Single ring on the front ?

weeksy59
weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
edited July 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Gents,

I'm wondering if there's any benefit from sticking a single or even dual front chainring instead of the 3 curretntly ?

I only ever use the middle ring, so there's little point having the ohters.

Would there be any gains to be made from having a single on the front instead ?

I guess one benfit is doing away with shifter and cable, also i guess you'd do away with the front Mech

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    You'll want either a mech or chainguide to stop the chain coming off.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Two rings up front is great you can get almost the same range as a standard triple with less hassle and its lighter too.

I'm running a 28/42 with an 11-32 at the rear i lose out on the two lowest gears compared to running the normal 22t up front and a tiny bit of top end speed.

I figure that if I'm using the two lowest gears which i never did i would be quicker walking
    and the tiny bit of top end well its not often you spin out in top gear off road.

you can get a better chain line so less wear, loss weight of a ring 80g ish and you open up the possibility of using a road front mech which IMHO shift superior to any MTB mech they are also lighter ( I'm using a Dura Ace 7900)

But the marking boys couldn't sell an 18 speed bike as bigger number = better and 18 speed is sh!t.
  • weeksy59
    weeksy59 Posts: 2,606
    You'll want either a mech or chainguide to stop the chain coming off.

I assumed that even if running a single ring i'd need something up the front end as a guide yeah :)
  • oddy74
    oddy74 Posts: 91
    Sorry to hijack your thread Weeksy.
    I am wanting to do the same on my new build, single up front but 9 out back.
    Will I need a chain device? If so can anyone recommend one?
    Thanks
    Oddy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes and one that fits your bike.

But i can not recommend one as the ESP is not working today.

So please provide some information about your bike and cranks etc..
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oddy74
    Oops sorry, a few more details would be useful I suppose. :oops:
    The frame is a Kinesis decade Virue/Versa and the crankset Im considering is Race Face Deus XC Single Speed X-Type Chainset.
    Thanks
    Oddy
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    ok as that frame does not have any ISCG mounts you will need to use an ISCG adaptor or a bb mount chain device.

you will just need a simple one to guide things.

but it is an odd frame to go for a single up front.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • oddy74
    Thanks Nick
    Any suggestions on which 1? I have had a look and I am still not sure which type to get :oops:
  • robbie7
    robbie7 Posts: 292
    i am going to do the same, i have been told that if you use a chainnring with unramped teeth you can get away without a chain device.
  • I'm just building up another bike to compliment my SSer.
    Single ring up front with roadie (on a Stumpjumper) close ratio 9 speed cassette and Dura Ace short cage mech.
    I have ordered a Paul Components Chain Keeper from the states
    http://www.paulcomp.com/chainkeeper.html
    ...should be here soon to complete the build. oh, and still looking for a shifter that I like.
    This is a quick mock up

Ebaystuff1418.jpg