What am I missing?

thelawnet
thelawnet Posts: 719
edited June 2009 in MTB beginners
I bought a bottom-of-the-line Giant hybrid.
This is the spec of my bike:

MODEL SEDONA
FRAME AluxX aluminium
FORK RST 191 63mm travel
HANDLEBAR Steel riser
STEM Adjustable quill
SEAT POST Suspension pin
SADDLE Giant
PEDALS Resin anti slip
SHIFTERS Shimano EZ Fire 50 21 speed
FRONT MECH Shimano C050
REAR MECH Shimano Tourney
BRAKES ProMax linear pull
BRAKE LEVER Shimano
CASSETTE Shimano 14-28 freewheel
CHAIN KMC Z51
CRANKS Prowheel 28/38/48
BOTTOM BRACKET Cartridge
RIMS Aluminium 26"
HUBS Joy Tech
SPOKES Steel
TYRES Kenda Breaker 26x1.95'' puncture resistant

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/lifestyle/2474/32880/zoom/

I understand that each of these components are basically el-cheapo. For instance, I think 'Tourney' is bottom-of-the-line Shimano.

The Mrs. has an upgraded version (DX), which, for instance, has Shimano Acera rather than Tourney rear mech.

I can't say I can tell the difference. But perhaps someone could explain - does it make gear changing that much smoother?

Obviously some parts of a bike are more important than others, like her chain is a KMC Z72, mine is a Z51. I looked it up, the K72 is an 8-speed chain, whereas mine is 7-speed, and it says the K72 has 'high pin-power' (whatever that means) and 'extended durability'.

But how much does it really matter? Which parts on a bike are most critical in terms of the difference between el-cheapo and a better-qualtiy one?

Comments

• skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    I can't say I can tell the difference.

The "better" parts on your partners bike will probably be:
    1. Fractionally lighter
    2. Built to slightly closer tolerances
    3. Be slightly smoother in operation

To sum up, not alot of difference - in fact, you could get better performance from well-adjusted "cheaper parts" than from poorly-adjusted "higher specification" parts. I wouldn't bother replacing any parts until they're worn out, and only then consider the "higher-spec" alternatives. :)
    Cycling weakly
  • .blitz
    .blitz Posts: 6,197
    It's all to do with the old engineering maxim
    * light
    * cheap
    * strong
    choose any two.

There's very little difference between the components when they are new but the expensive stuff can take a lot of abuse and stay sharp a lot longer. A light bike is built from light components and although a few grams per component may not sound like much, it all adds up.

Of course this weight-saving and quality comes at a price and the law of diminishing returns strongly applies as you move further up the range.
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    If you were to go from the Tourney stuff that you have (assuming that the brake levers are encorporated into the gear shifters?) to basic Deore; you will actually increase the weight of the bike. I did this with my bike over the past few months and I have to say it was a great choice. The Deore can really take a beating in comparison, everything just works so much smoother too.