second bike

knedlicky
knedlicky Posts: 3,097
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I’m looking for a second bike, not top line but still decent. I’ve arranged with 3 local shops to test-ride the following offers this weekend (one bike at each shop) but would like to hear any advance comments about bike performance or value for money from anybody.

1. BMC Streetfire SSX, with Shimano 105 and Fulcrum Racing 7 wheels – supposedly originally about £1500, reduced to £795.
2. Giant TCR C2 ONCE team replica, with Campa Centaur and Mavic Open wheels - supposedly originally about £1950, reduced to £995.
3. Bianchi Via Nirone, with Campa Veloce and Miche/Ambrosio wheels – supposedly originally about £1095, reduced to £665.

I’ve tried looking for test reviews of the bikes but what info I’ve found is rather scanty and amounts to:

- the BMC Streetfire SSX is generally okay in all respects
- the Giant TCR ONCE replica is not rigid enough for heavier riders (I’m not), and pretty sensitive, but considered optimal in comfort
- the Bianchi Via Nirone is good from a price-value sense (initial price meant) as well as in looks and sprightlyness, but the wheels are considered inferior