TdF last stage in paris

discurio
discurio Posts: 118
edited June 2009 in Pro race
hi,
i have some friends flying in from aus to stay with us for a few weeks and we have decided to go to paris for the final stage of the tour (along with a few hundred thousand others)
has anyone on here been?
any tips on where to try and view from?
discuss

thanx

i know their australian but please no cadel bashing here :lol:
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information

Comments

• LorneC
    LorneC Posts: 149
    The recent newsletter for my L2P ride suggests that on the Sunday it is advisable to get to the Champs Elysees at about 10am in order to be guaranteed a good view of the race...
    Already signed up for the following 2010 rides:

Etape Caledonia (May 16th)
    AMR's Trossachs Ton (June 20th)
    AMR's Cross-Border Sportive (Sept 19th)

http://www.twitter.com/LorneCallaghan
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Get there early. Take folding chairs - but you'll still have to stand for the last few hours as the crowd builds up. Probably better going off the Champs - less crowded and they still go past. I've watched it twice in Paris now, and thats enough for me.

I much prefer the mountains.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Someone told me to just look for the tower and head there.

It was dull as anything, no bike racing, just some delapidated trams and sorry looking donkeys on the beach.
  • yourpaceormine
    yourpaceormine Posts: 1,245
    Been in paris the past couple of years for the final stage. Been on the champs elysee itself - bonus you get to see the riders twice. The crash barriers do mean that you are quite some way from the road though.

Last year was near the exit from Concorde metro station on rue de rivoli, just before the place de la concorde. Good spot as that was wheer lots of attacks were mounted. Good wode road too. Very busy. The police stopepd access to the pavement it was so crowded.

Go early, very early. Take lots and lots of drinks.

Have fun!
  • jocksyboy
    jocksyboy Posts: 135
    I went last year and had a great time. Not sure the missus did though!!
    Couple of points.
    How tall are you? if you are over 6 foot you will probably be able to see anywhere on the Champs and no need to turn up early otherwise you are in for a long wait....

In all honesty not much happens before about 4pm - although the atmosphere is great. some of the bars and restaurants overlook but it ain't cheap!

If you want to go nearer the finishing line you will need to get there early as it is rammed from very early on.

Bonus about being at Arc de Triomphe end is the team photos after the presentations ( a good hour after the finish) again you'll need to get there early even if you are tall as there are lots of trees in the way.

Have fun take suncream!!
    When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race. ~H.G. Wells
  • discurio
    discurio Posts: 118
    thanx guys.

6.5 feet tall myself so im covered, but going with a trio of short arses. was thinking of getting in nice n early too. i'm so doing the mountains next year with more forethought and planning. cant wait.
    I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    NapoleonD wrote:
    Someone told me to just look for the tower and head there.

It was dull as anything, no bike racing, just some delapidated trams and sorry looking donkeys on the beach.

:lol:

Surprisingly good fish and chips for France though!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}