (Gone)