26"wheel on a Bianchi Volpe mounting the 700c ones;Poss

sancap6
sancap6 Posts: 2
edited June 2009 in Tour & expedition
Hi,

just on these days I'm buying from an U.S. store a 2008 Bianchi Volpe which has the 700c rims. Due to their unavailability in developing countries, I would immediately like to change them. So is it possible to mount a 26" wheel size on this bike? The dealer told me that there would be some problem regarding the brakes alignement of this bike with the 26" rim size. Does anyone have some experience in this wheel change for this bike? I really hope I can do this change, planning an asian ride from Italy.
Love & Peace,
Alex

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    I think the dealer is right - the brakes won't be in the right place to grip the rims (or rather the rims will be in the wrong place). I don't know of a way round this short of getting a framebuilder to put new brake bosses on but that seems like an expensive and not very good solution.

Why not buy a bike that's designed to work with 26 inch wheels? For example there's the Surly Long Haul Trucker (at least in the smaller sizes), or Koga Miyata WorldTraveller - or you could build a bike using an MTB frame (eg On-One Inbred or 456).