Campag indexing - easy?

giant_man
giant_man Posts: 6,878
edited July 2009 in Workshop
Hi - about to change my cassette and chain on 2003 Record 10s (done very well I thought) and wondering how easy it is to index gears. As fiddly as Shimano ie. rear derallieur? Or cunningly easy cos it's Campag?

Or if there are any online guides, they would be welcome. And yes, I have done a search on this subject on this forum already.

Comments

• redddraggon
    redddraggon Posts: 10,862
    No different from shimano/SRAM IME
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bice
    bice Posts: 772
    Ditto. It's the front that is difficult, but that shouldn't be affected.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Front difficult? IME Campagnolo is easier to set up because of the multi-position ratchet - the big mistake most people make is setting it too high and not getting the cage angle right. Campagnolo recommends setting indexing from the middle sprocket for the rear but I always start from the outside - set the stop screws, give the inner cable a firm pull to seat the outers, reset the cable clamp and a couple of turns of the adjuster usually sees you sorted.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • bice
    You are probably right. I have not done a modern front Shimano. I just meant front mech is harder than rear. Somehow when I did my Centaur stuff I had the cable too tight, so it wasn't ever resting on the inside limit, so I got chain rub. When I loosened it, so the mech rested against the limit and started again, it was fine. And I agree the various rachet positions make trimming easy.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    Just changing chain and cassette you should not have to reset the indexing anyway.
  • redddraggon
    John.T wrote:
    Just changing chain and cassette you should not have to reset the indexing anyway.

Nope. I agree.

GiantMan, surely you've changed the cables a few times anyway? (I change my cables at least once a year) I can't imagine the cables would have lasted 6 years, so you should have plenty of practice in indexing?
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    As fiddly as Shimano
    :?: :?: :?:
    Indexing Shimano gears is dead easy...
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    John.T wrote:

Nope. I agree.

GiantMan, surely you've changed the cables a few times anyway? (I change my cables at least once a year) I can't imagine the cables would have lasted 6 years, so you should have plenty of practice in indexing?

No mate haven't touched it actually. Been absolutely fine so didn't see the need, possibly neclect on my part of course.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    John.T wrote:

Nope. I agree.

Why?
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Nuggs wrote:
    As fiddly as Shimano
    :?: :?: :?:
    Indexing Shimano gears is dead easy...

+1 on that.
  • redddraggon
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Why?

Cables don't tend to last 6 years if you use the bike.
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bice
    That makes the 30 year old cable on my commuter 5-speed a bit of a miracle then
  • redddraggon
    edited July 2009
    bice wrote:
    That makes the 30 year old cable on my commuter 5-speed a bit of a miracle then

We talking indexed gears not non-indexed DT shifters obviously, so that experience is worthless
    I like bikes...

Twitter
    Flickr
  • bice
    You mean: perhaps not quite the miracle I had assumed
  • Nuggs
    Nuggs Posts: 1,804
    your experience is worthless
    Generally or just in relation to gear cables?
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Ha! I've still got all the original Shimano cables and chain on my 11 yr old mtb. Not used daily I'll grant you, but apart from periodic removal / cleaning / lubrication I've not had any issues. Eldest son has been using it at uni for the past year where it'd been living outside most of the time.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    John.T wrote:

Nope. I agree.

No mate haven't touched it actually. Been absolutely fine so didn't see the need, possibly neclect on my part of course.

Neglect? I'd call that outright abuse! :P
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    Nuggs wrote:
    your experience is worthless
    Generally or just in relation to gear cables?

In relation to the continued operation of index gears. With non index gears a little cable stretch only means that you have to shift the gear lever a bit further to get the big sprockets, and the cable may be a little slack when reach the small one. On indexed gears, however, it is wailling and gnashing of teeth time as the gears fail to synchronize.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • bice
    Of course, there's no comparison. The simplicity of downshifters and lack of maintenance is why they are still worthwhile on some bikes.

I have not had my roadbikes, with Campag and 105 shifters, long enough to knacker the cables. But if they stretch, don't you just tighten them up? Or do they stretch unevenly and the indexing fails?

In the past, with twist grip shifters and cr@p bikes, I have always used cables until they break.

With STIs and Campag Ergopower, I can imagine front mech cable breaking, but you would be unlucky with the rear one, surely?
  • APIII
    APIII Posts: 2,010
    It's not so much the cables - the slack can be picked up as you say. It's the outers. Once they split at the cable stops, you're pretty much screwed. I did make one set last 5 years though, and yes I did ride the bike.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The lining also wears especialy on the bend in the rear section, also where the outer follows the bars on Campag. This can create havoc with the indexing.
  • sicknote
    sicknote Posts: 901
    I had a problem with mine not so long ago and found that when I changed the cable, on pulling out the old one.
    One part of the cable had worked it way back up in the outer, making setting up a real pain.

After changing the cable, it was much easier to set up from there.
  • sheffsimon
    sheffsimon Posts: 1,282
    SheffSimon wrote:
    Why?

Cables don't tend to last 6 years if you use the bike.

Bike gets a lot of use, race on it, train on it, have no problem with cables despite not changing them yearly.