Gear Switching high to low Issue on Dawes Discovery 201 EQ

riker71
riker71 Posts: 6
edited June 2009 in The workshop
Hi, just got the bike 1 week back (link below to specs)
http://www.dawescycles.com/p-168-discov ... gents.aspx

and had to return it once after 3 days already after receiving mail order (evans) to fix the gears which were slipping, on middle chainring it was going from 1st to 3rd when I switched to 2nd and so on, always 1 gear more than it should have been. Was also slipping from one to another without doing anything. That problem solved and now it is when I am switching down gears from high to low, seems very temperamental, when I press the thumbpress on the Shimano EF-50 shifters straight in smoothly and back out it does not change gear but can hear the rear derailleur grating, if I press for longer and hold it in it sometimes changes but it seems I have to get it exactly right or it wont change. If I keep switching back through it will change eventually but is taking a long time. I dont think ti should be this tricky - Never had this problem before. No problem changing up gears, everything smooth. I dont want to have to take it back again as is a long way away and means arranging transport. Is there anything I can alter myself to make the gear transition from high to low smoother or does it sound like a fault? It is doing this on all 3 chainrings when going from high to low - seems worse giong from 6 to 5 to 4 than the other gears. Any help appreciated from a Newbie!

Comments

• whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,702
    From your description of what you're doing with the shifters, it sounds like you're having trouble going from a larger sprocket to a smaller one? Little terminology correction: The 'higher' gear is the smaller cog, where it becomes harder to pedal. Correct me if I've read something wrong though.
    On the rear derailleur, you will notice a barrel adjuster (the part that the cable goes into, shown on the final picture on your link). This adjusts the cable tension, and so how the gears shift. If I'm right about the shifting being bad from a larger cog to a smaller one, you need to turn this clockwise (looking from the back of the bike) until the shifting is smooth both up and down. From your description, it probably won't need much more than a quarter of a turn. Obviously if I've misread and you're having trouble going from a smaller cog to a larger one, it needs turning anti-clockwise.