Riding TDF Routes

fournwi
fournwi Posts: 4
edited July 2009 in Tour & expedition
Does anyone know what the time cutoffs are for riding the TDF routes prior to the caravan/race, etc?

Comments

• Peak Times
    Peak Times Posts: 81
    To be honest, I would say that an hour before the caravan you will still see riders - however it all depends on:
      where when and of course (it is France after all) where the gendarmes are controlling the road whether the gendarmes are happy whether the gendarmes boss is nearby whether you are a guy or a gal whether the gendarme has a hangover whether the gendarme .....etc etc etc I am a councillor in France and asked the head of our local gendarmerie the same question last year - his advice - don't try the road will be closed tonight. I ended up driving up to the Col with guests with plenty of time to spare the next morning. Bottom line - give yourself time and be prepared to walk past the control points
    www.peak-times.com

Independent or supported cycling holidays in the French Pyrenees
  • sampras38
    sampras38 Posts: 1,917
    fournwi wrote:
    Does anyone know what the time cutoffs are for riding the TDF routes prior to the caravan/race, etc?

I rode a little of stage 17 on wednesday and we were on the road about 2 hours before the riders came through. Even managed to ride about 3/4's of the way up the Colombiere climb before settling and waiting for the riders to come through. No cars on the road and the police just waved us so we went the right way.