New brakes for an STI tourer

onewallfree
onewallfree Posts: 415
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
I recently completed my first laden tour on my Stevens Strada (called a Gran Turismo now), and the brakes have got to go. It has Oxygen (same as Tektro, I think) lo-pro cantis and they are worthless.

Can anyone recommend some decent brakes for a tourer? I have 105 STI levers and would prefer not to replace them if possible, but brakes that stop the bike are the most important thing.

I've read a lot about the Avid Shorties, but the reviews are so conflicting, I've no idea if they're any better than what I've got.

Thanks!
<font>
Me via SMS: Are you home yet?
Colin on my Trice: No. I\'m completely lost at the moment, but I\'m having loads of fun!</font>

Comments

• andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    Best are old style wide profile cantis.
    They are mostly used for cyclocross, and are imitations of old Mafac brakes - eg the "frogleggs". There are now more modern versions that can use standard caliper blocks with toe-in adjustment.

I'd suggest the Tektro CR720 or CR520

Note that wide profile cantis require care in getting them adjusted properly if they are to work well, and also in maintaining the adjustment as the pad wears. When well adjusted they are powerful enough to send you over the front of the bike if you grab too hard.
    They can also get in the way of rear panniers and your heels (depending on frame and foot sizing). You don't need strong brakes on the back, so it's not unusual to use wide on the front and low profile on the back.
  • onewallfree
    Thanks! What's the difference between the 720 and the 520? Is it just the colour?

I'll have the LBS set them up for me, anyway. It always takes me 3 times as long to do anything.
    <font>
    Colin on my Trice: No. I\'m completely lost at the moment, but I\'m having loads of fun!</font>
  • andrew_s
    andrew_s Posts: 2,511
    The 720 is the shinier version.
    for example, it comes with brake shoes and pads rather than the blocks that you get with the 520 (blocks being moulded on to the fittings).
  • onewallfree
    I'm afraid you've lost me. I though all cantis had those rubber-moulded-over-steel-pin pads.
    <font>
  • tardington
    tardington Posts: 1,379
    I thought they all had normal pads!

I think those brakes are the ones on the new tricrosses btw.
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
    Tektro cantis use V brake pads, which is great for choice and availability.
    Zepnat stock them and were the cheapest when I bought last year. They also do the 520s with cartridge pads.
    http://www.zepnat.com/component/page,sh ... Itemid,48/
  • PHcp
    PHcp Posts: 2,748
  • onewallfree
    Thanks for all the tips.

The LBS doesn't have the 520s or the 720s in stock, but he does have Suntour XC Pros including the self-energising rear. From a lot of what I've read, these are the daddies, lusted after by discerning tourers the world over.

Would I be better off putting them on the bike? They're cheap, too, as they're ever-so-slightly used.
    <font>
  • Try Spa Cycles, or Dotbike for the Tektros - I fitted them to our Tricrosses (that came with mini-Vs) and they were a huge improvement. Plenty of stopping power, no squeal, and enough movement that tiny (<1mm) wobbles in the rim were no problem.