TOB Tour Ride

2»

Comments

• thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    I didn't enjoy it at the time but I am now. It was the first road event I have done (145km was a bit of a baptism of fire :D) so I was pleased that it went OK :)

There were a couple of points where they could have done with some more/bigger signs but it was obvious when you had just ridden past the junction you were meant to take.
    Also didn't like some of the potholes before one of the feed stations: they were quite big but had recently been surfaced over so you couldn't see them. Happens everywhere though.

There was a minor crash in front of me. Someone rear ended another rider who stopped for a car at a junction. Nobody hurt and bikes were OK but the girl's timing chip fell off. I stopped and told her she'd lost something but she wouldn't go back and look to see what it was until I picked it up and told her what it was. 10-15 people just rode straight past though (some saw what happened) without asking if everything was OK :?

The times are up on www.tourride.co.uk . My name isn't on the list though :cry: They said they didn't have any timing chips for people who signed up on the day :( I managed 5h37m though which I thought was respectable!
  • benjboy
    benjboy Posts: 258
    I did the 145km route it was brill really enjoyed myself and met some great riding partners during the day.Defo would do another one only quicker lol,great day out. :D
    Keep the chain tight all the way.
  • i went to BUXTON in derbyshire as i overshot a very poorly placed sign which was meant to take me left , the hill i had to climb apparently made Gun Hill look like a gentle slope by comparison , i also met another sportive rider in Buxton and on the way back we picked up several more stragglers on the A53 who also missed the sign , however , the views from up on the moors made it really worthwile and i also learnt that FLASH is the highest village in England ! i,ve never ridden a sportive before that didnt give you a direction sheet (not a map) that gave you every junction and turn at whatever mile/kilometre , maybe thats something that could be included for next year ?
  • Photos are now online, very high standard as usual.

http://www.philoconnor.com/

Cheers
  • Brilliant day out with a craicin route to boot.

Never done a sportive before but have worked on organising races at lower levels.

#Food was excellent, way above expectation. Plenty of choice and friendly staff to serve and offer you whatever you wanted to choose from - them energy bars aint cheap either!!
    #Organisation at start/finish was above expectations for a sportive - inline with quality for a top race like the TOB.
    #Staffing was great, helpful and friendly.

#Marshalling was missing at some major turns - ie crossing a lane for right turns.
    #Signage was too small or even lacking - Within the first 30 miles I, with about 10 others, took a wrong turn at the first major r/a and afterwards came across many others who had also taken a wrong turn or two - not a good start on a 145km ride!
    #There was absolutely no KOM signage, no marking to say the climb had started, no 1km to go sign, no marking at the top! Pretty major mistake in what was supposed to be a TOB stage.
    #Like others, I thought it was all over bar lumps after the last climb at Gunn Hill - nope! Okay, for the fittest it probably was but for the average, or below average, the next 2 where just an annoyance but the 3rd was surely tougher than Gunn Hill! Ok, it was maybe shorter in distance but it didnt stop in gradient where Gunn Hill steps up in 3 ramps with 3 easier spots for recouperation. I walked half of it! And it wasnt named in the guide.

Would I ride it again?
    Well not this week but yes next year I would do it again.

Was it worth the £40 when others are much cheaper?
    Def worth £40 - havent done others to compare but judging from others comments I can see where the money was spent....and it was spent!

Could the organisers do better next time?
    Yes but thankfully the biggest areas are covered and the things that need improved wont cost much in value so can and should be put right.

Would I reccomend it to anyone?
    Big Yes!! Nothing beats riding an ACTUAL Tour Route that you will see being raced soon after and with the professionalism to match.
  • Glad to see so many people enjoyed it, the photos look great too. I know the organisers have/are looking at this, so any feedback or comments will get back to them and help make it an even bigger success next year.

Anyone doing the London ride next week (Sat 19th) before the final stage? I think it'll be a lot more sedate and family orientated for anyone that found the Pro Ride a bit too hard! Should make for a cracking days racing next Wednesday though, can't wait for Gun Hill!
  • thistle_
    thistle_ Posts: 7,141
    PD 2009 wrote:
    Anyone doing the London ride next week (Sat 19th) before the final stage?
    Someone at work was thinking of doing it.

Only 2 laps though for £50? Think I'll give that one a miss :?
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Took EBH 3hrs 15 today to win the stage - I'm not saying how long it took me !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Yeah but it wasn't as long - the pros only did 134km, the sportive route was 145km.
  • graeme_s-2
    graeme_s-2 Posts: 3,382
    I did it. Had a great day up until the 70 mile mark when I drank the energy gel that the organiser's had given us in the goodie bag we got in the morning.

Anybody else who did the ride will be wondering what energy gel I'm referring to. Unfortunately, it was this energy gel:

4617000-4134483-thumbnail.jpg

I made it another 2 miles and then threw up into a hedge at which point one of the marshals dialled 999, so I did the last 18 miles in an ambulance and finished at North Staffs A&E instead of the Britannia. I got given a glass of milk at the hospital and had to promise a doctor that I wouldn't drink degreaser again. All the NHS staff and the marshal were brilliant.

By the time I got back to the Britannia the race organisers had retrieved my bike from the hedge, and I was officially "that guy who drank the degreaser". Really enjoyed the day, but concentrated bicycle degreaser is of questionable nutritional value. Just say "no" kids!
  • weapons
    weapons Posts: 367
    Glad to hear you're ok!

That's the first thing I thought might happen when I opened the goodie bag to find the degreaser disguised as an energy gel!!
  • Crayton wrote:
    I got some pictures here from todays ride

http://www.robcrayton.co.uk

Sorry but the images are in time order not rider number, so you will have to look through in time order. I was roughly 20 mins from the start

hi rob -- see what you've done to me, got me hanging around in bike forums! I didn't think was hard to locate my pictures .. thanks...

This was my first ever organised ride, I just did the short route and thought is was really great. Echo what others have said .. lovely people and good organisation.

Went up town to watch the finish live today, and now waiting for the TV to click onto ITV 4 --- what a lovely thing it is to see so many people taking an interest in cycling round here ..

xxxxx
    This post is a natural product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way should be considered flaws or defects
  • it doesnt say much for the taste of the genuine gels does it, that you actually managed to swallow it whilst probably thinking " mmm this is better tasting than the blueberry one i had last time"
    Actually i did wonder(like weapons did) on seeing it in the pack if someone would mistake it for a gel ,looks exactly like one imo
  • graeme_s-2
    morgs2001 wrote:
    it doesnt say much for the taste of the genuine gels does it, that you actually managed to swallow it whilst probably thinking " mmm this is better tasting than the blueberry one i had last time"

I took a mouthful, thought "that tastes absolutely revolting, what flavour is it?" and then looked at the packet to see what flavour it was, while also wondering if it was past it's sell by date. I then realised my mistake!

A motorcycle riding marshal was coming up behind me, so I flagged him down, we had a chat (his first question being "why did you just drink degreaser?") and agreed that I'd try to finish and he'd ride with me. Two miles later I threw up and he called an ambulance.
  • glad you are ok Graeme , shame about missing the ride.If you wanted to do it I live just off the route ,would be a willing partner if you fancied giving it a go again .Took me 6hrs 35mins just as a guide for you if you did .

regards
  • graeme_s-2
    morgs2001 wrote:
    glad you are ok Graeme , shame about missing the ride.If you wanted to do it I live just off the route ,would be a willing partner if you fancied giving it a go again .Took me 6hrs 35mins just as a guide for you if you did .

regards

Thanks for the offer. I might consider giving it a go in a couple of months, so I'll be sure to let you know if I do.

Was in my LBS today and told them my little tale of woe, much to their amusement. They actually sell the same brand of degreaser in those sachets, and said they'd joked about someone mistaking them for a gel and how awful they'd be to drink :lol: :roll: