Scottish Audax Noob Chat!

Comments

• lmk1
    lmk1 Posts: 95
    Maybe after the Forfar audax I can set up an unofficial Radar Randonneurs 100k for the end of the summer around these parts.

Excellent idea the unfortunately named contributor with the spongebob logo describing himself as skinny git on bianchi and i were up to fife 2 weeks ago. We found route here which included st andrews> tayport (via some backroads)> newport> leuchers>st andrews. it was great route and made pleasant change from clydesdale. it was only about 25 miles so we'd have to build upon it. a venture over the tay bridge could be included, just to say we'd crossed it if nothing else.
  • lmk1 wrote:
    Maybe after the Forfar audax I can set up an unofficial Radar Randonneurs 100k for the end of the summer around these parts.

Excellent idea the unfortunately named contributor with the spongebob logo describing himself as skinny git on bianchi and i were up to fife 2 weeks ago. We found route here which included st andrews> tayport (via some backroads)> newport> leuchers>st andrews. it was great route and made pleasant change from clydesdale. it was only about 25 miles so we'd have to build upon it. a venture over the tay bridge could be included, just to say we'd crossed it if nothing else.

You found the flats bits then :D We have many elevated bits that may cause you to become reacquainted with some muscle groups that may have been dormant of late.

Include a trip over the Tay Bridge noooooooo go over to the dark side at your peril
  • screebs
    screebs Posts: 178
    We'll need name badges at this rate! :lol:
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • lmk1
    'We have many elevated bits that may cause you to become reacquainted with some muscle groups that may have been dormant of late.' surely not a catty comment Satan's budgie??
    it was a flat run which was one of the major attractions, that plus the weather forecast for the day! There are some hills round here, clydesdale, to but after a couple of weeks on holiday and out of the saddle a flat run was the order of the day.
  • lmk1 wrote:
    'We have many elevated bits that may cause you to become reacquainted with some muscle groups that may have been dormant of late.' surely not a catty comment Satan's budgie??
    it was a flat run which was one of the major attractions, that plus the weather forecast for the day! There are some hills round here, clydesdale, to but after a couple of weeks on holiday and out of the saddle a flat run was the order of the day.

No offence meant it I am sure your muscles can deal with all of our climbs admirably; I sometimes forget that not everyone finds coaxing leg muscles into action as difficult as I do.

I have the flat and down hill bits fixed just need hills for the full set.
  • lmk1
    no offence taken see you in forfar/ fife
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    themightyw wrote:
    ... Maybe after the Forfar audax I can set up an unofficial Radar Randonneurs 100k for the end of the summer around these parts.
    I'd be up for that!I could set up base camp at the Old Dear's and get a washing done while I'm out on the bike. Result! :D

The cake stops'd have to be good, mind. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Im going to look at making up a 100KM route over the next couple of nights. I did a lot of racing/clubruns in Fife when I lived on the "Dark Side" :wink: I know quite a lot of good roads in the area, make it nice and hilly if you like .......

LMK1 - Another option might be to extend the Sanquar run, just need to add about 20 miles to the route we did (Lanark to Abington?) etc 8)
    Skinny Git on a Bianchi.
  • lmk1
    me skiddtpants are you determined to force home the point that clydesdale has some hills to poor satan's budgie, the route we did had a total climb of 2,500ft! from leadhills to the radar station adds another 1000ft and an extra 10 miles but i'd have to give that extension to the run a miss!!!
    if you plan a fife route with a trip to the dark side that sounds sensible. most of the fellow contributors have crossed the forth on route to st andrews so crossing the tay would be excellent.
  • I could knock together a 100 km route with over 5000 feet of up based around Cupar with ease, taking in Cults, Glenfarg and Falkland hill but to name a few.

I was under the impression that this run, suggested by TheMightyW, was for newcomers to enjoy, not a test of endurance and hill climbing abilities.

Personally I would like participants to be challenged, but not destroyed by the experience unless they have masochistic tendencies.

As an example this route http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14648 is 101 km has about 900 m of climbing can be done either way and is on rural roads or roads that carry light traffic.

My quip about hills may have been misinterpreted it was no more than a comparison between the area mentioned and the rest of Fife which for some inexplicable reason is thought of as flat
  • AMcD
    AMcD Posts: 236
    I could knock together a 100 km route with over 5000 feet of up based around Cupar with ease, taking in Cults, Glenfarg and Falkland hill but to name a few.

As an example this route http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14648 is 101 km has about 900 m of climbing can be done either way and is on rural roads or roads that carry light traffic.

Never been up Falkland Hill but presume it's the road from Falkland to Leslie? Have often thought of including it one weekend but have never yet plucked up the courage. Went up it in the car once and the views were fantastic though.

As for the route you've posted looks spot on at 101km and the downhill to Strathmiglo is great if you're thinking of that direction :wink: . You may have noticed I haven't committed myself yet - I presume you'll be doing it in a bunch and, well, I'd have to turn my legs over like a hamster on a wheel to keep up .................... however if you gave me a good head start...................... I could meet you somewhere near the end :D
  • AMcD wrote:
    I could knock together a 100 km route with over 5000 feet of up based around Cupar with ease, taking in Cults, Glenfarg and Falkland hill but to name a few.

Never been up Falkland Hill but presume it's the road from Falkland to Leslie? Have often thought of including it one weekend but have never yet plucked up the courage. Went up it in the car once and the views were fantastic though.

As for the route you've posted looks spot on at 101km and the downhill to Strathmiglo is great if you're thinking of that direction :wink: . You may have noticed I haven't committed myself yet - I presume you'll be doing it in a bunch and, well, I'd have to turn my legs over like a hamster on a wheel to keep up .................... however if you gave me a good head start...................... I could meet you somewhere near the end :D

It’s not a race it’s a bike ride with navigation thrown in for confusion and embarrassment. :D

If I could manage an average of 13.5 mph for this route I would be more than happy. I thought Cupar, Newburgh, Grenfarg , Fruchie, Star, Cults, Ceres, Pitscottie. The little loop out to Kemback may not be needed; I think the drag out of Kemback back onto the Cupar road may be climb to far.

The coast road above the Tay is very nice indeed (did it today), the road from Newburgh to Abergaie can be a little bit busy and the climb to Glenfarg is steady but not harsh. Those who wish to do just 50m can turn left on to the A91 which is a straight but busy road back into Cupar.

The route takes us round the side of Falkland Hill not over it. From the A914 cross roads the road there is a steep (20%) but short climb up with the road levelling off once on top of the hill and undulates to Star. From Star to the start point is undulating with some short challenging lumps.

I only put this route up as an example of what Fife has to offer, It is up to the great and good to decide if it is a runner.
  • richara3
    richara3 Posts: 153
    edited August 2009
    lmk1 wrote:
    is anyone a member of West Lothian Clarion/ been out on them on any of their rides. From their website they look like a friendly bunch who're not all out racers! they even mention 'no one gets left behind' which appeals to me!

I am in thet very clarion.. It is a friendly bunch that are mainly into fast road riding ,racing, TTs and do tend to go at a fastish pace. They do wait for the slower guys/girls though ( re ...me!) The Saturday run is generally the faster shorter run and the sunday is generally the longer slightly easier paced run.. All in they are a great bunch and will make you feel welcome I am sure. They tend to ride around the Bathgate hills/becraigs area, Slamanan , Avonbridge out to Dalmeny and Queensferry and round the bridges. Many of the 60 or so members do their own thing at weekends or through the week so there is usually someone to ride with. As an indication they seem to average 15 or so mph maybee a little faster depending on whos out. The saturday runs are between 20 - 40 miles and sundays maybe 40-50 miles ... all just a guide obviously.. There are more than a few that like the hills though but dont let that put you off. Go along for a few rides and make up your own mind.

I like the idea of these audaxes you talk of, If I get the oportunity I will sign up for some and keep an eye on this thread.

I like the sound of this. http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14648. May I invite myself along if it happens?.. By the way Ive got the panniers already I just need to fit the mudguards...

Andy
  • Crapaud
    That route looks a good'un, SB! I don't think I've ridden 95% of the roads so that's always a point in it's favour. :D I'll leave it to youse Fifonians to hammer the fiinal route out.

Anyhoo, the important stuff... no mention of a cake stop. I'll assume that you've given it some thought, have included it in your choice of route and are keeping it as a surprise. :wink:
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • Crapaud wrote:
    That route looks a good'un, SB! I don't think I've ridden 95% of the roads so that's always a point in it's favour. :D I'll leave it to youse Fifonians to hammer the fiinal route out.

Anyhoo, the important stuff... no mention of a cake stop. I'll assume that you've given it some thought, have included it in your choice of route and are keeping it as a surprise. :wink:

Cake as well, if you insist. :o If the route is adopted then I will check out possible stops about half way and adjust the route accordingly. Have one in mind http://www.pillars.co.uk/. There is a garden centre with cafe at Freuchie and there may be something in Glenfrag (pub). :D

Route would need a proper recce if adopted, for the navigation/ direction sheet and some additional signage just to keep everyone on route at the difficult or unexpected turns.

Given my gentlemanly pace I would be happy to act as guide / pace man for those of a similar disposition, just need a fast man to lead out the sprinters for the pub.
  • Joycie
    Joycie Posts: 127
    richara3 wrote:
    I am in thet very clarion..

Intrigued as to what they do on a Thursday night near Champfleurie? They always have the signs out at about 7pm saying that there's a cycle race in progress. (I'm the one with the red face, heading west, cycling home from Edinburgh)
  • themightyw
    themightyw Posts: 409
    That looks like a cracking route! What I particularly like about it is that I pretty much know all the areas but they're not the roads I know.

Have been laid up for a week here with a chest and throat infection - really blooming hoping it clears up in the next day or so or the Lethnot is going to be hell :/
  • lmk1
    richara3 wrote:
    lmk1 wrote:
    is anyone a member of West Lothian Clarion/ been out on them on any of their rides. From their website they look like a friendly bunch who're not all out racers! they even mention 'no one gets left behind' which appeals to me!

I am in thet very clarion.. It is a friendly bunch that are mainly into fast road riding ,racing, TTs and do tend to go at a fastish pace. They do wait for the slower guys/girls though ( re ...me!) The Saturday run is generally the faster shorter run and the sunday is generally the longer slightly easier paced run.. All in they are a great bunch and will make you feel welcome I am sure. They tend to ride around the Bathgate hills/becraigs area, Slamanan , Avonbridge out to Dalmeny and Queensferry and round the bridges. Many of the 60 or so members do their own thing at weekends or through the week so there is usually someone to ride with. As an indication they seem to average 15 or so mph maybee a little faster depending on whos out. The saturday runs are between 20 - 40 miles and sundays maybe 40-50 miles ... all just a guide obviously.. There are more than a few that like the hills though but dont let that put you off. Go along for a few rides and make up your own mind.

I like the idea of these audaxes you talk of, If I get the oportunity I will sign up for some and keep an eye on this thread.

I like the sound of this. http://www.bikehike.co.uk/mapview.php?id=14648. May I invite myself along if it happens?.. By the way Ive got the panniers already I just need to fit the mudguards...

Andy

Delighted to hear from someone from West Lothian Clarion, thanks for advice, i'm busy next weekend but may well come over for the sunday run.
  • richara3
    Joycie wrote:
    richara3 wrote:
    I am in thet very clarion..

Intrigued as to what they do on a Thursday night near Champfleurie? They always have the signs out at about 7pm saying that there's a cycle race in progress. (I'm the one with the red face, heading west, cycling home from Edinburgh)

That will be the club 10 mile TT from the bus stop ish to kirkliston roundabout and back.

Andy
  • richara3
    Delighted to hear from someone from West Lothian Clarion, thanks for advice, i'm busy next weekend but may well come over for the sunday run.[/quote]

Its racing season for a few of the guys so the sunday runs MAY be a little quiet....unless its a nice day. You should check out the forum under club rides to see whos going...

Andy
  • themightyw
    Gutted as I have been on antibiotics with a severe throuat and lung infection for the last week and a half now, haven't even looked at the bike. If I don't get better in the next day or so I might have to consider missing the Lethnot and Lunan. Boo.
  • AMcD
    themightyw wrote:
    Gutted as I have been on antibiotics with a severe throuat and lung infection for the last week and a half now, haven't even looked at the bike. If I don't get better in the next day or so I might have to consider missing the Lethnot and Lunan. Boo.

Doesn't sound good MightyW - sorry to hear you might miss Lethnot and Lunan, you'll probably feel wasted when you first get back on the bike even if the infection's cleared up :cry: - but, chin up, you'll be better in time for the inaugural Radar Randonneur 100km :lol: .
  • screebs
    I too might have to give L&L a miss on Sunday.

Have only been out for one light spin since Mont ventoux 4 weeks ago, went out on my bike yesterday morning at 5.45am with the intention of doing c30 or 40 miles in preparation for Forfar on Sunday.

6 miles in I was on the Waterfoot farm road and turned into a blind bend at the same time as a 4x4, cue much braking from both of us! I end up on the deck hurtling towards the car wheels and thankfully stopped about 2 feet short. My water bottle wasn't so lucky! :shock: It was 6am he wasn't expecting me and i wasn't expecting him!

I have cut and bruises all down my left side - nothing serious though. I was very lucky. 8)

Bike has a severely buckled front wheel - I had to carry my bike a mile or so to ThorntonHall Train Station and then phone a taxi to come and pick me up!

My bike went into the LBS this morning to get fixed - rim is cracked, so it's a new front wheel for starters. Hopefully, there is no frame/fork damage - a quick inspection last night never showed up anything.

So, that was my weekend training gone and little likelihood of me getting out later this week prior to Sunday. I'll see how i feel later on in the week, but just now i'm in the "doubtful" category.

Crapaud - i will make a decision one way or the other by Friday afternoon> If i'm going, the offer of a lift still stands. Is that ok?

SCREEBS
    Me struggling up Mont Ventoux for the first time! Done it 3 times since (each way up) without stopping. This seems like a lifetime ago! http://img208.imageshack.us/i/snapshot2 ... 45552.tif/
  • themightyw
    We're a healthy bunch, aren't we? Look forward to seeing your scars at the office Screebs - thank god it was nothing more serious. For what it's worth if I feel fit enough to do it I'm planning to take it very slowly... We could always limp along at the back.
  • AMcD
    Hey, I wasn't expecting to be in company on this ride! :wink:

Seriously, hope your cuts and bruises heal quickly Screebs and your wheel gets fixed.

I've also had problems with my bike (seriously annoying slipping gears) and have had to replace the chain, cogs and cables after thinking it was just a stiff link - so no long run this weekend but I think the rest so near to Lethnot will only make me stronger (I will probably regret saying that) :D .
  • screebs
    themightyw wrote:
    We're a healthy bunch, aren't we? Look forward to seeing your scars at the office Screebs - thank god it was nothing more serious. For what it's worth if I feel fit enough to do it I'm planning to take it very slowly... We could always limp along at the back.

I'm walking round the office like an old man (or an older man to be exact!) :lol:

I was joking about it with one of the guys in the office this morning - today was his first day back since being hit by a lorry 6 months ago when training for the etapecaledonia, Seeing him walking with a walking stick having went through major back surgery certainly put a few scrapes and bruises into perspective rather sharply.

Hopefully i will feel better come the end of the week and might feel up to it - we'll see. It's a sorry tale on here tonight! :lol:
  • Crapaud
    screebs wrote:
    ... I have cut and bruises all down my left side - nothing serious though. I was very lucky. 8) ...
    Glad to hear that you're all right, Screebs. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope both you and the bike have a swift recovery.

Don't worry about me, I've got transport anyway, so it changes little for me.
    themightyw wrote:
    Gutted as I have been on antibiotics with a severe throuat and lung infection ...
    I'd keep off of the bike until it clears up, TMW. Exercise can spread an infection and make it worse, so take it easy - there'll be other rides on other days.

If you're not going to make it through, it'd be a good idea to e-mail the organiser so that he's not hanging about waiting for late arrivals that won't be.

GWS the 2 of you.
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    . It's a great book and such a shock when the first person is shot![/quote]

Not any more !!
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • AMcD
    cycologist wrote:
    . It's a great book and such a shock when the first person is shot!

Not any more !!

:lol::lol::lol: Perhaps I should have written "when the first person is *&$%!"

Sorry to spoil the fun, but it's worth a read anyway :) .
  • screebs
    Crapaud wrote:
    screebs wrote:
    ... I have cut and bruises all down my left side - nothing serious though. I was very lucky. 8) ...
    Glad to hear that you're all right, Screebs. It sounds like it could have been a lot worse. Hope both you and the bike have a swift recovery.

Don't worry about me, I've got transport anyway, so it changes little for me.
    themightyw wrote:
    Gutted as I have been on antibiotics with a severe throuat and lung infection ...
    I'd keep off of the bike until it clears up, TMW. Exercise can spread an infection and make it worse, so take it easy - there'll be other rides on other days.

If you're not going to make it through, it'd be a good idea to e-mail the organiser so that he's not hanging about waiting for late arrivals that won't be.

GWS the 2 of you.

I've decided that the best way to get over my crash last weekend is to get back on the bike - so count me back in for L&L on Sunday. 8) I'll be taking it easy right enough!

Just need to make sure i remember to pick up my repaired bike from my LBS. :lol:

Crapaud - I've Pm'd you about transport up to Forfar.

See you all Sunday!