Custom Giant Yukon 09

ellsbells1973
ellsbells1973 Posts: 537
edited August 2009 in Your mountain bikes
not sure if the pics have uploaded properly at the bottom
2009 giant yukon fx3
rock shox dart 2 (bobbins and soon to be upgraded)
stock giant rear shock
race face evolve xc low riser bar
race face evolve xc stem
stock giant seatpost but race face evolve post on order
full shimano slx groupset inc brakes, except for upgraded xt shadow rear mech
mavic 717 rims, deore disc hubs, black db spokes
crank brothers candy c pedals
lizard skins lock on grips
stock giant saddle soon to be a charge spoon
dont know where giant get their bike weights from this was supposed to a 34lb bike, since the upgrades it weighs in at 30.8lb now,i think if i can get an air fork instead of the rubbish dart coil fork i should hit 28lb not bad really as it only stands me at £900 inc price of original bike

bike007e.th.jpg
bike003.th.jpg
bike004.th.jpg
bike005e.th.jpg
bike006r.th.jpg

Comments

• chorscroft
    chorscroft Posts: 254
    3660209541_a4d052091e.jpg

Nice bike :wink:

Nearly got a Yukon myself before deciding to go custom, seem to be great bikes for the price.
  • thedirge
    thedirge Posts: 181
    Got the same bike myself, looking at bits to upgrade and I can't really see anything. Going to give it some welly first.

First thing I'm going to aim for is the rear cassette and derailer, got some x7 shifters from a very nice forum member so they will play a big part too.

Oh did change the saddle to a belair, the seatpost and bars are quite uninspiring but functional. The brakes are a bit weak too, I'll try and wear the pads down first then swap them out.
    Consequences.... are just a harmless by-product of having a good time, all the time.

Thinking about things isn't the same as doing things. Otherwise everybody would be in jail.
  • i have changed saddle to a charge spoon from leisure lakes, merlin cycles were out of stock of the bel air which isnt surprising as they were selling it for £20 and still waiting for my race face post to arrive, though to be honest the mx4 brakes which came with the bike seem a little bit better than the new shimano slx brakes which are now fitted, wether they need bedding in or not i dont know
  • chorscroft wrote:
    3660209541_a4d052091e.jpg

Nice bike :wink:

Nearly got a Yukon myself before deciding to go custom, seem to be great bikes for the price.

Thanx, i was close to getting the singlespeed duster myself, but chose this, i dont think i wouldve regreted either decision really, as upgrading is what this is all about
    p.s how did you manage to put the quick link to your duster in the post as i have read the posting pictures bit and it doesnt seem to work for me, i am obviously doing something wrong
  • chorscroft
    chorscroft Posts: 254
    [@url=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3341/3660209541_a4d052091e.jpg] Giant Yukon Fx3 [/url@]

Giant Yukon Fx3

Take away the "@" symbols to make it display as below.

Then just change the text to whatever you want it to say and the image address to which picture you want :wink:
  • thedirge wrote:
    Got the same bike myself, looking at bits to upgrade and I can't really see anything. Going to give it some welly first.

First thing I'm going to aim for is the rear cassette and derailer, got some x7 shifters from a very nice forum member so they will play a big part too.

Oh did change the saddle to a belair, the seatpost and bars are quite uninspiring but functional. The brakes are a bit weak too, I'll try and wear the pads down first then swap them out.

i have changed the saddle to a charge spoon from leisure lakes since i took the picture, merlin cycles were out of stock of the bel air which isnt surprising as they were selling it for £20 and i am still waiting for my race face post to arrive. to be honest the mx4 brakes which came with the bike seem a little bit better than the new shimano slx brakes which are now fitted, whether they need bedding in or not i dont know, and i cant believe how much weight it has dropped from standard kit to what it is now considering i still have the original dart fork which weighs over 5lb
  • chorscroft wrote:
    [@url=http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3341/3660209541_a4d052091e.jpg] Giant Yukon Fx3 [/url@]

Giant Yukon Fx3

Take away the "@" symbols to make it display as below.

Then just change the text to whatever you want it to say and the image address to which picture you want :wink:

cheers for that
  • Chilesy
    Chilesy Posts: 152
    Really nice ,A few of my mates are looking at the 08 models ,Love the looks :D:D:D
  • just rearranged handlebar lay out moving shifters inward for one finger braking, i had no idea shimano provided a cover on the back of the removeable pod to place over the working parts :D feels so much better than original workshop layout

morebike001.jpg
  • have now got my matching race face seatpost, but have gone back to the standard saddle after i broke one of the rails on my charge spoon, have also ditched the candy c pedals and gone for dmr v8 in baby blue after what seemed like a small tumble at gisburn forest turned out to cause a blood clot on my hip, seriously who hides tree stumps in long grass