Magura blood?

rbrstr
rbrstr Posts: 64
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
I need some "Magura suspension blood type 1" to refill my forks
Am i correct in believing this is mineral oil? and can i use brake mineral oil? or does it have to be suspension mineral oil?

proper magura blood seems as hard to get hold of as rocking horse s##t!

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Any fork hydraulic fluid without seal swellers will do ie from a motorbike shop.
  • rbrstr
    supersonic wrote:
    Any fork hydraulic fluid without seal swellers will do ie from a motorbike shop.

Ok,thanks. what weight of motorcycle fork oil is comparable to magura blood?
  • supersonic
    Ah, good point. Does it not say on the fluid?

This is bloody magura being ar$es and wanting people just to use their products. It's the same with the brake fluid.
  • rbrstr
    supersonic wrote:
    Ah, good point. Does it not say on the fluid?

This is bloody magura being ar$es and wanting people just to use their products. It's the same with the brake fluid.

yep,thats what i figured with the dumb arse name! It only says "suspension blood type 1"
  • supersonic
    Take it to a motorbike shop - they can compare with a drip test.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    any KTM dealership will sell true Magura Blood. It's what's used in Hydraulic clutches on the KTM LC8 engines.

A common replacemnt for it... is BABY OIL.... Yes really.
  • supersonic
    Yep, baby oil is just mineral oil! Though with additves - I wouldn't put it ina fork lol.

Citroen hydro fluid too.
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    You can also use WD40 in place of blood, and if you're really desperate cooking oil work also
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    FSR Si wrote:
    You can also use WD40 in place of blood,

if you dont like your seals :roll:
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • FSR Si
    FSR Si Posts: 147
    nicklouse wrote:
    FSR Si wrote:
    You can also use WD40 in place of blood,

if you dont like your seals :roll:

Ive been using it for over a year now without any problems or leakages so far, On WD 40's own website it list some of its uses as......

Protects rubber gasket around the sunroof
    Spray aging rubber grommets to eliminate squeaks
    Spray on rubber intake air ducts to ease installation of fuel injected engines
    Lubricates rubber wiring grommets to ease installation into fenders/firewalls

WD40 is based on a mineral oil same as blood is.
    My Rides......91 GT Talera SingleSpeed, 97 Klein pulse race, 2010 Boardman HT Pro
  • rbrstr
    I thought i'd try one more time :Am i correct in believing this is mineral oil? and can i use brake mineral oil? or does it have to be suspension mineral oil?
  • supersonic
    Fork hydraulic oil is mineral based, but has additives to stop it foaming and work better as a damping medium.

WD40 is mainly a solvent (50%), with some lubing properties. How did you fill a fork (or brake with it?!). They can and do rot the seals in some forks, regardless of what the makers say. Not all 'rubber' is the same.
  • rbrstr
    supersonic wrote:
    Fork hydraulic oil is mineral based, but has additives to stop it foaming and work better as a damping medium.

WD40 is mainly a solvent (50%), with some lubing properties. How did you fill a fork (or brake with it?!). They can and do rot the seals in some forks, regardless of what the makers say. Not all 'rubber' is the same.

Thanks, is shimano fork oil mineral based do you know?

I appreciate people's good intentions, but i wouldnt put babyoil, cooking oil, or wd40 in a £600 set of xc forks! :)
  • supersonic
    Yes, they all are I believe.

I use Fuchs Motorbike suspension fluid, or Castrol fully synthetic. You can get much more for your buck than MTB branded stuff.
  • rbrstr
    supersonic wrote:
    Yes, they all are I believe.

I use Fuchs Motorbike suspension fluid, or Castrol fully synthetic. You can get much more for your buck than MTB branded stuff.

Thanx mate :D
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    rbrstr wrote:
    supersonic wrote:

Thanks, is shimano fork oil mineral based do you know?

I appreciate people's good intentions, but i wouldnt put babyoil, cooking oil, or wd40 in a £600 set of xc forks! :)

I'd go to a KTM dealer and buy Magura blood :)