Polar CS200cad computer any good?

mfin
mfin Posts: 6,729
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Thinking of buying a Polar CS200cad computer...

Anyone know if they perform fine Stem mounted? ie. any problems with reliability of the signal to the cadence sensor in particular? ...in fact are their any signal problems at all speed/cadence/hrm?

Also, manual stopwatch? is that a function that it has, I can't see that listed anywhere.

Its this or a Cateye V3 but there's better deals on this one at the moment.

Comments

• Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I've never had any problems with mine and it's stem mounted.
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    I'm on a 62cm frame with the computer stem mounted, no issues.
  • mfin
    Good stuff, I thought it was worth asking as I seem to remember reading there are problems with cadence reception if you stem mount it you see.
  • aarw
    aarw Posts: 448
    cadence can be fiddly to set up initially, the sensor must be VERY close to the magnet to work and it only picks up after 10 second or so of use by the time it calibrates the rotation of the cranks. ie, rotating the cranks a couple of times wont work as a test when setting up.

Other than that, plain sailing.
  • BigG67
    BigG67 Posts: 582
    I've had one for 3 years and run it on the stem, speed and cadence, with no problem - my bike's a Look size L.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    No probs on the stem. On either of my bikes. My favoured spot.
    Rich
  • Biscuiteer
    Biscuiteer Posts: 143
    You can use the 'lap' function to time discreet parts of your ride within the current exercise session. All 'lap' times will be available to review at the end of your ride too. Is that what you mean by having a stopwatch on it?
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I've got one and would certainly not buy another. Mine will not work on the stem and it's been a nightmare to set up every time I change a wheel the magnet has to be very close to the sensor. If the battery goes in the sensor you can't replace the battery because it's a sealed unit and a new sensor costs £20+. I also use a Cat eye which I have found to be much more reliable.
  • Geoff55
    Geoff55 Posts: 7
    I have been using polar HRMs for almost 20 years,initially for fell and road running, and since my knees said stop, for cycling. Nine weeks ago I got a C200 from Wiggle. Worked right out of the box.....well, they did give me enough zip ties to re-fix speed sensor. Two weeks ago added Cadence sensor....and naturally, everything works. I have set up a training programme on polarpersonal trainer.com and we are working towards 100ml ride in early August. Buy with confidence. It does what it says on the tin.
  • JAGGY
    JAGGY Posts: 167
    edited June 2009
    Hello

I've had no probs with mine. Excellent bit of kit. Got it set up on two bikes with two sets of speed and cadence sensors and it works fine.. Just wish they combined the two sensors on a rear mount for simplicity. But you can't have it all ways. Got mine form dolphin fitness which will price match if you ring them up.

However i cannot get the unit to talk to my Acer laptop for uploading data. Can anyone help me on this?

Cheers
  • mfin
    Biscuiteer - yeah lap timing will do what I mean.

Sounds like most people are happy with them and one person prefers the Cateye V3, I suppose the Polar is more advanced being able to get all the data out of it and track your training progress on their website thing.

Saying that the Cateye v3 is one sensor on the stay I take it, so a little neater on the installation and the unit itself looks a little less plasticky. Hmmm. Well, thanks for the input but the Polar probably does sound like a good bet at £79 from Dolphin Fitness that was mentioned.

Cheers
  • Slow Downcp
    Slow Downcp Posts: 3,041
    I may be selling mine, along with additonal fitting kit, speed and cadence sensor for second bike, as I've been given a Garmin 705 for my birthday today from my wife and kids :D
    Carlsberg don't make cycle clothing, but if they did it would probably still not be as good as Assos