Hi I'm new

nonameuser
nonameuser Posts: 55
edited July 2009 in Road beginners
Hi all

I'm new to this road bike stuff and have just bought myself a 2009 Trek 1.2 Double. I know its entry level but I feel it will suit me just fine to start with.

My old bike is a Muddy Fox Monarch Sport MTB which I have had for just over 10 years now and has never missed a beat and is suprisingly light for what it is. I have been using road tyres on it for a few years now but feel I needed to go the full road bike route.

I thought I got a pretty good deal from my LBS. I got the bike for £522, Shimano shoes for £60 (I already have a set of new SPD pedals and cleats) and a Strada Wireless computer for £40. Not massive savings but its the fact that I get the first service free and also spend an hour with them on a turbo trainer getting the bike all set up and fitted for me.

I am booked in for 4pm on Tuesday and am really looking forward to and also the first 10miles back home on it.

Cheers

David

Comments

• zedders
    zedders Posts: 509
    Welcome.
    IMO I think you did the right thing in starting with an entry level bike. Give it 6 or 12 months and if you find the 'road thing' is for you, you'll know what your looking for should you upgrade etc.
    "I spend my petrol money on Bikes, Beer, Pizza, and Donuts "

http://www.flickr.com/photos/38256268@N04/3517156549/
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    You may also want to invest in a pair of shorts, if you haven't already done so. 8)
    Cycling weakly
  • pianoman
    pianoman Posts: 706
    You may also want to invest in a pair of shorts, if you haven't already done so.

+1 for that, the person who joined us yesterday for their first clubrun looked out of place to say the least with baggies on.

Good choice for a first bike - happy riding :D
  • nonameuser
    I picked it up today and spend an hour getting the bike set up correctly for me by the LBS who may I add were extremely helpful. I rode the 10.5miles home and we such a pleasure even in the mad heat wave we are having at the moment.

On the open straights I was cruising at approx 20-21mph but still a bit nervous around city cycling on a roadie.

Also this is my first bike with SPD pedals and wil take some getting used to but did'nt fall off :) Yes I do have shorts already (In reply to skyd0g)

Looking forward to going to work on Thursday (40 mile round trip) I did this once on my MTB and will be interesting to see if the route feels much different.
  • Mothyman
    Mothyman Posts: 655
    enjoy matey
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    A good poichase and good to see someone posting about buying at a good LBS, worth it's weight in gold!

I think you will find 40 miles on a road bike a rather different experience to your MTB!

Have fun!
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Excellent choice of bike and retailer I think. Come on, don't be shy, name the LBS.
  • Surf-Matt
    Surf-Matt Posts: 5,952
    I also got a blinding deal on my Allez, Strada and SPDs from my LBS. Use them a lot for MTB stuff and have now bought 3 bikes from them. Clive Mitchell in Truro, Cornwall.
  • nonameuser
    LBS - Trisports in Letchworth, Herts