Changing gear shifters

fivelittlefish
fivelittlefish Posts: 233
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
Hello everyone
Just got back into biking and bought a Commencal Combi, which I like. I don't like the gear shifters though (SRAM) is it possible to change these to Shimano XT or XTR, without changing anything else, or do I also need to change the mechs?

"it rubs the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again"

Comments

• Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    It has an SRAM X7 Derailleur yes?
    If so then you have to change that as well because SRAM/Shimano use different cable pulls so won't work together.
  • Yes it does - thanks for the reply - that's a big help!
  • Salsa
    The X5 shifters on that bike are pretty good quality, what is it you don't like about them?
    Are they too plastic or flexy, if so you could upgrade those to X7 or X9, changing the derailleur & shifters to XT will be quite a cost, & to XTR a huge cost.
    I prefer Shimano to SRAM personally & run XTR shifters/derailleur, however I managed to get them at trade price, retail on them is very costly.
  • Just prefer Shimano - I don't like that both up and down levers on the SRAMs are push - prefer push up, pull down type. Also the SRAM is a bit plastiky like you say... :?
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    i much SRAM to shimano, much smoother shifting IMO.

if you do change your mech make sure you get the right frame diameter, as well as the pull and swing design.

Having said that i think you can get universal XT front mechs that works with most designs
  • Salsa
    Front mech doesn't matter & will work with SRAM or Shimano shifters, I certainly agree FLF I couldn't get on with the push push style either.
    Some people say SRAM changes better, I don't find this myself. It may have a slightly more mechanical click feel to it but that doesn't swing it for me, also SRAM supposedly needs less maintainence to keep it indexed, again I don't find that & anyway I can dial in cable stretch whilst riding using the barrel adjuster if needed (not that I have really ever needed too).

New XT/XTR is great with it's push or pull for downshifts, XTR even better as it has double downshift as well (don't think XT has this).
  • fivelittlefish
    fivelittlefish Posts: 233
    edited June 2009
    Salsa wrote:
    Front mech doesn't matter & will work with SRAM or Shimano shifters,.

Yep - front mech is Shimano Deore at the moment, X5 SRAM Shifters, X7 Deraill.
  • LoUiS1985
    New XT/XTR is great with it's push or pull for downshifts, XTR even better as it has double downshift as well (don't think XT has this).

no it doesn't
  • LoUiS1985
    (don't think XT has this).

no it doesn't