Tubeless tires or traditional?

gingivitis901
gingivitis901 Posts: 4
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
That is the question. The bike shop that I just bought my 2009 Gary Fisher Piranha at tried to push me to get tubeless ready hubs and then tubeless tires. I didn't want to drop another $100-200 on hubs before I did some adequate research.

What are the pros and cons of tubeless tires, and as a relatively avid mountain biker, is this something I should invest in?

Comments

• ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Great idea, really nice.

But nice enough for the investment... I'm not sure.

I'm planning a tubeless setup (tubeless rims, tubeless ready tryes and sealant) at some point. Just need to order other things first like two other sets of wheels :roll:

Pros: lower rolling resistance, pinch puncture resistance, puncture resistance with sealant, lower pressures, potentially lighter if done right

Cons:A BIG FAF, expensive, messy
  • Chainwh1p
    Chainwh1p Posts: 19
    If you decide to go tubeless you'll still need to carry inner tubes around for emergencies. Trying to fix a hole in a muddy tyre is not something you'll want to do on the trailside.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    it can be a real faff to fit but if you do it right (use actual tubeless tyres with a proper conversion kit or tubless rims) it is easy as inflating a tyre!

im currently running tubeless rims with tubless tyres and fitting couldnt be easier. ive used joes and stans too and they were easy too.

its howling expensive though.
  • I've just done it. The beads were as tight as you like (but this could have been a problem if I was just changing tyres anyway), but once I'd wrestled them on it was breeze. No fuss. No mess. Worked first time. I used the Bontrager system.