bike box blag

ginger1
ginger1 Posts: 94
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
I'm flying over to france in the summer and couldnt bare to go without my bike. Long shot I know, but I dont suppose there's someone in the Oxford area who would be willing to lend/hire me theirs for a couple of weeks in August?

cheers

Comments

• disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    Go to your LBS and get a cardboard one. Not ideal but if its only for 2 flights will be fine and is FREE!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • ginger1
    That was going to be my last resort! Have you done it before?
    Still dubious of trusting baggage handlers with my bike only wrapped up in cardboard....
  • Mister W
    Mister W Posts: 791
    TBH they'll take more care if the box looks a bit fragile. Hard boxes will get thrown about with the other luggage but a cardboard box will be handled more gently.
  • richa
    richa Posts: 1,631
    You could hire a hard box from a local LBS. About £25-50/wk.
    Rich
  • Friends of mine have took their bikes to Spain, France, Switzerland, USA, Nepal packed up only in cardboard boxes and have never had problems.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • disgruntledgoat
    ginger1 wrote:
    That was going to be my last resort! Have you done it before?
    Still dubious of trusting baggage handlers with my bike only wrapped up in cardboard....

When I was young and couldn't afford a bike bag/box i did it every year when I went abroad to race. As long as you bubble wrap/ pipe lag your bike, take the mech and bars off and aren't travelling too far without a trolley/car it's absolutely fine.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • Wooliferkins
    Wooliferkins Posts: 2,060
    Ginger,
    I've got a bike bag you can borrow. It's got a metal frame in it so the bike is secured by the wheel skewers. Got my tourer around the world on commercial and military transports just fine. I'll need to check it as it's been in the attic a couple of years but otherwise feel free.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • ginger1
    thanks to all for advice.
    Wooliferkins, very kind offer. Thanks. If you get a chance to have a look in the loft, please let me know. Where do you live?

disgruntledgoat, If i use a cardboard box do I carry the wheels seperately, or just take them off the bike and pack them in the box?
  • My friends packed everything in the same box. They've done it with both MTB's and roades.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • disgruntledgoat
    ginger1 wrote:
    Wooliferkins, very kind offer. Thanks. If you get a chance to have a look in the loft, please let me know. Where do you live?

disgruntledgoat, If i use a cardboard box do I carry the wheels seperately, or just take them off the bike and pack them in the box?

I always just stuffed mine in campy wheel bags with the skewers removed, one each side of the frame.

@gietvangent
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    how much is your bike worth?

i take it more than the cost of a decent hard case?

one of my mates is a baggage handler and after some of the stories hes told me about how luggage is mis-handled i wouldnt send my bike on a plane in anything less than a hard case
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • Wooliferkins
    ginger1 wrote:

I'm in Wantage, I'll have a look tonight.
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed
  • Wooliferkins
    Bag just fine. Not sure about the Japanese soldier who wanted to know if the war was over, but it's a while since I've been in the attic. Give me a call at work if you want to use it. Followe the link below
    Neil
    Help I'm Being Oppressed