New Bling for the Pinnacle

cat_with_no_tail
cat_with_no_tail Posts: 12,981
edited September 2009 in Your mountain bikes
In true Biketart style here are some pics of the pinnacle now I have added some nice bling.

It all arrived yesterday, we have:

New Fire XC tyres in blue.
A2Z Gold Headset spacers
Outland Lockon grips in Gold
Hope Bolt-on Seatclamp, Gold
A2Z Skewers, Gold
KCNC Jockey wheels, Gold
KCNC Crank Bolts, Gold
KMC Gold Chain
New SLX cassette 11-32 (replacing the old XT 11-34 cassette)

newbits.jpg

Once I had fitted it all to the bike, I noticed that the lettering on the tubes had started to rub off in places, so I spent a large portion of last night removing the rest of it.

Unfortunately, I was unable to fit the Crank Bolts just yet, as I seem to have mis-placed the T-40 torx bit that I need :roll:

25062009001.jpg

What I want now is some Gold Braided gear cable housing.

What a tart! 8)

Comments

• Whytepeak
    Whytepeak Posts: 2,616
    So what is the theme :lol:
    Now that we are strong ought to bear the infirmities of the weak and not to please ourselves. ROMANS 15:1
  • Kiblams
    Kiblams Posts: 2,423
    I demand larger photos! :P

What do you mean by the lettering on the tubes? I have images in my head of you rubbing the white writing off your innertubes :?

Very nice looking bike, is almost a shame that the fox frks arent silver and not white for the colour scheme. Where did you get those tyres from and how much?
  • cat_with_no_tail
    What do you mean by the lettering on the tubes? I have images in my head of you rubbing the white writing off your innertubes

Not too far off the mark, I rubbed the white writing off the frame.

If you look here: http://www.pinnacle-bikes.com/Previous+ ... ntId=1268#

you will see Pinnacle written on the frame, and some kind of design printed on the top tube.

This had started to rub off already, so I finished the job.

The frame is now just metallic blue with no lettering or squiggly design stuff

might be clearer on this pic:

250620090012.jpg

In addition to the tarty bits, I am looking at buying a Richley Carbon Seatpost, Stem and Bars. Might have to wait till next month though.

Those forks are a bit scuffed anyway, I may do something with them eventually, or I may just replace them. I plan on keeping the bike for a while anyway. with the cost of decent forks these days, it can wait till they stop working before I do anything like that.

Tyres are just Panaracer Fire XC Pros (2.1) I got these ones from woolyhatshop for the bargain price of 23 squids each
  • Where did you get the KCNC Jockey wheels please
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    Where did you get the KCNC Jockey wheels please

http://www.readytoridecycles.co.uk/index.asp

£25 for normal ones, and £39 for Ceramic bearings

They do loads of pimpin' gear there. Be warned though, you can get some of it cheaper elsewhere.
  • Kiblams
    Blimey, How the hell did you 'rub' the frame decals off? Mine has very similar decals and I don't think it will be possible to do that same.

Must admit I do prefer the bike without the silver lines all over it. Might have a go with mine, will make it a little less 'tribal' :P
  • cat_with_no_tail
    When the lines were fresh, it looked ok, but as they start to wear off, it just looks like the frame is scratched.

All i did was *very carefully* scrape them off with a scalpel. I have had a good look over the frame today and I havent put any scratches in it or anything. Dont think the decals had been applied very well though as I was able to scratch some of those lines off with just my thumbnail.
  • Kiblams
    Ah right, think I will wait to see if I get the same issue before I decide to take a scalpel to my beloved frame :? You gotta have some patience to do that! :P

How old is the bike? Have had mine almost 7 months now and have ridden it at least 5 times a week, no sign of decals rubbing off yet.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    lol, yeh it did take me a while.

I have had this bike since Feb, I also go out about 5 times a week. Mine wasn't new though, it was one of the Evans demo fleet before I got it. All the components were as new, but the decals were already starting to rub off.

I wouldnt have even thought about trying to scrape them off if they hadnt already started coming off on their own. Last thing you want is to replace nice silver decals with great big chicken scratches all down the frame.

How do you find the frame on the HT? I was really impressed with the way mine rides, puts a lot of much more expensive bikes to shame really.
  • gezzza
    gezzza Posts: 324
    Word of warning regarding the KCNC Jockey wheels mine destroyed themselves in 6 months. They developed so much play that my gears constantly slipped took me a little while to track down the problem.

They were nice while they lasted.
  • Kiblams
    Being as cheap as mine was I have to say that I have been amazed day in day out by the frame (the rest of the components not so much :P ) have been chucking it though some pretty harsh conditions recently and I really couldn't ask for more. Apart from chips off the paint around the chainstays and the top-tube the frame is holding up very well under my 16st bulk. :D

I should mention however that my experience with other 'proper bikes' (have owned 'Argos specials' and a Raleigh) is very limited.
  • you paid a lot for those KCNC JOCKEY WHEELS
    jus found some in France for 17£ a pair
    try this website
    http://www.fizzbikes.com/?topic=index&cat=4
    I assume this is French petrol - be careful in reverse - the car will retreat rapidly at the least provocation.
  • cat_with_no_tail
    you paid a lot for those KCNC JOCKEY WHEELS
    jus found some in France for 17£ a pair
    try this website
    http://www.fizzbikes.com/?topic=index&cat=4

All well and good if you live in France. I would have to pay 10 Euro delivery though
  • So in the end, I decided against selling the old girl, and decided by way of an apology, I'd treat her to some noew carbon bling.
    Thought I'd give flat bars a try.
    Just taken delivery of some tasty Raceface Next SL carbonage for the front end.
    Sorry about the pics, taken in the garage at work on a camera phone.
    Also sorry for the plastic flats :oops: SPD shoes have just come out the washing machine and are still wet.
    carbonage1.jpg
    03092009003.jpg

Also got a nice Deus XC stem to go with it.

03092009001.jpg

Got an FSA Carbon Seatpost on the way too. Will upload pics when it arrives (hopefully later today)
  • scale20
    scale20 Posts: 1,300
    Rather than replace your forks why don't you strip them down and get the lowers custom painted?

I know a few people that have done that and they look well.
    Niner Air 9 Rigid
    Whyte 129S 29er.
  • scale20 wrote:
    Rather than replace your forks why don't you strip them down and get the lowers custom painted?

I know a few people that have done that and they look well.

That's the plan actually. Going to wait until the next service is due, and send the lowers off while I already have them in bits. Got to find somewhere that knows what they are doing though.

I'm hoping to get a Fritzz in the new year, so I'll probably wait until that arrives. Was going to sell this and replace it with a hardtail, but now I think I'll keep it and just see how light I can get it over time. Seems a shame to get rid of a perfectly good bike.