British Championship (Ladies) Spoiler

Keith Oates
Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
edited June 2009 in Pro race
Nicole Cooke won again for the tenth time, proving she is one of the best riders we have had in this country. There seems to have been a bit of an error made in awarding the 2nd place to Emma Pooley, although she has again also proven to be a great rider and one that will push very hard on Nicole in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Not so much a mistake as a completely irrational decision on the part of some BCF blazer.

Lizzie Armitstead was the best U23, so the blazer concerned decided she was in a completely separate race and so not eligible for the silver she actually won.

What next - take Nicole's first 6 championships away on the grounds that she was U23 or junior at the time?
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 1,747
    Shame for Lizzie, can't say I understand the logic of that decision at all.

Another great win for Nicole though. I already rue the fact that I could not got to see her race and win, on our home ground, wearing the World Champion's jersey.

But as it's Nicole, there should be other oportunities in the future :wink:

BTW - I don't think that we need *Spoiler* in the title. Will anybody be trying to hold out for a week before it is shown on ES?
  • Biffcp
    Biffcp Posts: 813
    There is no such category as 'Women U23'. You would think that the Chief Commissaire, Colin Clews, with all his years of experience, would be familiar with such a basic UCI rule. Asshat.

<i>Rarer than a one-liner by Howard Peel</i>
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    edited June 2009
    Start by sacking a few of them, then maybe they will get it right.

I think there is an element of prestige along with authority (ignored by many) that goes with the brazier, occasionally they get burnt. The ranting commy at Piggin Hill on Thursday night was hilarious, he was telling two numbered riders to drop back and they ignored him lap after lap, he eventually threatened them with a fine, fifty quid I think but his roar(squeek was hard to hear) was muted, some kid referred to him as the best commy in the South East, I think he is power obesed and Potty.The kid probably has his own internal power struggle, when you realise that most people in charge of others are totally unsuited to the task, that is for some wired reason why they try to master the task.

If the girl won it she has to get it, I have been there and the guy went to give me his fifth place medal but his girlfriend stopped him, but I knew so it did not matter to much.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Happened to an aussie bloke I met one too, he'd placed 3rd in the 50+ nationals but they wouldn't give him his medal as he was competing in the 65+ comp in the same field. Was 2 years before I met him and he was still seething.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 16,804
    Happened to an aussie bloke I met one too, he'd placed 3rd in the 50+ nationals but they wouldn't give him his medal as he was competing in the 65+ comp in the same field. Was 2 years before I met him and he was still seething.

they should get both medals
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • the ruling has been overturned and armistead will now receive the silver medal.
  • don key
    don key Posts: 494
    Did she get him ** the sack then?
  • Keith Oates
    Keith Oates Posts: 22,036
    the ruling has been overturned and armistead will now receive the silver medal.

That's good news, at least they got it right in the end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ride Daily, Keep Healthy