2008 Tour a "joke"

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited June 2009 in Pro race
So says Mr Armstrong
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    edited June 2009
    well we are all waiting

I'm hearing a lot of talk but i didn't see a lot of riding at the giro...

even in the third week when he was finding form he couldn't handle any of the accelerations
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • micron
    micron Posts: 1,843
    Armstrong may be able to control many things but he can't control the interwebs and all those nasty things people say about him :lol:

Loving the way he wants to prove he's clean by coming back to show how easily he can beat all the dopers - he never comes across as very bright when he's spouting stuff like this, let alone sounding utterly disrespectful.

But then for some of us the Tours of 1999-2005 were one long, not very funny, joke
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Contador,if at his best,on a level playing field (that is to say team orders not withstanding) will beat the current LA
    If LA had not stopped racing,then there's a fair chance he would still be dominating,but,three years out.....?
    so many cols,so little time!
  • GroupOfOne MkII
    GroupOfOne MkII Posts: 1,289
    Christ, he really is becoming more and more abrasive isn't he. Bet VdeV is really happy about that comment.

I do hope Hinault publically shuns him on the Tour podium (well ok I actually hope that Big Tex doesn't make it anywhere near the podium, but I'm resigned to it at some point).

Also is anyone else getting wound up by ITV4's Tour ads being about Armstrong and nothing else. Fair enough to the general public it's the main story, but they could at least show some fields of sunflowers or some fans or something.
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292

...I do hope Hinault publically shuns him on the Tour podium (well ok I actually hope that Big Tex doesn't make it anywhere near the podium, but I'm resigned to it at some point).

... i hope he gives him a left upper-cut :D
  • iainf72
    He does make me laugh. Lets look at the top 10 from his final Tour

1 Lance Armstrong United States Discovery Channel 86h 15' 02"
    (41.654 km/h)
    2 Ivan Basso Italy Team CSC + 4' 40"
    3 Jan Ullrich Germany T-Mobile Team + 6' 21"
    4 Francisco Mancebo Spain Illes Balears-Caisse d'Epargne + 9' 59"
    5 Alexander Vinokourov Kazakhstan T-Mobile Team + 11' 01"
    6 Levi Leipheimer United States Gerolsteiner + 11' 21"
    7 Michael Rasmussen Denmark Rabobank + 11' 33"
    8 Cadel Evans Australia Davitamon-Lotto + 11' 55"
    9 Floyd Landis United States Phonak + 12' 44"
    10 Óscar Pereiro Spain Phonak + 16' 04"

Now that, is a joke.
  • nick hanson
    nick hanson Posts: 1,655
    Going by that,Evans for 2nd place....again!
    Whoops,we forgot AC,didn't we?
    The biggest competition will be IN Astana,by the look of things :shock:
    so many cols,so little time!
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    I really dislike that man
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • iainf72
    It's interesting, Astana 2009 is starting to resemble Astana 2007 at the Tour.

Alexandre Vinokourov (Kaz)
    Antonio Colom Mas (Spa)
    Maxim Iglinskiy (Kaz)
    Serguei Ivanov (Rus)
    Andrey Kashechkin (Kaz)
    Andreas Klöden (Ger)
    Daniel Navarro Garcia (Spa)
    Grégory Rast (Swi)
    Paolo Savoldelli (Ita)

Very strong with at least 2 riders who could win. But by the time they reached the first mountains they'd already lost.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    Will his ego be able to fit into France?
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I know he didn't write it, but...

...But in a new book, Lance Armstrong - The World's Greatest Champion...

*head explodes* :twisted: :roll:
  • Jez mon
    Jez mon Posts: 3,809
    Hope he gets his ar$e kicked, hard :twisted:

He won't win, maybe if he went specifically for either of the other two grand tours he might get another GT win next to his name, but even then I could only see that happening if the course was suited to him. As it is, I can't see him beating AC.

OTOH, he might surprise us. But I really hope not!
    You live and learn. At any rate, you live
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,874
    if he wins it... hats off to him... but honestly i think he has lost it... along with a few others

I don't think anyone is going to buy this CSC/ high road /astana steam train thing... there might be some horrible train wreck coming our way...
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • Other teams should be working out how to exploit the obvious issues in Astana. Who will Klodeon ride for now?
  • His ego is amazing, and it seems that if you have the audacity to mention doping within 6 degrees of seperation of His Highness then your a greedy horrible person (how probably isnt worth the chair your sitting on). I remmeber watching my first tours in the 2000's and you watch him and think wow thats amazing and from there you slowly get to dislike the guy less and less. No humility.
    Take care of the luxuries and the necessites will take care of themselves.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,485
    I wonder if he actually saw much of the race? With a few days to go there were 6 riders in with a chance of victory and it came down to the last time trial to decide the podium, probably the most exciting finish in the last ten years.

A refreshing change from the processions that epitomised the Armstrong era.

I'd much rather this year's race being similar to last year than 2004 or 2005.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,043
    Agreed, Sastre displayed something that LA will never understand.

Subtlety.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    I'm just hoping that Caisse will ride for Contador. Now that would be fun ....
  • mgcycleguy
    mgcycleguy Posts: 292
    I really hope we get a full scale civil war inside Astana, with Caisse joining in.... and Cadel steals the prize from under their noses !
  • Bakunin
    Bakunin Posts: 868
    I think the Versus comments are very interesting...that channel has a raging xxxxx for Armstrong. They adore him. Far from taking a position on Armstrong's victories, the "Take back the Tour" slogan was a weak attempt to save what little credibility that Paul and Phil have left. There was nothing more pathetic than when people are being caught and tossed out of the tour -- Phil and Paul pretended to be stunned. Those two are clowns.

By the way, does anyone know whether Armstrong can walk on water?
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Bakunin wrote:

By the way, does anyone know whether Armstrong can walk on water?

That's why he was so good at triathlons back in the day - he just ran across the lake
    Twitter: @RichN95