British Heart Foundation - Ride of the Roses Cycle Challenge

BHF Events
BHF Events Posts: 6
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
This event takes place on Saturday 5th September 2009.

Push your stamina to the limit on the Ride of the Roses, a challenging 100 mile bike ride between two of the UK’s most historic and vibrant cities.

Setting off from Lancaster University, hundreds of riders will head out across the varied and breathtaking landscapes of Northern England, including the stunning Trough of Bowland, an ‘area of outstanding natural beauty’, Gisburn Forest and the rugged unspoilt scenery of the Yorkshire Dales.

With the majority of the route taking place on rural roads, you’ll face some steep gradients and challenging hill climbs before heading through the market town of Ripon in the heart of North Yorkshire then onto the final leg towards the finishing point in the beautiful city of York.
All our riders will receive a free Ride of the Roses T Shirt in red or white. Which county will you give your allegiance to in your own personal battle to complete the Ride of the Roses?

Why do it
You’ll be taking part in our longest and most challenging bike ride. Only in it’s second year, the Ride of the Roses provides a tough challenge but a truly fabulous route with some spectacular views.

Here’s what some of last year’s participants had to say:

“Until this ride, I would not have believed it possible to ride across this country for 100 miles on such quiet roads, crossing so few road junctions, I found it a superb ride”
Barry Pickup, Lancashire

“This is a real challenge of physical, emotional & mental stamina. There is no doubt, that this ride and route is not for wimps!”
Richard Sykes, Lancashire

“It’s a great cycling route and several of the 1:6 hills appealed to my sense of enjoyment, although by the end of the last climb I was looking forward to the ‘flat’ approach to York!”
Neil Blakeley, North Yorkshire

We ask that you aim to raise a minimum of £100 for completing the Ride of the Roses. Your entry fee will help cover our costs, but it’s your sponsorship money that helps save lives

Please contact our events team on the details below or visit the BHF website (Bhf.org.uk/roses) for more information on this event.

Events Team (Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm)
0800 085 2280
northevents@bhf.org.uk