BHF London to Southend on my Rockhopper Pro

JohnBoyUK
JohnBoyUK Posts: 206
edited July 2009 in MTB beginners
My mate has signed me and two other mates up to do the BHF London to Southend ride on 19th July. We're all doing in on our MTBs so should be a laugh.

I'm doing it on my Rockhopper Pro 09 so would it be worth buying slick tyres for the route? Should I be making any other adjustments to my bike?

Is anyone else here doing the L2S or have done it before?

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    If it is an on road ride, it will make a huge difference having road tyres, or even smooth mtb tyres.

What tyres do you have at the moment?
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • soy_sauce
    soy_sauce Posts: 987
    yeah, full slick or semi-slick tyres will make big different. also get it up to around 60psi (depending of the tyres)
    "It is not impossible, its just improbable"

Specialized Rockhopper Pro Disc 08
  • mastermosher
    mastermosher Posts: 233
    Did both the London to Brighton and the London to Southend last year on my Rockhopper pro with Continental Travel contacts with no probs. Managed the LTS in a little over 4 hours with no problems.
    I don't mind what they say... as long as they say its enormous
  • robertpb
    robertpb Posts: 1,866
    Ah the summer of 64 rode to Southend from my farm, 21 miles on a single speed.

It was a group of 8 the oldest 16, the youngest 9, just had a whim to ride there, caught the train back to Upminster though.

It was good the cycle path alongside the A127 was easy to ride in those days, mind you we didn't tell our mums where we were going.
    Now where's that "Get Out of Crash Free Card"
  • deeptheory
    deeptheory Posts: 76
    good stuff. i've just got my sponsorship forms through for the c2c. i think im taking the fundraising more serious than the ride itself! :D
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Done it for the last few years, first year on a road bike, managed just under 4 hours then last year on a MTB on some slicks (worth their weight in gold for this event) completly in the zone, with stopping and did it in 3.48!
    What i would suggest is lotts of fluid, Ipod, sweets, ipod, walkie talkies, ipod, obvious safety kit tubes etc and 100% dont forget your ipod.

I would be doing it this year with all my mates but i signed up for my first race series first which is on the same day?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • JohnBoyUK
    Dont think I'd ever be confident enough to ride on the roads with my iPod on. I tend to listen to rock and dance music mainly. There's no chance I'd hear a car coming if I was listening to Metallica.

Cheers for all the advice guys.

I've only my Rockhopper Pro a few weeks so I've just got the standard tyres on it at the moment. Can anyone recommend some decent slicks? Had my first puncture on a 40 mile ride at the weekend and learnt how to change my first ever inner tube lol. Having got the tyre half off to do the inner tube, I guess its quite easy to get the tyre completely off and change them over?!?!

Are the slicks narrower or just bald like a F1 slick? Please excuse my stupid questions...I've got the standard wheels which come with my Rockhopper so guess I'm limited to the width of the rims?

[/quote]
  • VWsurfbum
    yes your right the tyres are that easy to change!

they are slightly thinner, more like scalled down motorbike tyres than F1 slicks.
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • King Donut
    King Donut Posts: 498
    JohnBoyUK wrote:
    Dont think I'd ever be confident enough to ride on the roads with my iPod on. I tend to listen to rock and dance music mainly. There's no chance I'd hear a car coming if I was listening to Metallica.

To be honest I think the whole headphone debate is a bit overhyped. I ride the roads every day listening to my mp3 (including Metallica!) and I've never had a problems hearing cars. Obviously be sensible and don't have it too loud. For a long road ride like that I'd definitely do it.

Good Luck!!
  • VWsurfbum
    King Donut wrote:
    JohnBoyUK wrote:

To be honest I think the whole headphone debate is a bit overhyped. I ride the roads every day listening to my mp3 (including Metallica!) and I've never had a problems hearing cars. Obviously be sensible and don't have it too loud. For a long road ride like that I'd definitely do it.

Good Luck!!
    no worse than being in your car rocking out with the tunes up?
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    I have done L-S a few times and i'll be there tomorrow.

Done it last year in 2hours 58, was nice sunny day but the wind around haiingfield was like riding into a brick wall.

The wind this year should be mainly behind which will be good.

I have just damaged my speed sensor and cannot get another today so looks like i'll be without a speed which will make it a bit harder.

DEFINATELY have an ipod on but take the time to unplug and chat with others from time to time when riding. Hope the sun is out as the park in southend is great atmosphere and the best burger after 55miles.
  • babyshambles
    babyshambles Posts: 149
    How did you get on this ride - the last 10miles were hard with the wind.

I maganged to improve my time. completed in 2hrs 44mins :D
  • JohnBoyUK
    Hello.

Yep, I completed the London to Southend ride in a fraction over 4hr 30mins. Not bad for a first go at anything like this but as there was three of us and we all went at the same pace as the slowest in the group, didnt think we done too bad all in all.

Thanks to the advice on here to swap the normal tyres for slicks/semi-slicks. Swapped them for the Continental travel contacts and the ride was so much nicer lol.

I wasnt going to bother but took the bike out on Thursday night over Oxleas Woods (SE London) and got a really bad puncture which literally ripped my tyre in half... (thanks to the person who leaves broken glass on the blooming road!) so that made the decision for me.

You can see my trail of the L2S here (from my forerunner 405 watch): http://connect.garmin.com/activity/9176374