I-Phone on the Bike

The Wrong Bike
The Wrong Bike Posts: 14
edited September 2009 in Road buying advice
hello, has anyone tried to fit there I-Phone onto the handlebars? I was thinking of using the mapping tool for touring about and also tracking my rides.

It must be possible?

Comments

• bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Dunno, but the nokia 5800 is a cheaper and better phone and you can get a widget to attach it to the bars for £5.99 on ebay. I'm sure you can get similar widgets for the iphone as well, if they were apple branded they would be £49.99 and designed so that no matter what you did you couldn't fit any other gadget onto it.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    Won't battery life be an issue, particuarly for touring? And waterproofing....
    More problems but still living....
  • FSR_XC
    FSR_XC Posts: 2,258
    Trying to use the GPS for long periods on most phones drains the battery very quickly.

i Phones are renowned for poor battery life too.

Great idea though, as the apps you can get mean following a preset route is easy.

I great invention would be using some sort of dynamo to keep your phone charged up.
    Stumpjumper FSR 09/10 Pro Carbon, Genesis Vapour CX20 ('17)Carbon, Rose Xeon CW3000 '14, Raleigh R50

http://www.visiontrack.com
  • FSR_XC wrote:
    Trying to use the GPS for long periods on most phones drains the battery very quickly.

Great idea though, as the apps you can get mean following a preset route is easy.

I great invention would be using some sort of dynamo to keep your phone charged up.

I have a G1. There are loads of biking GPS tracker apps for it but I reckon I'd get about 2-3 hrs max battery life out of it which sort of makes it redundant. Especially if you then need your phone for an emergency :roll:

I'm liking the dynamo idea though.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    FSR_XC wrote:

I have a G1. There are loads of biking GPS tracker apps for it but I reckon I'd get about 2-3 hrs max battery life out of it which sort of makes it redundant. Especially if you then need your phone for an emergency :roll:

I've got 4.5 hours out of a G1 using my tracks for a ride. Was at 100% when i left the house and 15% on my return.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • FSR_XC wrote:

Cool I'll give it a go tomorrow. I love my G1 just wish the battery lasted longer.

I've got 4.5 hours out of a G1 using my tracks for a ride. Was at 100% when i left the house and 15% on my return.
    Bianchi. There are no alternatives only compromises!
    I RIDE A KONA CADABRA -would you like to come and have a play with my magic link?
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    YOU UTTER GEEKS!

whats wrong with a map and a compass and anyway have you never heard of roadsigns? :D
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    To be fair... Mine was in my back pocket for the duration. I just like it as a review tool later on, plus it draws yr profile!
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • I'd like a mount, for shorter routes it would be good to record. And it's always handy if you get lost! I refuse to cycle on main roads and country lanes can get a bit confusing!
    http://www.KOWONO.com - Design-Led home furniture and accessories.
  • amaferanga
    amaferanga Posts: 6,789
    YOU UTTER GEEKS!

whats wrong with a map and a compass and anyway have you never heard of roadsigns? :D

Since getting a Garmin Etrex HCx I cycle a different route every weekend using mostly minor lanes in the Peaks without ever getting lost or spending time at every junction wondering where next. There's nothing geekish about GPS on a bike. In fact I'd go as far as saying that the Legend HCx has made more of a difference to the enjoyment of my rides than any other purchase.

So stay in the 20th century with your maps and compass if you want, but don't go knocking GPS until you try it :P
    More problems but still living....
  • fast as fupp
    fast as fupp Posts: 2,277
    amaferanga wrote:
    YOU UTTER GEEKS!

Since getting a Garmin Etrex HCx I cycle a different route every weekend using mostly minor lanes in the Peaks without ever getting lost or spending time at every junction wondering where next. There's nothing geekish about GPS on a bike. In fact I'd go as far as saying that the Legend HCx has made more of a difference to the enjoyment of my rides than any other purchase.

So stay in the 20th century with your maps and compass if you want, but don't go knocking GPS until you try it :P

oh and i forgot to mention my sextant-id be lost without it!!
    'dont forget lads, one evertonian is worth twenty kopites'
  • anyone tried this thing:
    http://www.mapmyfitness.com/shop/ibikemount-iphone-bike.html

seems to only have had good reviews from what I can see.
  • anyone tried this thing:
    http://www.mapmyfitness.com/shop/ibikemount-iphone-bike.html

seems to only have had good reviews from what I can see.

Hmmm, that does look quite good but "economy" shipping to the uk is $85 :shock:
  • I saw that. piss take. I then found the company selling them on ebay, much more reasonable!!
  • I saw that. wee-wee take. I then found the company selling them on ebay, much more reasonable!!

oooh, link?
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    I saw that. wee-wee take. I then found the company selling them on ebay, much more reasonable!!
    If you're trying to sell stuff to Apple fans it always makes sense to pitch the price really high, they'll interpret it as "must be because of the design and build quality and besides, it'll make me more attractive to women"
    They'll then save you a fortune in marketing costs by going on any web forum where someone dares to criticise Apple in order to shoot the vile heretic down in flames.
  • Road: Felt AR0, Di2
    Touring/commute: Dolan Multricross
    TT: PX Exocet Sold because it was like a sail in the wind (sh*t)
  • I saw something in the advert section of Bicycling magazine this month.
    There is never redemption, any fool can regret yesterday...

Be Pure! Be Vigilant! Behave!