Rear Gearing Problems.

jacktheoc
jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
edited June 2009 in MTB workshop & tech
Been out on my Bike today, first time in a couple of weeks and when going in to the high gears some of them are not getting picked up by the rear mech.
The shifter says im in top gear which is 8 but im only in 7.. Also think its doing it around gear 4/5 aswell. Didnt want to start messing with it till i know what exactly is wrong as its XTR and i wont have the cash to replace it tbh.
Has the cable stretched some how or is it a matter or fiddling with the screws to try and adjust it?
Any help appreciated :)

Comments

• Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    The cables do stretch over time.

There is a helpful section on the Park Tools website showing how to adjust gears.

I did mine last week...they are great now.
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    edited June 2009
    cleaning and lubricating the cables would be a good first step :wink:

Is the 8th the one with the most tension on the cable or the least?
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • Si78
    Si78 Posts: 963
    Why has my sig been removed by the admins???
  • i have been having same problem with mine, i couldnt engage the top or the bottom sprocket even though shifter pod said i was in the gear, it will be the high and low screws which need tweeking ever so slightly,not sure which is which as i had to do both with my problem, but dont do it to much or it will shift your chain off, then you cant adjust cable tension at the lever, it will be easier if you have a stand to get rear wheel off the floor as well, as keep jumping on and riding takes for ever
  • jacktheoc
    jacktheoc Posts: 1,556
    Thanks for the help, il have a go at tweeking the screws later.
    8th is the most tension and i clean and lube the cables every 3/4 and spray with GT85 atleast twice a week (when i go out) so the cables are as clean as they could be tbh.
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    jacktheoc wrote:
    Thanks for the help, il have a go at tweeking the screws later.
    8th is the most tension and i clean and lube the cables every 3/4 and spray with GT85 atleast twice a week (when i go out) so the cables are as clean as they could be tbh.

Probably a streched cable then, use the barrel on the shifter to see if you can get more tension. It would be obvious if the limter screws were the problem.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll: