Swapping Full-Suss for Hardtail

Muzak
Muzak Posts: 78
edited June 2009 in MTB buying advice
Hi

Like riding XC, fast singletrack and the occasional trail centre. Nothing too heavy or overly technical. Have a Blur LT with Float 32, RP23, X9 and DT Ex5.1D on 340 hubs. Fantastic bike. A really plush ride, it can handle anything. However, have been getting nostalgic for a hardtail in order to get more 'connected' with the trail.

Thinking of selling the Blur frame and swapping all the bits onto a Ti 456. Seems most go the other way, from HT to FS, so is this a daft idea?

Thanks, M.

Comments

• joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    no, its def not! i belive HT's are more fun, they are harder work, and can be more uncomfortable...... but ......... they give a more connected feel, they really sort the men from the boys, show the good riders and the bad ones, and they make mundane stuff fun.Why look for a huge mountain, when you can have a chalange in the local woods! thats not to say a decent long travel HT cant take big mountains, a good rider will still nail them!
    Go for it!!!!!!!
    you will not regret it, after all, a full sus is just trying to make a rock garden into a road, a ht makes the most of the chalange! it might not be the fastest, but its the most fun!
    I like bikes and stuff
  • snotty badger
    snotty badger Posts: 1,593
    I'm probably gonna build up a HT as a 2nd bike/commuter/winter hack but theres no way I'd go back to only a HT.

I think having a FS you forget how bone shaking a HT can be! :lol:
    08 Pitch Pro
    14 Kona Unit
    Kona Kula SS
    Trailstar SS
    94 Univega Alpina 5.3
  • supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    I've no experience on a FS (which beggars the question why am I even replying...) but my Rockhopper is like riding a jackhammer when I'm speeding down rough rooty trails, even at moderate speeds. And I love it! Great fun, feels fast no matter how slow I'm going. :lol:

I'm sure eventually the shiny-gadget monster that lives in my wallet will buy something that bounces at both ends, but at the moment I'm really enjoying getting the stuffing knocked out of my on a lively HT.
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    I've no experience on a FS (which beggars the question why am I even replying...) but my Rockhopper is like riding a jackhammer when I'm speeding down rough rooty trails, even at moderate speeds. And I love it! Great fun, feels fast no matter how slow I'm going. :lol:

I'm sure eventually the shiny-gadget monster that lives in my wallet will buy something that bounces at both ends, but at the moment I'm really enjoying getting the stuffing knocked out of my on a lively HT.
    oh yeah! tis fun is it not? FS's try to eliminate the chalange, great for racing, not good for fun. Why do Black diamond runs exist? becouse so many people have full suses and need a chalange that a normal black provides to those on a HT! Go fun loving HTness, or sumin. :lol: Although i will (probably) one day (when im old and decrepid) cave in and get a full bouncer.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    have any of the folks who dont like fs bikes ridden a good one? they are plenty of fun.

as for the OP there is no reason why you shouldnt change your frame for whatever reason, loads of folk love ht and there are plenty of good reasons to, i would recommend riding one before doing the full swap just incase they're not as much fun as they used to be.
  • LoUiS1985
    LoUiS1985 Posts: 841
    i ride a FS and HT and TBH i prefer mt HT because it's lighter, faster and i prefer the feel of it. having said that i would never get ird of my FS because there's always a place for it and when i go to trail centres and suchlike i usually take my FS. i would keep your FS ( Blur LT's are superb) and buy or build up a HT as and when you can afford it
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Fun is so subjective though. People have plenty of fun on BMXs, no sus at all lol.