Probably a really numpty Q about pursuit....

Nickodemus
Nickodemus Posts: 94
edited June 2009 in Track
Hi all,

Basically i've taken a big break from cycling for about a year now, where i've gone back to my rowing routes, but am finding that the demands of rowing training (time organised around 3 or 4 other guys meaning that training is usually at 4:50am or late at night in the summer) are taking their toll on home life, so am thinking of going back to cycling and more specifically the track (which i've only ever tried once before, at the Calshot taster session thing) after Henley Regatta next week or maybe Nat Champs in a few weeks.

Anyway...i'm most interested in the pursuit event, whether it's team or individual, but can't really seem to find any info on how to get into it.

I guess Reading is the nearest track near to me, with Calshot next (still over an hour's drive), but Reading has nothing on their site (that i can see) about pursuit, and the calshot site just talks about the various course they offer...

I'm not too interested in the group races; if i wanted to do that i'd do road races, but i really fancy the head to head aspect of pursuit.

Any help or advice would be great.

Many thanks,

Nick
"Bite off more than you can chew, and chew like hell!!"

Comments

• Cranks
    Cranks Posts: 129
    Sounds like you need to contact a group/club who have regular sessions at your nearest track. Some clubs are well into pursuiting, some sprinting, ask about and help will appear.

Good luck!
  • Eddy S
    Eddy S Posts: 1,013
    Nick,

You will struggle to find any track leagues that run IP and TP throughout the season. These events take too much time out of limited track time and tight schedules.

Reading TL does run IP and TP but these are effectively one race events unless you make the finals.

You have just recently missed the League and Divisional IP events at Reading.

The Divisional Club TP event is being run on 7th July. You should get down there and talk to the clubs and teams that participate - you won’t get a better opportunity to chat and find out more.

http://www.readingvelodromeracing.co.uk/racing/default.aspx - see events 4 & 6
    http://www.readingvelodromeracing.co.uk/racing/regionalchampionships.aspx

The primary IP and TP events in the UK are at the Nationals and IP events at the Masters. Again, they are one ride events unless you qualify for the finals at the Nationals.

The other thing that you might consider is getting a coach who can help with specific training, pacing strategies, etc.

Hope this helps a bit.
    I’m a sprinter – I warmed up yesterday.