topsey_turvey Posts: 420
edited May 2020 in MTB rides
qq
Frank Yates

Comments

• Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    Hi Topsey

We had a chinwag about this area, more specifically Warcop to the south. I would be up for it, but am cat-watching at the moment and it is too far to travel for a day trip (unless I can teach the cats how to open ring pull cans in which case I'll see you at Dufton). Some other time perhaps.

Cheers anyway and hope you have a good ride.
  • dave_hill
    dave_hill Posts: 3,877
    Unless I can teach the cats how to open ring pull cans in which case I'll see you at Dufton.

Could you not just stuff the cats silly the day before then leave them to it for 24 hours?
    Give a home to a retired Greyhound. Tia Greyhound Rescue
    Help for Heroes
    JayPic
  • No problems Tank Slapper. It's a 2 hour journey for me, but should be worth it, especially the final descent from Cross Fell.

It's about time I came south to Hayfield/Hope, so might ask you for some route help round there.

My cats send good wishes to your cats :roll:
    Frank Yates
  • Tank-slapper
    Tank-slapper Posts: 968
    It's about 4hrs each way for me.

I was planning to do a weekender later in the summer, but that hasn't gotten off the pizza box stage yet. If it happens, I will let you know.
    dave_hill wrote:
    Could you not just stuff the cats silly the day before then leave them to it for 24 hours?

Wish it was that simple. Our cats wouldn't survive an hour without food. Suppose they could hunt for it, one brought a mole in this morning. Didn't eat it though, just brought it to show me (as if I really wanted to see it).
  • Have a look at this thread if you want to see High Cup Nick in the British Summer, posted by one of our regular riders.

http://www.mtbe.co.uk/high-cup-nick-it- ... t3400.html

:D
  • slimbob
    slimbob Posts: 35
    That is a marathon ride, did it last year and don't live too far away but down south this wkend so no good, damn it.

That's a good report from mtbe, I was up there the week before and it was glorious. One point of note is that his picture of Cauldron Snout is not actually Cauldron snout - Cauldron snouth is about 400m from there and is a natural rocky waterfally section. (not particulary relevant to this thread as it is the Cow Green side but hey!?)
  • That weekend I was over Grassington way, and I got sleet on Weets summit, which is quite a bit lower than the Dun Fells. Forecast is good and dry for this week with maybe a bit of cloud on Saturday. That means that The Helm could be down on Cross Fell, which will change conditions dramatically for the top 500', so could be fun. Shouldn't see snow though.

Did a similar ride a couple of years ago, but from Cow Green went through Tynehead to Garrigill then up the Pennine Way to Greg's Hut. Didn't realise when I chose it that it meant a nine mile climb to the summit - just at the sort of unrelenting gradient that you know you should be able to ride easily, but which just wears you down after 90 minutes without a break. Think I'll try Trout Beck this time.
    Frank Yates
  • trailpuppet
    trailpuppet Posts: 381
    the weather for Wed/Thurs?Fri is rain and thunder storms for that area so will be a bit soggy under wheels.

Check Border TV weather forecast

Would loved to have come down but otherwise engaged...........................
    so I`ve been informed...................................................................................
  • Thanks for that. I've seen something similar myself. I know the stretch between High Cup & Cow Green can be a quagmire in the wet. I was also planning on cutting across Metalband Hill which is trackless - good in the dry, but not in the wet.

I'm working on an extended Borrowdale Bash as a Plan B, if needed.
    Frank Yates
  • It's pencilled in for next Saturday unless we get rain of biblical proportions.

The biblical has arrived, so the ride is OFF. Those who PMd me to say they were coming can have a lie in!

I'm off to Hurstwood for a sludge fest round Top Withins.
    Frank Yates