Back pain (Lower/Mid) after raising seat height.

LaurenceGough
LaurenceGough Posts: 218
Hi guys,

I'm getting some lower/middle back pain after even cycling for just 15 minutes or so. Only change I have done lately is to raise the seat height about 3-4 cm's to the correct height (so leg is almost straight when at bottom of stroke). I'm not as worn out after cycling but my back is in pain. The seat can't go any further towards the rear of the bike.

Any ideas on what I can do? Or what could be causing the problem?

I suppose I could just lower the seat again....

Thanks!
Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).

Comments

• Jonesy.
    Jonesy. Posts: 94
    Sounds like you are now too hunched over / stretched out, which will place a lot of stress on your lower back.

You'll need to raise the height of your stem, either using spacers (if your steerer has enough length to play with), or by getting a new stem with a steeper degree of rise, and possibly shorter length. You could also play with saddle position (e.g. move it forward), but it sounds like the problem is that you're too high in relation to the bars?
    3638691414_5b54d86f20.jpg
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I'd try moving the saddle forward a smidge possibly.

Also, stretch: hip flexors, glutes, hamstrings, ITB
    and do some core work at night.
  • I'd agree with Jonesy but urge some caution with ride_whenevers comments.

If you have a pre-existing back injury any normal core work could make things a lot worse. If you have any back exercises from gp/hospital/physio stick to those exercises for stretching and strengthening supporting muscle groups. If you dont then it may be worth popping to the docs for a printout of suitable exercises for your specific pains.
  • I think you might have raised your saddle too far. The leg should still have a small bend when fully extended.

Have a look here for some guidance http://bikedynamics.co.uk/page_1228826262495.html

Mike at BikeDynamics
  • Hi guys, very sorry for the late reply. I've been riding my bike a lot lately and funnily enough since I posted this I haven't had a problem with my back again.

I will keep all your points in mind if starts again though.

My legs are still slightly bent at BDC, but I have lowered the seat ever so slightly just to be on the safe side.
    Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Elite 2010
    Mongoose Tyax Elite 2007
    Carrera Limited Edition TDF

Full suspension - King of the forest!

If anyone rides in Sulham Wood give me a shout :).