Hillclimbing woes

Flenser
Flenser Posts: 372
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Since I got back in the saddle I've had real trouble with hills, getting off and pushing trouble. I always seem to be in granny, huffing and puffing at the back while my brother and brother-in-law steam off into the distance. :shock:

Now I'm no racing snake (15st and 5ft 10in) but my brother-in-law has one if not two stone on me. Frankly it's getting embarrassing!

Anyhoo, this afternoon on out little thirteen miler the brother-in-law swapped bikes with me at the bottom of one of the hills that gives me mucho trouble. He took my full-suss Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (his old bike BTW, a hand-me-down) and I hopped on his Claud Butler Cape Wrath D27.

IT WAS LIKE JUMPING ON A BIKE THAT HAD AN ENGINE! I floated up that hill on middle ring instead of the granny like I usually do. :shock: :D

I'm not a sad old knacker, it's just that my bike is CRAP! Which to be honest I was already aware of, but not that aware if you know what I mean. :lol:

Say hello to a very chuffed chap.

Now, who want to lend me a couple of quid towards a Rockhopper? :lol:
Claud Bulter Cape Wrath D27 (2009)
Raleigh MaxLite FS1 (2001)

Comments

• deffler
    deffler Posts: 829
    Go on you know you wanna get a new bike :lol:
    Boardman Hybrid Pro

Planet X XLS
  • Jonesy.
    Jonesy. Posts: 94
    Very true, some bikes climb better than others, especially a hardtail over a full suss (disclaimer for full suss riders: I am generalising, I know some high-end full suss bikes will climb very well too, but a Raleigh Maxlite is not one of them).

Take note though, some hardtails climb better than other hardtails. Depends on the geometry, weight, fork length and stiffness.

Check out a Scott Scale, I believe those are pretty good climbers. Not sure about the Hopper, owners on the forum will be able to advise you. Worth testing out a few different makes for your budget and see which suits you best.
    3638691414_5b54d86f20.jpg
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Oddly enough, I spent the latter half of last year, and the start of this one on a hardtail Kona, and thought it would climb better than my marin full-susser. It was lighter, but otherwise had exactly the same components (I just swapped them from one frame to the other).

When I switched back to my marin though, I found that the uphills were much easier on my full suss. strange, but true :shock:
    I've since figured out how, I think, but it's all a bit complimicated.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    I ride a carbon Scott Spark FS and it climbs like a mountain goat on speed.

A well thought out suspension can improve hill climbing and bad design will slap your energy and make even a simple climb fell like everest.
  • Stormtrooper
    Stormtrooper Posts: 420
    I have been using a Boardman comp for a while now and this week i bought a giant anthem x3 full susser.
    Some how i find the giant much easier on the same climbs i have been doing on the hardtail as with the hardtail i sometimes ifelt out of puff and needed a rest at the top.
  • Congrats!

If you want to keep this level of performance leap going then get yourself a cheap heart rate monitor - Sounds weird but with training and practice its probably the one thing that gets you up hills quicker than a lighter bike!
  • Flenser
    Congrats!

If you want to keep this level of performance leap going then get yourself a cheap heart rate monitor - Sounds weird but with training and practice its probably the one thing that gets you up hills quicker than a lighter bike!

Could be some truth to this. Previously mentioned brother in law has a heart rate monitor as well.

In addition to improving my hill climbing I've just discovered I've dropped half a stone since taking up cycling. That's without altering my (frankly pretty rubbish!) diet. :D
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    I have been using a Boardman comp for a while now and this week i bought a giant anthem x3 full susser.
    Some how i find the giant much easier on the same climbs i have been doing on the hardtail as with the hardtail i sometimes ifelt out of puff and needed a rest at the top.

I've found the Anthem a better climber than my Cube too, not a great difference on tarmac or fireroad (the skinny tyres on the Anthem probably account for the slight improvement) but as soon as there's anything technical it's like a mountain goat! Are you finding you can't go for a leisurely ride anymore ST? As soon as I jump on it I want to race it everywhere :twisted:
  • Stormtrooper
    Stormtrooper Posts: 420
    yeah i'm finding i want to go a bit quicker on it aswell, but before my next ride on wednesday i think i need to have a play with the pressures in the shocks as i think i have a bit to much sag in them, once i have that sorted then i'm gonna give it some beans well try to anyway. Oh and hte factory tyres have been replaced with a Kevlar Maxxisa ardent 2.25 on the front with a crossmark 2.1 exception series on the back and so for they seem good.
  • llamafarmer
    llamafarmer Posts: 1,893
    Oh and hte factory tyres have been replaced with a Kevlar Maxxisa ardent 2.25 on the front with a crossmark 2.1 exception series on the back and so for they seem good.

Mine came with Racing Ralphs fortunately, which I love :D
  • Underpants
    Underpants Posts: 120
    I had my first proper XC ride out on the weekend and really enjoyed every part of it including the up hill sections. We rode for about 2.5 hours through the wooded sections of Roundhay Park in Leeds. Mostly singletrack stuff.

My problem is I was finding it really hard not to dab my foot down at times or in some cases stop and push when attempting steepish inclines where my mate seemed to be getting up relatively easily. Some of the sections were what you guys who know what you're on about may call "technical" in that there was a lot of pretty substantial tree rootage going on which proved to be my main stumbling block but I also struggled with losing traction and once my real wheel spun my climb was over.

My fitness isnt an issue so I'm thinking I must be doing something wrong as my mate is also a complete beginner yet he was a fair bit better going up than I was. Can you offer any tips/advice?

Thanks very much
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    edited June 2009
    The hills gets easier.. eventually ;)

If you're riding up a long hill try to think about riding "over the hill" rather than "up the hill".

As to riding up technical hills were you on different tyres, was your mate clipped in, was he riding full-sus and you were on a hard tail? Were you sitting down or standing up? Roots are not my favourite...

Maybe he's fitter than you or was in a lower gear? Practice makes perfect... or that's what I tell myself :D
  • cgarossi
    cgarossi Posts: 729
    I would guess if you are using flat pedals, your position might be a tad skewed. Get some SPDs and learn to ride on the ball of your feet which gives optimum power. Also you need to learn to shift your weight around the bike. Keeping a low profile on climbs helps while keeping your weight to the front but not so much that the rear end becomes light.

So for example you come to a root on a steep ascent, as you approach let the front wheel move over the root then shift your weight to the front stopping the front wheel from rising off the ground, then as you progress over it keep a neutral position and power over the root with your backside slightly off the sadle so the rear end can rise up easily. Its a knack but knowing where to put your weight will make all the difference.
  • Underpants
    thanks for the replies

We were both riding hardtails. His a Giant Boulder Disc and mine a Kona Cinder Cone. I have Maxxis Ignitor tyres (i think...whatever came with it) and I was on the granny ring most of the time. Both of us have flat pedals and I was standing when pedalling - not sure what he was doing I was too busy trying like hell to get up the slope!

I definitely have the edge on him physically as this was pretty much the lazy feckers first ever attempt at P.E in 32 years :lol:

I will have to keep practicing then I guess. Thanks for the tips.
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Underpants wrote:
    We were both riding hardtails. His a Giant Boulder Disc and mine a Kona Cinder Cone. I have Maxxis Ignitor tyres (i think...whatever came with it) and I was on the granny ring most of the time. Both of us have flat pedals and I was standing when pedalling - not sure what he was doing I was too busy trying like hell to get up the slope!.

Generally I find it easier to stay seated as much as possible, otherwise it's too easy to lose traction and then it's often all over, as you know! Obviously there are times when you need to get out of the saddle (to shift your weight to clear obstacles, or just to give it some if you feel you're stalling) but my advice is to try and stay seated and spinning.
  • mhuk
    mhuk Posts: 327
    My hill climbing was very poor last year. I watched the CTS Hill Climbing DVD and did it in the gym for a few months - it works. Doesn't help with the technical side though...
  • Underpants
    I'll try to stay seated then and see if that helps. I attempted that once or twice though and my front wheel just lifted...I'll stick at it though.

Sounds like I'm just a being a bit of a spaz though to be honest :oops:
  • MrChuck
    MrChuck Posts: 1,663
    Yeah, a lot will depend on your bike setup and how prone it is to popping the front wheel up but practice will help*. On some steeper climbs I find myself perched on the very tip of my saddle with my chin almost on the stem and elbows stuck out like the people in those Chicken Tonight ads. Pretty it ain't but it works- just keep shuffling about until you hit the sweet spot!

* And lungs as well- momentum is important and if you can keep up a steady spin it'll help a lot.
  • Underpants
    MrChuck wrote:
    like the people in those Chicken Tonight ads

:lol:
  • Flenser
    Some good tips here, cheers guys.
  • handful
    handful Posts: 920
    I use a technique similar to Mr Chucks on technical ascents, balancing right on the nose of the saddle but instead of sticking the elbows out (chicken tonite style!!) I keep them tucked in a bit but the overriding important thing I do is twist the handgrips really hard which gives me the feeling of driving the front end into the tread of the tyre.....worked for me on bits I used to have to walk. Still crap on the stamina front though so I will watch this thread with interest. :wink:
    Vaaru Titanium Sram Red eTap
    Moda Chord with drop bars and Rival shifters - winter/do it all bike
    Orbea Rise