Cross bike from Halfords C2W?

pudding
pudding Posts: 5
edited June 2009 in Road buying advice
Hi.

Im new to cycling and am intending to buy a new bike through this scheme. I'll only be using the bike for leisure. no commuting, and it'll be mainly on roads but also tracks/slightly off-road. I've read the forums and come to the conculsion that a cyclo-cross bike would be good for me? Hope thats correct?

With that in mind, I need to choose one of these bikes I can source through Halfords. I was quite keen on getting the Focus Mares, but have read Halfords dont deal with Wiggle, so that rules that out. The other option is the Spesh Tricross Sport. Are there any other bikes I should consider?

Also I was thinking of buying a set of road wheels and tyres to switch over to for when I ride solely on roads. Could I get these through the scheme? OR should I purchase other things to bring the total spend up to £1000 like helmet, and get the wheel/tyre from somewhere else?

Also, what pedals should I choose, say if I wanted to get some shoes to clip in but would also be fine with normal shoes? Do these even exist, or is it either or?

Sorry for so many questions.
Thanks for any replies.

Comments