My Malt 4

jamsop
jamsop Posts: 51
edited June 2009 in Your mountain bikes
Hello folks,

New member here and here's my pride and joy. Got the bike last year but never stopped tinkering with is since! It's too addictive.

Will post updated pics later

Comments

• supertwisted
    supertwisted Posts: 565
    Nice - like the Tamiya decal. :D
    Less internal organs, same supertwisted great taste.
  • dunker
    dunker Posts: 1,503
    i wanna tamiya decal for mine! hehe very nice bike there and welcome :)
  • jamsop
    edited November 2010
    Thanks. I used to race RC model cars (TB Evo4& Xray T1R) so had some decals left over.

Forks: Rock Shox Reba Team, 100mm travel, Motion Control damping, external floodgate & lockout – Pushlock remote
    Frame-: Kinesis Kinesium Superlite tubing
    Headset: Merlin & Carbon spacers
    Hubs: Shimano XT
    Brakes: Shimano XT hydraulic disc brakes, 180mm front rotor
    Chainset: Shimano XT
    Rear Mech: Shimano XT
    Front Mech: Shimano XTR
    Cassette Shimano XTR
    Chain Shimano XTR
    Shifters: Shimano XT
    Handle Bars: Raceface Carbon NEXT SL
    Rims: Mavic XC 717
    Stem: Raceface Evolve XC
    Seatpost: Thomson Setback
    Tyres: Continental Speed King Folding – Supersonic tubes
    Saddle: Selle Italia Flow Gel Ti rails
    Pedals: Shimano XT

Here are some more updated pics.....

XZ3S8252.jpg
    XZ3S8245.jpg
  • The Prodigy
    The Prodigy Posts: 832
    Nice one
  • mastermosher
    mastermosher Posts: 233
    Nice bike.
    What size frame is that and how tall are you?
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • Nice looking bike there jamsop 8)

Can I just ask a couple of questions?

How do you find the seat for comfort, & for strength ie. is it flimsy or tough as nails? and is it a pain to keep white?

Also how do find the carbon Race Face handle bars? Love the look of them & the weight but worried about the whole carbon snapping thing!

I ask these questions as they are both on my shortlist for my custom bike build (in sig) and would love some real world feedback.

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    jamsop wrote:
    Thanks. I used to race RC model cars (TB Evo4& Xray T1R) so had some decals left over.
    Haha! I used to race too, I had a Tenth Technology "Predator". It was gret fun :D

That is a very nice looking bike you got there.
  • jamsop
    Nice bike.
    What size frame is that and how tall are you?

17" 5'.8". Personally I find the size spot on in terms of both comfort and nimbleness.

Beware that the top tube is a little shorter than normal......... best to try first...
  • jamsop
    Nice looking bike there jamsop 8)

Can I just ask a couple of questions?

How do you find the seat for comfort, & for strength ie. is it flimsy or tough as nails? and is it a pain to keep white?

Also how do find the carbon Race Face handle bars? Love the look of them & the weight but worried about the whole carbon snapping thing!

I ask these questions as they are both on my shortlist for my custom bike build (in sig) and would love some real world feedback.

At first I found the saddle very hard and firm but for long distance riding I actually find it better firm.

It really depends on your riding style and the shape of your backside... it may fit me but it might not you!

The shell does flex but I think it's part of the design. Overall the fit and finish is one of the best I've seen with a real leather cover. Like Italian shoes!

However, I had to change the seatpost as the rails on the Selle Italia was not completely round. So I had problems with my old seat post (Raceface evolve XC) holding the rails. Since the raceface clamps sideways if you get what I mean. Very difficult to explain....But that gave me the excuse to get the Thomson and Wow love the quality......

Oh and I find white fairly easy to keep clean.. a wipe after every ride and some leather cream every few months. Although the perforated holes do seem to attract mud.

Not much to say about the bars but they look bling. Like all carbon components you have to take care of them. Just make sure you have a torque wrench to fit your levers to the bar.

Hope this helps........
  • Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    A white one :shock:

Really nice, like the wheels :D

I used to race a HPI RC Car (ducks for cover :lol: )
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • jamsop
    Whytepeak wrote:
    A white one :shock:

Don't you know .... White is the new black :)
  • jamsop wrote:
    At first I found the saddle very hard and firm but for long distance riding I actually find it better firm.

It really depends on your riding style and the shape of your backside... it may fit me but it might not you!

The shell does flex but I think it's part of the design. Overall the fit and finish is one of the best I've seen with a real leather cover. Like Italian shoes!

However, I had to change the seatpost as the rails on the Selle Italia was not completely round. So I had problems with my old seat post (Raceface evolve XC) holding the rails. Since the raceface clamps sideways if you get what I mean. Very difficult to explain....But that gave me the excuse to get the Thomson and Wow love the quality......

Oh and I find white fairly easy to keep clean.. a wipe after every ride and some leather cream every few months. Although the perforated holes do seem to attract mud.

Not much to say about the bars but they look bling. Like all carbon components you have to take care of them. Just make sure you have a torque wrench to fit your levers to the bar.

Hope this helps........

Perfect, thanks :D