HELP Just bought my new Planet x bike and there are problems

2»

Comments

• doyler78
    doyler78 Posts: 1,951
    rockmount wrote:
    I almost had the opposite with mine ... the original alloy post corroded in the frame, I could hardly get it out. Planet-X said I should have applied grease to the post before fitting, I don't know how that would help a slipping post, and doubt it would prevent electrolytic corrosion. IMO the best thing to do with the standard alloy post is to chuck it in the bin, and get a carbon one, unless of course you want to risk ruining your frame completely. I seem to remember Cannondale having trouble some time ago with frames splitting due to electrolytic carbon / aluminium combinations. In the aerospace industry intimate contact between any aluminium alloy, and carbon fibre is strictly prohibited.

I like that one as I had exactly the same one as my carbon seatpost seized solid in my P-X Ti frame - it took a hairdryer and an enormous amount of force from 2 of us to get it shifted. The thing is I had my bike built up by them before it was sent so they put the seatpost in in the first place so couldn't help smiling at that response you got :lol:
  • Chip \'oyler
    Chip \'oyler Posts: 2,323
    mmmm - makes me think of that old saying 'you get what you pay for'.
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • rockmount
    rockmount Posts: 761
    mmmm - makes me think of that old saying 'you get what you pay for'.
    Not strictly true, I really can't fault the Planet - X for quality, they genuinely represent great value for money. Ok the alloy seatpost is not a great idea IMO, but I would not let that put me off grabbing a fantastic bike at an unbeatable price.
    .. who said that, internet forum people ?
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Pleased to hear that you got the problem fixed.

Is there any noticeable visible difference between the two seat clamps that would explain why the original one wasn't doing its job?
  • muchalls
    muchalls Posts: 87
    Small aside for those without hairspray/ carbon grease. I sanded my slipping carbon post with 600 grade paper to remove the shine, then installed it in an alloy frame with chalk powder: sorted the slipping problem nicely (Spec. Allez/ carbon post)
  • epo-aholic
    epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
    sturmey
    The new clamp that planet x sent isn't as neat in size but the main difference is that there is a larger gap at the rear for movement (if that makes any sense?)
  • sturmey
    sturmey Posts: 964
    Thanks mate - I have sent you a PM.
    Hope you don't mind answering a couple of questions about the bike.
  • epo-aholic
    epo-aholic Posts: 1,414
    sturmey
    not a problem mate - have PM'd you back!
  • I bought the new Kaffenback 2 last week, suffering some slippage.

I have just removed the seatpost to take some caliper measurements,

The post is 27.0 not 27.2

The internal diameter of the seat tube is around 27.4/5 which I would presume is about right.

Back down to Planet X tomorrow. :|
  • mmmm - makes me think of that old saying 'you get what you pay for'.

Sorry but you're wrong - I have one of their Team Superlight frames and its brilliant - excellent build quality, geometry is spot on, stiff, light and rides lovely. And dirt cheap too. What more can you ask of a fast summer trainer bike?

I've also got a set of their 50mm carbon and 80mm carbon tubulars - both sets have performed perfectly over a number of years.

Very well recommended.
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    friend of mine bought a frame recently.... firstly they sent the wrong size frame (which I could accept as a mistake). When returning it the manner in which they dealt with them wasnt that polished.... since then a bottle cage boss has broken on the new frame and they have still to respond with a reply / resolution ....
    Ive always rated PX but id be careful buying from them in the future sadly.
  • gwillis wrote:
    friend of mine bought a frame recently.... firstly they sent the wrong size frame (which I could accept as a mistake). When returning it the manner in which they dealt with them wasnt that polished.... since then a bottle cage boss has broken on the new frame and they have still to respond with a reply / resolution ....
    Ive always rated PX but id be careful buying from them in the future sadly.

I live in Rotherham so fortunately I can drop in and kick up a stink :-D